Defence Research & Development Organization (DRDO) successfully tested the New Generation (NG) Surface-to-Air missile ‘AKASH-NG’ Missile for the Indian Air Force (IAF) & Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM) for the Indian Army.
- The Akash-NG missile was flight tested from Integrated Test Range (ITR) off the coast of Odisha, while the MPATGM missile was test fired from a man portable launcher.
It has a range of 60 kms and can travel up to 2.5 times the speed of sound (2.5 Mach).
- It is developed by Defence Research & Development Laboratory (DRDL), Hyderabad.
- It will prove to be a force multiplier for the air defence capability of the Indian Air Force (IAF).
- The New Generation Missile is set to be produced by Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) and Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL).
MPATGM is a low weight, fire and forget Missile. It has a maximum range of 2.5 km with a launch weight of less than 15 kg. It is developed by DRDO.
- It is equipped with modern Miniaturized Infrared Imaging Seeker along with advanced avionics.
- The testing brings the development of indigenous 3rd generation MPTAGM to completion. It will strengthen the combat capabilities of the Indian Army.
- It is set to be manufactured by Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL).
Recent Related News:
i.June 25, 2021, DRDO successfully test-fired the nuclear capable subsonic cruise missile ‘Nirbhay’ from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur, Odisha.
About Defence Research & Development Organization (DRDO)
Chairman – Dr G Satheesh Reddy
Headquarters – New Delhi