On September 27, 2021, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight tested the new version of Akash Missile namely ‘Akash Prime’ from Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur, Odisha. It was the missile’s maiden test in which an unmanned aerial target was destroyed.
- Akash Prime is a medium-range mobile surface-to-air missile (SAM) system developed by the DRDO and produced by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL).
- It is developed to replace the Russian 2K12 Kub (SA-6 Gainful) missile system, currently in service.
The test was monitored by the range stations of ITR comprising Radars, Electro Optical Tracking System (EOTS) and Telemetry stations.
Key Modification Akash Prime:
i.It is equipped with an indigenous active Radio Frequency (RF) seeker for improved accuracy.
ii.The ground launcher of the existing Akash weapon was modified for its advanced variant.
iii.It is also optimized for low temperature environments at higher altitudes.
About Akash Missile:
It is the cheapest SAM with a range of 27 km ever produced in the world with supersonic interception capability.
- It is a nuclear-capable missile with speed up to Mach 2.5 (nearly 860 metre per second) at a maximum height of 18 km.
- It can strike enemy aerial targets like fighter jets, drones, cruise missiles, air-to-surface missiles as well as ballistic missiles from a distance of 30 km.
Points to be noted:
i.In March 2021, DRDO developed the Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet (SFDR) technology. Click here to read
ii.The Akash-NG (New Generation) is another variant of the Akash Missile which was successfully flight-tested in the month of July 2021. Click here to read
- It was developed by Defence Research & Development Laboratory (DRDL), Hyderabad in collaboration with other DRDO laboratories, Akash-NG is being produced by Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) and Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL).
Recent Related News:
Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL) signed a INR 499 crore contract with the Ministry of Defence (MoD) for manufacture and supply of Akash Missiles (Surface-to-Air Missile System) to the Indian Air Force (IAF).
About Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
Parent Ministry– Ministry of Defence (MoD)
Chairman– Dr G. Satheesh Reddy
Headquarter– New Delhi