AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Where was the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Defence Ministers’ Meeting 2019 held?
1) Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
2) Beijing, China
4) Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Nirmala Sitharaman, the current Defence Minister of India held a bilateral meeting with General Wei Fenghe, Honourable Defence Minister of China, in which they discussed regional and bilateral security issues. The meeting was held on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Defence Ministers’ Meet in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. Nirmala Sitharaman was in Kyrgyzstan on a 3-day visit to attend the SCO meet and to hold bilateral meetings with the member-countries on the summit’s sidelines. In the SCO ministerial meeting, the 8 member-states discussed on the different facets to raise cooperation to curb terrorism. The present SCO meeting is being held before the SCO summit, which would take place from 14th June to 15th June, 2019.
- Which institute has launched a new initiative named Global Registry of Violent Deaths (GReVD) ?
1) International Institute for Strategic Studies(IISS)
2) Stockholm International peace research institute (SIPRI)
3) Center for Strategic and International Studies(CSIS)
4) Peace Research Institute Oslo(PRIO)
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Stockholm International peace research institute (SIPRI)
Stockholm International peace research institute (SIPRI) has launched a new initiative named Global Registry of Violent Deaths (GReVD) to establish the annual number of violent deaths worldwide.GReVD will count deaths caused by all forms of violence and display these in an open-source database and enable monitoring of progress on the world’s commitment to ‘significantly reduce all forms of violence and related death rates everywhere’ by 2030 as set out in the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)—Goal 16.The database will enable policymakers and researchers and the general public to track trends in violence at global, regional, national, provincial, city and municipal levels.GReVD will hold a single entry for every violent death, including perpetrator, time, location, victim and type of violence.
- Where was the 11th meeting of the joint working group on counter-terrorism between India and Australia held recently?
1) New Delhi, India
2) Sydney, Australia
3) Mumbai, Australia
4) Canberra, Australia
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Canberra, Australia
The 11th meeting of the joint working group on counter-terrorism between India and Australia held at Canberra, Australia on May 2, 2019. Mahaveer Singhvi, Joint Secretary (Counter-Terrorism) led Indian delegation while Paul Foley, Australia’s Ambassador for Counter Terrorism led Australian delegation for the meeting. The objective of this meeting is to discuss the counter-terrorism challenges which both countries are facing such as financing of terrorism, the use of the internet for terror purposes, radicalisation and foreign terrorist fighters.The Joint Working Group also agreed to further deepen counter-terrorism cooperation through mutual capacity building efforts, regular exchange of information, mutual legal assistance, regular exchange of information, sharing of best practices on counter-terrorism and radicalization.
- Which country is set to host the 45th G7 summit in August, 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) France
India will be invited to the G7 summit at Biarritz, France.France, which is the chair of the G-7 grouping has invited India to the summit scheduled for August 24-26, 2019 where discussions will be focused on combating inequality. The group consists of US, UK, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and Italy.
- India’s largest telecom operator, Vodafone Idea Ltd has notified a 5-year multi-million-dollar with IBM in which of the following sectors?
1) Implementing IOT(Internet of Things)
2) IT outsourcing deal
3) 5G Implementation
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) IT outsourcing deal
Vodafone Idea Ltd, India’s largest telecom operator notified a 5-year multi-million-dollar IT outsourcing deal with IBM (International Business Machines Corporation). The collaboration will contribute to Vodafone Idea’s merger synergy objectives by decreasing its IT related costs.This partnership will offer Vodafone Idea with a hybrid cloud based digital platform to enable engagement with its 387 million subscribers (as of 31 December, 2018), thus boosting business efficiency, scale and easiness of its business processes. Moreover, IBM’s analytics, AI (Artificial Intelligence), IoT (Internet of Things) and security capabilities will boost Vodafone Idea’s progression.
- What is the growth projection of Asia-Pacific region in the year 2019, as per the Asian Development Bank?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 5.7%
According to Takehiko Nakao, President and Chairperson of Asian Development Bank, the Asia-Pacific region is supposed to grow at 5.7% in 2019 but the rising trade tensions might hinder its growth.ADB’s Asian Development Outlook 2019 report released in April states that developing Asia comprising of 45 countries is estimated to grow by 5.7% in 2019 (which is pointed out by Nakao). However, the growth outlook for developing Asia is approximated to come down to 5.6% in 2020.While addressing the opening session of the Board of Governors at ADB’s 52nd Annual Meeting, Mr. Nakao notified that the consumer and investor behaviour could diminish due to trade tensions between the nations. ADB’s lending hiked to a high of 21.6 $ billion in 2018 which was 10% higher as compared to 2017.
- Which department has signed joint agreement with Income Tax Department for decreasing black money generation?
1) Revenue Department
2) Financial Services Department
3) Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN)
4) Expenditure Department
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN)
The income tax (I-T) department and Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN) signed a joint agreement to enhance information exchange between the 2 firms and to arrest tax evaders and decrease generation of black money.The income tax department will exchange important financial information, namely, status of I-T (Income Tax) return filings, yield of business, gross total income, turnover ratio with GSTN.The 2 agencies are yet to decide on the procedure of information exchange for “automatic”, “spontaneous” and “request based” data.The principal of I-T (systems) or director general of I-T (systems) will sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with GSTN for exchange of such information.
- Which country has emerged as the top most country to attract Indian FDI with 52 projects in the year 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) UK
London & Partners (L&P), the Mayor of London’s promotional agency, in the new report analysis, based on FDI (Foreign Direct Investments) Markets and FDI Intelligence data stated that in 2018, the UK became the top-most nation to attract Indian FDI with 52 projects. US attracted Indian FDI with 51 projects while the UAE with 32 projects.Indian companies investing and expanding in London reached an all-time high in 2018, with 32 investment projects, which is a huge leap from 2017.Taxi hailing firm, Ola and Indian hospitality firm, OYO (On Your Own) have also notified investments in the British capital in 2018.
- Name the article, for which Nileena M S has won the Asian College of Journalism’s Award for Investigative Journalism, 2018.
1) Coalgate 2.0
2) Labor and Labor Movements
3) Racial and Ethnic Minorities
4) Work and Family
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Coalgate 2.0
The article titled ‘Coalgate 2.0’ written by Nileena M S has won the Asian College of Journalism’s Award for Investigative Journalism, 2018. The article was published in “The Caravan Magazine” in March 2018. The final jury which includes Gopalkrishna Gandhi, Nilita Vachani and Dr. A R Venkatachalapathy unanimously approved Nileena’s work as the winner. The Award comprised of a trophy, a citation and Rs. 2 lakh cash prize. The award was presented by John Micklethwait, Editor-in-Chief of Bloomberg News, who was also the chief guest at the journalism school’s annual convocation ceremony.Nileena’s article investigated the allotment of captive coal blocks in Parba East and Kanta Basan regions of Chhattisgarh. It also explored deforestation, relocation of people, loss of livelihood and denial of forest rights to tribals.‘Coalgate 2.0’ published in “The Caravan Magazine” is an excellent example of investigative journalism in the field of financial reporting.
- Name the Chief Economic Adviser (CEA) who has been included as the member of the Advisory Council to the 15th Finance Commission.
1) Ajay Narayan Jha
2) N. K. Singh
3) Dr. Krishnamurthy Subramanian
4) Arvind Mehta
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Dr. Krishnamurthy Subramanian
The Chief Economic Adviser (CEA), Dr. Krishnamurthy Subramanian has been included as the member of the Advisory Council to the 15th Finance Commission headed by N.K. Singh. The Advisory Council now has 12 members after inclusion of Chief Economic Adviser Dr. Krishnamurthy Subramanian. Other members include Dr. D.K. Srivastava, Dr. Indira Rajaraman, Dr. Arvind Virmani, Dr. Surjit S. Bhalla, Dr. Sanjeev Gupta, Prof. Pinaki Chakraborty, Sajjid Chinoy, Neelkanth Mishra, Prachi Mishra, Dr. M. Govinda Rao, and Dr. Omkar Goswami.
- To which country, Godavarthi Venkata Srinivas was appointed as the Ambassador of India?
4) Republic of Senegal
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Republic of Senegal
On 30th April 2019, ShriGodavarthiVenkataSrinivas (IFS:1993) was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Senegal. Presently, he is Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs.He succeeds Shri Rajeev Kumar, who is the High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Mozambique.He is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
- Bhushan Patil, President of which e-commerce payment system and digital wallet entity has resigned recently?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Paytm
Bhushan Patil, President of India’s mobile payment and commerce platform, Paytm has quit the company. In March 2016, he had joined Paytm after serving five years at Alibaba.com.Recently,Paytm and Paytm Mall together could raise anywhere between $1-2 billion from investors.eBay, American multinational e-commerce corporation is preparing to make an investment in Paytm Mall.
- Which country’s Airborne Early Warning and Control Helicopter named ‘Kamov Ka-31’ is set to be acquired by Indian Navy?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Russia
Ministry of Defence gave approval to Indian Navy to acquire 10 ‘Kamov Ka-31’ Airborne Early Warning and Control Helicopter for a deal worth of Rs 3,600 crore from Russia. These 10 helicopters would be deployed on the aircraft carriers and warships of the Indian Navy including the INS Vikrant and Grigorovich-class frigates. The Kamov Ka-31 helicopters will strengthen the capability of Indian Navy against aerial threats to its aircraft carriers and large warships.
- Name the journal that publish, the discovery of the first small-molecule inhibitors of the Streptococcus pyogenes Cas9 (SpCas9) protein by the team of researchers headed by Amit Choudhary.
1) Journal Nature
2) Journal Environmental Research
3) Journal of Biotechnology
4) Journal Cell
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Journal Cell
On 2 May 2019, In the journal ‘Cell’ researchers authored that the discovery of the first small-molecule inhibitors of the Streptococcus pyogenes Cas9 (SpCas9) protein could enable more precise control over CRISPR-Cas9-based genome editing. i. The research was headed by Amit Choudhary of the Broad Institute, Harvard Medical School, and Brigham and Women’s Hospital. These first small-molecule CRISPR-Cas9 inhibitors are much smaller than the previously discovered anti-CRISPR proteins.
- Name the former Chief Justice of Madras and Kerala High Courts, who passed away recently.
1) Justice Subhashan Reddy
2) Justice M. Patanjali Sastri
3) Justice Mehr Chand Mahajan
4) Justice Bijan Kumar Mukherjea
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Justice Subhashan Reddy
On 1 May 2019, Former Chief Justice of Madras and Kerala High Courts, Justice Subhashan Reddy died at the age of 76 in Gachibowli due to age-related ailments. He was born at Amberpet in Hyderabad in 1943. Justice Subhashan Reddy.He studied law at the University of University College of Law, Osmania University. He enrolled as an advocate in January 1966 and practiced Constitutional, Civil, Criminal, Revenue and Taxation laws.He retired in March 2005.In 1991, He was the judge of High Court of Andhra Pradesh and later served as Chief Justices of High Courts of Madras in 2001 and Kerala in 2004.
- When was Coal Miners Day observed?
1) 3rd May
2) 4th May
3) 2nd May
4) 1st May
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 4th May
On 4th May 2019, Coal Miners Day was observed to highlight the toughest profession and the people working in coal mines. Several communities raise awareness and funds on this day for other organizations in the coal mining area and workers.This day was established to show the appreciation for the sacrifices, honour the accomplishments and remember the tragedies that these hardworking individuals experience.The annual celebration of Coal Miners Day began in 1975. In the 18th Century, the industrial revolution started in Britain and later expanded to continental Europe and North-A merica.In 1880s New coal cutting machines were introduced.In 1912, Steam Shovels were used in surface coal mining.
- International Firefighters Day is observed annually on ______________?
1) 3rd May
2) 1st May
3) 2nd May
4) 4th May
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 4th May
On 4th May 2019,International Firefighters’ Day (IFFD) is observed to recognise and honour the sacrifices that firefighters make to ensure that their communities and environment are as safe as possible. The symbol for International Firefighters Day is a red and blue ribbon. The color red signifies fire and the blue denotes water. These colors also signify emergency services around the world.It was intiated 1994, after a firefighter named JJ Edmondson emailed out to his colleagues calling for an international holiday that would honor the sacrifices and triumphs of firefighters who died in a bushfire in Australia on 4th january 1999.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Who is the Chief Economic Adviser to the Government of India?Krishnamurthy Subramanian
- What is the Capital and Currency of United Arab Emirates(UAE) ?Capital: Abu Dhabi & Currency: United Arab Emirates Dirham
- Who is the Prime Minister of Senegal?Mohammed Dionne
- Where is the headquarter of Asian Development Bank(ADB) located?Mandaluyong, Metro Manila, Philippines
- Who is the Chairman of 15th Finance Commission?N.K. Singh