Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Fill in the blanks, which is BASED ON IBPS PO/CLERK/LIC AAO/RRB & SSC CGL EXAM and other competitive exams.
- Certainly, strategic engagement of a conflict-ridden region can never be a______________affair yet the balancing of these contradictions can throw up______________surprises.
1) immediate, lingering
2) straightforward ,unanticipated
3) strenuous, synthesis
4) instant, pooling
5) arduous, squaringAnswer – 2)
Explanation: straightforward ,unanticipated
straightforward – uncomplicated and easy to do or understand.
unanticipated – not expected or predicted.
- The U.S. has had a deeply______________love-hate relationship with Pakistan since the Soviet intervention in Afghanistan in 1979 through to 2001, and______________.
1) laborious, formal
2) instantaneous, thereupon
3) precipitous, eventually
4) onerous, subsequently
5) puzzling , thereafterAnswer – 5)
Explanation: puzzling , thereafter
puzzling – causing one to be puzzled; perplexing.
thereafter – after that time.
- While being on the same side of the reigning hegemon is smart statecraft, a failure to cater for______________futures would be______________.
1) alternative, shortsighted
2) burdensome, lengthen
3) precipitate, prolonged
4) feasibility, protracted
5) practicability, overlongAnswer – 1)
Explanation: alternative, shortsighted
alternative – (of one or more things) available as another possibility or choice.
shortsighted – having short sight.
- Another______________is the lack of rise in wages commensurate with the growth in employment,______________prices and consumption.
1) attainability, prevailing
2) abrupt, distinguish
3) gruelling, affiliating
4) instance, impacting
5) grinding, stiffAnswer – 4)
Explanation: instance, impacting
instance – an example or single occurrence of something.
impacting – come into forcible contact with another object.
- The current government has chosen to show little______________for the common man as it has repeatedly______________indirect taxes on the sale of petrol and diesel.
1) rapid, inflexible
2) achievability, diligent
3) exhausting, induced
4) concern , increased
5) inelastic, arousedAnswer – 4)
Explanation: concern , increased
concern – relate to; be about.
increased – become or make greater in size, amount, or degree.
- He managed to protect the common man from the pain of______________by introducing the mechanism of petrobonds to finance the deficit______________by oil marketing companies.
1) swift, provoke
2) potentiality, exposed
3) tiring, suffered
5) fatiguing, sustained
4) hyperinflation, incurredAnswer – 4)
Explanation: hyperinflation, incurred
hyperinflation – monetary inflation occurring at a very high rate.
incurred – become subject to (something unwelcome or unpleasant) as a result of one’s own behaviour or actions.
- The present government is loud, solitary, and acts with a______________force object, adopting a take-no-prisoners approach, lacking even a______________of empathy for the common man.
1) blunt ,modicum
2) wearying, fierce
3) wearisome, intense
4) conceivability, agonizing
5) probability, excruciatingAnswer – 1)
Explanation: blunt ,modicum
blunt – become subject to (something unwelcome or unpleasant) as a result of one’s own behaviour or actions.
modicum – (of a cutting implement) not having a sharp edge or point.
- Let not the sound of what we would like to hear from Washington______________our attention from the strategic realities of the______________.
1) distract ,neighbourhood
2) opportunity, piercing
3) fusing, elementary
4) coalescence, pushover
5) coalition, exerciseAnswer – 1)
Explanation: distract ,neighbourhood
distract – prevent (someone) from concentrating on something.
neighbourhood – a district or community within a town or city.
- The______________of this relationship needs to be properly understood by India when fashioning its own______________.
1) indispensability ,response
2) mingling, acute
3) meld, stabbing
4) integration, stinging
5) concoction, manageableAnswer – 1)
Explanation: indispensability ,response
indispensability – absolutely necessary, essential, or requisite: an indispensable member of the staff.
response – a verbal or written answer.
- Shorn of the______________and the feel-good melodrama, something every government in New Delhi has a strong liking for, a cold, closer look at the U.S. policy towards Southern Asia shows several inherent______________.
1) conjunction, exquisite
2) fusion, severe
3) rhetoric, contradictions
4) amalgamation, doddle
5) blend, straightforwardAnswer – 3)
Explanation: rhetoric, contradictions
rhetoric – the art of effective or persuasive speaking or writing, especially the exploitation of figures of speech and other compositional techniques.
contradictions – a combination of statements, ideas, or features which are opposed to one another.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification