AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs May 24 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- On May 22,2018, Governments of India and which country joined hands to plan on running a joint operation to control wildlife poaching?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Nepal
The operation is to be conducted in Shuklaphanta National Park in Kanchanpur district on Nepal’s side and Krishnapur Wildlife Sanctuary in Uttar Pradesh. This move comes after both the sides realised that the two reserves are contagious to each other. This decision was taken at a joint security meeting held at Haldwani, Uttarakhand. There should be a regular surveillance at the border crossings to build a network to share information. Both India and Nepal will conduct joint patrol at bordering forest areas.
- India and ____’s joint military exercise Surya Kiran-XIII will be held at Pithoragarh district, Uttarakhand from 30th May to 12th June 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 5.None of these; Nepal
The exercise will see the participation of over 300 soldiers from Nepali and Indian armies. They will share their experiences of counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations. Surya Kiran is a bi-annual event. It is hosted alternatively by Nepal and India. Surya Kiran has the highest troop participation compared to other international military exercises with India. This exercise aims to conduct battalion level joint training with focus on counterterrorism operations in mountainous terrain.
- On May 23,2018, The Union Cabinet approved the ordinance of setting India’s first National Sports University in ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Imphal, Manipur
The ordinance for this proposal in on the lines of the bill introduced in Lok Sabha in August 2017. The proposed institute will focus on various areas likesports science, sports technology, high performance training. Manipur government has already granted land for the institute.Rs. 100 crore has been allocated for the institute .
- On 23rd May 2018, the Union Cabinet approved an ordinance to amend the which law, that provides homebuyers the status of creditors in the insolvency process?
1.Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Act, 2016
2.Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC) 2016
3.Essential Commodities Act
4.Essential Services Maintenance Act
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC) 2016
Through this amendment to the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, homebuyers are given the status of creditors in the insolvency process. This also eases some conditions for the micro, small and medium scale enterprises (MSMEs). These changes are part of the recommendations of a committee to review and recommend changes in the IBC. The government amended Section 29A clause of the IBC. It lists entities barred from bidding for companies under insolvency.
- India has announced its plan for hosting MI clean energy materials Workshop in October-November, 2018 at which city?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.New Delhi
On May 24,2018, India launches international incubator for clean energy innovators in MI3 at Malmo , Sweden. India announces its plan for hosting MI clean energy materials Workshop in October-November, 2018 at New Delhi . This decision was taken in the 3rd Mission Innovation Ministerial from 22-23 May 2018. India’s team was headed by the Union Minister for Science, Technology and Earth Sciences.Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- On May 24,2018, The World Health Organization (WHO) declared which country as the first country to eliminate Trachoma in South-East Asia?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Nepal
On May 24,2018, The World Health Organization (WHO) declared Nepal the first country to eliminate Trachoma. Trachoma was the second leading cause of preventable blindness in the Himalayan nation in the 1980s. The disease puts more than 190 million people in 41 countries at the risk of blindness. It is responsible for the blindness or visual impairment of around 1.9 million people worldwide.
- What is the rank of India in terms of competitiveness, in the annual rankings compiled by International Institute for Management Development (IMD)?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.44
United States has obtained first rank in the list. It is followed by Hong Kong and Singapore in the second and third place respectively. The Netherlands and Switzerland also have secured a place in the top five positions. India has improved one rank from last year and secured 44th position worldwide. It has been ranked the 12th most competitive economy out of the 14 Asian countries on the list. The other top 10 countries are: Denmark (6th), the UAE (7th), Norway (8th) and Sweden (9th) and Canada (10th).
- Which country recently submitted its instrument of accession to Chemical Weapons Convention to European Union (EU) to join the world’s chemical weapons watchdog?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Palestine
The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) said that, on 17th May 2018 Palestine deposited its instrument of accession to the Chemical Weapons Convention. The Convention will come into force for Palestine on 16th June 2018. The OPCW is an international chemical weapons watchdog. It has been acting as the implementing body for the Chemical Weapons Convention since 1997.
- On 23rd May 2018, Pentagon, the headquarters of the United States Department of Defense disinvited ____ from participating in Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.China
The RIMPAC is a biennial exercise. It is hosted by the United States. It is expected to begin in June. United Nations has uninvited China due to its militarization of islands in the South China Sea. China, Philippines, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia and Brunei have been fighting over the South China Sea for several years.
- On 23rd May 2018, the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation-Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (SCO-RATS) meeting started in ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Islamabad, Pakistan
The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation-Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (SCO-RATS) meeting is a three day meeting. This is the first time Pakistan is hosting the (SCO-RATS) meeting. The main agenda of the meeting is issues related to terrorist threats in the region and how to manage them. Experts from the 8 SCO member states: China, Kazakhstan, India, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Pakistanand representatives of the SCO-Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (SCO-RATS) are taking part in the meeting.
- Where was the 5th Cambodia, Laos PDR, Myanmar, Vietnam (CLMV) countries conclave held ____ on 21-22 May 2018?
1.Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Phnom Penh, Cambodia
The conclave focused on agriculture, agri-business, farm equipment, Health care, ICT, Education, Skilling, Manufacturing, SMEs etc. The conclave was inaugurated by Union minister of Commerce and Industry Shri. Suresh Prabhu and the Prime Minister of Cambodia Hun Sen. The governments and private sector of the five countries would consider using PPP (Public Private Partnership) form and studying goods production under“Made in I-CLMV” logo for regional and global markets.
- On May 24,2018, Reserve Bank of India announced that banks’ credit grew at 12.64% and deposits at ____% as on May 11,2018 data?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.7.61 %
Credit grew by 12.64 percent year-on-year to Rs 85,51,099 crore in the fortnight ending in May 11, 2018 compared to the fortnight ending in May 12, 2017, banks’ advances stood at Rs 75,90,941 crore. April 27, 2018, bank credit had increased by 12.61 percent to Rs 85,38,570 crore,from Rs. 75,82,391 crore in the period ended April 28, 2017. Loans to agriculture and allied activities increased by 3.8 percent in March 2018, against an increase of 12.4 percent in March 2017. Advances to industry grew by 0.7 percent in March 2018, compared with a contraction of 1.9 percent in March 2017.
- On May 24,2018, NITI Aayog and which firm signed a Statement of Intent (SOI) to benefit India from AI and Robotics?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.ABB India
The first workshop for senior government officials under this collaboration would be organised in June in Bengaluru. The workshop will focus on digital and automation technologies for the food processing sector. Based on the interactions between NITI Aayog and ABB , recommendations to the government ministries will be provided for guidelines and policies for development.
- Who was awarded the annual Mark Twain award for American Humor from John F. Kennedy Centre of Performing Arts, on 24th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Julia Louis-Dreyfus
On May 24,2018, Actress and Comedian Julia Louis-Dreyfus will be awarded annual Mark Twain award for American Humor from John F. Kennedy Centre of Performing Arts. Mark Twain himself will be presenting this award to her. Julia will be receiving the award on 21 October in a ceremony at Washington . Past winners of the award include Richard Pryor, Tina Fey, Will Ferrell, Lily Tomlin and Eddie Murphy. Bill Cosby was given the award in 2009.
- ____ has received the Clarivate Analytics India Innovation Award 2018 in the Government Research Organizations Category?
1.Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
2.Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)
3.Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
4.Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC)
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)
Every year, Clarivate Analytics honours the most innovative companies in India based on patent-related metrics. Clarivate Analytics was formerly the IP & Science division of Thomson Reuters. The factors considered for selection are metrics for both patent volume (patents published) and patent quality (grant success rate, extent of globalization, and citations). As per to the SCImago Institutions Ranking World Report 2017, CSIR was ranked 9th in the world among 1207 government institutions. It scored an overall rank of 75 in the world.
- On 24th May 2018, Union Minister for Women and Child Development, Maneka Sanjay Gandhi presented the Nari Shakti Puraskar 2017 to the members of ____ team in New Delhi?
1.INSV Tarini team
2.INSV Tejas team
3.INSV Mansi team
4.INSV Karla team
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.INSV Tarini team
INSV Tarini team is an all-women team consisting of 6 members: Lt Commander Vartika Joshi, Lt Commander Pratibha Jamwal, Lt Commander Swathi Patarpalli, Lt Aishwarya Bodapatti, Lt SH Vi jaya Devi and Lt Payal Gupta. President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Nari Shakti Puraskars on International Women’s Day (8th March 2018) in Rashtrapati Bhavan. Since the INSV Tarini team was sailing at that time, the award has been presented now. T his crew is a part of the Indian Navy’s ‘Navika SagarParikrama’. The all-women team circumnavigated the globe recently.
- Who was appointed as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Airtel Payments Bank, on 24th May 2018?
1.Vivek Kumar Singh
3.Sunil Kumar Mittal
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Anubrata Biswas
Anubrata Biswas has succeeded Shashi Arora as MD & CEO of Airtel Payments Bank. Shashi Arora resigned in December 2017 after the e-KYC controversy. Earlier, Anubrata Biswas was Joint General Manager and Retail Business Head – South India for ICICI Bank.
- Name the person who has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Suriname?
2.Mahendra Singh Kanyal
3.R R Malhotra
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Mahendra Singh Kanyal
Shri Mahender Singh Kanyal (YOA:2003), presently Director at Headquarters, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Suriname. He is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
- Who was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Islamic Republic of Mauritiana?
3.Pradeep kumar Gupta
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Pradeep kumar Gupta
Shri Pradeep Kumar Gupta, (YOA : 2004), presently Ambassador of lndia to Republic of Mali,has been concurrently accredited as the Ambassador of lndia to the lslamic Republic of Mauritania with residence in Bamako (Mali). He is expected to take up his assignment shortly.
- Who has been appointed as the chairperson of Punjab and Sindh Bank?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Charan Singh
On May 24,2018, The Finance Ministry appointed non-executive chairpersons in 3 PSBs. Charan Singh has served at IMF as senior economist and at Reserve Bank of India as director.
- Name the person who has been appointed as the Chairperson of Dena Bank?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Anjali Bansal
On May 24,2018, The Finance Ministry appointed non-executive chairpersons in 3 PSBs. Anjali Bansal is founder of Spencer Stuart’s India and had worked with McKinsey and Company.
- ____ has been appointed as the chairperson of Central Bank of India?
1.Ravi Kumar Indran
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Tapan Ray
These appointments have been done on recommendations for the Banks Board Bureau (BBB). Tapan Ray has served as Secretaryin the Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
- On 24th May 2018, ____ released a data visualisation app that offers user-friendly visual representation of complex analytics of the education scenario in the country?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.UNICEF
The app has been developed with technical inputs from the UNICEF, along with the National Institute of Education Planning and Administration (NIEPA) and the National Council for Educational Research and Training (NCERT). It makes use of the UDISE (Unified District Information System for Education), the NAS (National Assessment survey) and demographic data. It can be used as a visual tool by policy makers, senior government officials, academia, and researchers to monitor programs in the education sector. Yasmin Ali Haque is the UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund) Representative in India.
- Who won gold medal in the 50m rifle prone event in the Grand Prix in Munich, on 23rd May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Tejaswini Sawant
India’s Tejaswini Sawant shot 621.4 and won gold in the 50m rifle prone event. Another Indian Anjum Moudgil scored 0.2 point lesser and won the silver medal. Austria’s Olivia Hofmann finished in the third place. In the men’s 50m rifle prone event, India’s Chain Singh won the silver medal. United States’ Matthew Emmons won the gold medal. Oleh Tsarkov of Ukraine finished in the third place.
- What was the theme of Commonwealth Day 2018 that was observed in India on 24th May 2018?
1.Towards a Better World
2.Towards a Common Future
3.Strengthening the Common Ties
4.Peace for Common Wealth Economies
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Towards a Common Future
Commonwealth Day was earlier known as Empire Day. It is an annual celebration of the Commonwealth of Nations. It is celebrated on the second Monday in March in many countries. In India it is celebrated on 24th May. The theme for Commonwealth Day 2018 is: ‘Towards a Common Future’.
- In order to provide safe drinking water to the kidney disease-affected habitations, which state government inaugurated seven reverse osmosis (RO) plants in as many mandals of Uddanam area, on 23rd May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Andhra Pradesh
In a move to provide safe drinking water to the kidney disease-affected habitations, Andhra Pradesh government on Wednesday inaugurated seven reverse osmosis (RO) plants in as many mandals of Uddanam area. The initiative was taken in order to provide safe drinking water to the kidney affected habitations in Uddanam area by providing RO plants.
- NITI Aayog has signed a Statement of Intent (SoI) with ____, to collaborate and support NITI’s flagship initiative, the Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP)?
1.Mahendra Singh Dhoni
2.Sushant Singh Rajput
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Sushant Singh Rajput
NITI Aayog today announced the signing of a Statement of Intent (SoI) with noted media personality and entrepreneur Shri Sushant Singh Rajput, to collaborate and support NITI’s flagship initiative, the Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP). The agreement was signed in the presence of Shri Amitabh Kant, CEO, NITI Aayog by Ms Anna Roy, Adviser (Industry), NITI Aayog and Shri Sushant Singh Rajput.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- What is the tag line of Central Bank of India?Central to you since 1911
- Who is the Director General of Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)?Dr. Girish Sahni
- Name the Secretary-General and headquarters of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)?Secretary-General – Rashid Alimov; Headquarters – Beijing, China
- Name the Secretary-General of Commonwealth of Nations?Patricia Scotland
- Where is Sirohi National Park located?Manipur