On December 15, 2020, Department of Posts (DoP) launched the DakPay UPI app and conducted Meghdoot Award Function 2020 in the Conference Hall of Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) in New Delhi. It was attended by Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY), as the Chief Guest and Sanjay Dhotre, Minister of State (MoS) for MeitY as Guest of Honour.
- All the Chief Postmaster Generals and Meghdoot awardees attended the function through video conference.
- The Meghdoot award is an annual award to recognize excellence in postal service and is awarded in 8 categories.
- The General category for Grameen Daksevak was conferred upon Kirtan Nayak of Odisha Circle while the Best Woman Employee was presented to Rinchen of Himachal Pradesh Circle. Click Here for Full List
Other Important Events during the function are detailed as below:
Unveiling of digital payment app ‘DakPay:
As part of ongoing efforts to provide Digital Financial inclusion across India, the DoP and India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) have virtually unveiled a new digital payment app DakPay. Its launch was announced by Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad while its logo was launched by IPPB.
- The app will also provide digital financial and assisted banking services provided by India Post & IPPB which include Domestic Money Transfers (DMT), QR (Quick Response) based payments in merchant stores and online shopping on e-commerce websites.
- It allows users to create Unified Payments Interface (UPI) ID and link multiple accounts across banks through Aadhaar Enabled Payment System (AEPS).
MoU Signed between DoP & CSC e-Governance Services
A memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed by DoP with Common Services Centers (CSC) e-Governance Services India Limited for providing various G2C (Government to Citizen) and B2C (Business to Citizens) services to citizens in rural and remote areas by setting CSCs in more than 10000 Post Offices across the country.
- The B2C Services includes Bharat Bill Payment System-BBPS (Electric, Gas, Water bills etc.), Third Party Services such as EMI (Equal Monthly Instalment) collections, Travel services such as Ticket booking service would be available for Flight, Train and Bus Tickets.
- Post Offices (PO)-CSCs will lead to ease of living and ease of business.
Launch of ebook
DoP also launched an eBook named “India Post meets Covid-19 Challenge” stating the challenges faced and the solutions offered by India Post in the delivery of essential services to the remotest corner of the country during the COVD-19 pandemic.
Recent Related News:
i.DoP and United States Postal Service (USPS) have inked a MoU for Electronic Exchange of Customs data related to postal shipments.
ii.DoP released a commemorative postage stamp on the 75th anniversary of the United Nations(UN) Organisation. Dr. S Jaishankar, Union external affairs minister was the chief guest of the event.
About India Post Payments Bank (IPPB):
Establishment – 2018
Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)– J Venkatramu
Motto– Every customer is important, every transaction is significant and every deposit is valuable
Headquarter– New Delhi