AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs quiz May 20 to achieve more marks in Banking , insurance, UPSC, SSC,CLAT ,railway and all other competitive Exams.We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Which State Government has announced to develop Bhindawas Bird Sanctuary as a beautiful tourist resort?
Answer – 2.Haryana
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar has announced that Bhindawas Bird Sanctuary in Jhajjar would be developed as a beautiful tourist resort where more facilities would be provided to tap into the huge tourism potential it holds.
- International Day against Homophobia, Transphobia & Biphobia (IDAHOT) is observed on which date every year?
Answer – 1.17th May
On May 17, 1990, the World Health Assembly of the World Health Organization approved the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems which no longer listed homosexuality as a diagnosis. Launched in 2004, the International Day Against Homophobia commemorating that day has become a global occasion to educate about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people, and to advocate for sensible public policies regarding LGBT people. The theme for 2017 is ‘Families’, with a focus on role of families in the well-being of their LGBT members and respect for the rights of LGBT families.
- A committee constituted by the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation has recommended several measures on Desiltation of Ganga. This committee was headed by:
Answer – 4.Madhav Chitale
Chitale Committee on desiltation of River Ganga has come up with several recommendations such as establishing annual sediment budgets to guide de-silting activities, morphological and flood routing studies and study of reach wise sediment transport processes.
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), along with other leading research funders and international NGOs will adopt UN health agency’s recommendations to register and publicly disclose results of all clinical trialsthey fund, co-fund, sponsor or support. Headquarters of ICMR is located in:
Answer – 5.New Delhi
Policies for the same will be developed and implemented within next 12 months. Besides agreeing to disclose results within specified timeframes, these entities have also agreed to monitor compliance with registration requirements and to endorse the development of systems to monitor results.
- Annual Joint Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) Exercise conducted by Indian Navy’s Western Naval Command, commenced on May 18, 2017 at:
Answer – 1.Karwar, Karnataka
Named as “KARAVALI KARUNYA”, the exercise, which involves both professional exchange and actual disaster response mechanisms is set on a Tsunami disaster scenario and will continue till 20 May, 2017.
- G20 Labour and Employment Ministers’ Meet was held from 18th to 19th May, 2017 in:
Answer – 2.Germany
G20 Labour and Employment Ministers’ Meet was held in Bad Neuenahr, Germany from 18-19 May 2017. Germany chaired the G20 Labour and Employment Ministers’ Meet, as it currently holds the G20 presidency. The meeting focused on the theme “Towards an Inclusive Future – Shaping the World of Work”.
- India has ranked _____in terms of International Tourist Arrivals (ITA)for 2014 and 2015 as per revised rankings of World Tourism Barometer by World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO)
Answer – 3.24th
Earlier, India ranked 41st and 40th in 2014 and 2015, respectively. However, on inclusion of non- resident Indians among international tourists, India leaped up 16 places to rank at 24th. Including arrivals of Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), India’s share in international tourist arrivals (ITA) for 2015 has increased to 1.12% from 0.68% before inclusion.
- China and the member countries of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN)have agreed to a framework on code of conduct in the disputed South China Sea. Every year, about US$ _____ trillion in goods pass through South China Sea.
1.US$ 2 trillion
2.US$ 3 trillion
3.US$ 4 trillion
4.US$ 5 trillion
5.US$ 6 trillion
Answer – 4.US$5 trillion
The objective of this agreement is to reduce the risk of clashes in the South China Sea, which is one of the busiest waterways in the world. Chinese and ASEAN officials arrived at the agreement during the meeting held in the Chinese city of Guiyang.
- Who among the following has won the top Intel Science Award in US?
Answer – 1.Prashant Ranganathan
Prashant Ranganathan, a 12th grader from Jamshedpur, has won the world’s largest pre-college science competition in the US in the environmental engineering category for his project on biodegradation of pesticides. Prashant along with over 20 high school students from various parts of India, participated in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair.
- Which telecom operator has received TM Forum’s ‘Digital Service Innovator of the Year Award’ 2017?
Answer – 2.Reliance Jio
Reliance Jio, the wholly owned subsidiary of Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries has received TM Forum’s ‘Digital Service Innovator of the Year Award’ 2017. Reliance Jio got this award for acquiring 90 million customers in a short span of 4 months.
- For the first time in history of Pakistan, a lecturer from transgender community named __________ has been appointed in Quaid-i-Azam University in Islamabad.
Answer – 3.Aisha Mughal
It has happened for the very first time in the history of Pakistan that government has officially appointed a transgender as a teacher. Aisha has been appointed as the lecturer of the Department of Gender in Quaid-i-Azam University.
- Hassan Rouhani has won Presidential election of which country?
Answer – 4.Iran
Riding a large turnout from Iran’s urban middle classes, President Hassan Rouhani won re-election in a landslide on May 20, 2017, giving him a mandate to continue his quest to expand personal freedom and open Iran’s ailing economy to global investors.
- Anurag Mehrotra has been appointed as Managing Director of:
2.General Motors, India
Answer – 1.Ford, India
American carmaker Ford has elevated Anurag Mehrotra as managing director for its Indian subsidiary from his position as Executive Director, Marketing, Sales & Service. Mehrotra, 44, will be the youngest MD of Ford India.
- Who among the following has been appointed as the Deputy Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (Operations)?
1.Air Marshal LK Chakraborty
2.Air Marshal PN Pradhan
3.Air Marshal AV Khanduja
4.Air Marshal NJ Sidhu
5.Air Marshal JP Prasad
Answer – 2.Air Marshal PN Pradhan
Air Marshal PN Pradhan AVSM took over as Deputy Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (Operations), HQ IDS. He was commissioned as a pilot in the Transport stream of the Indian Air Force in 1981. Whilst posted at transport squadrons, he qualified on all operational roles, especially in forward areas and ALGs in the North-East and J&K.
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has announced that first flight of prototype-two of India’s indigenous basic trainer aircraft, HTT-40 has been successfully performed. Abbreviation HTT-40 stands for:
1.Hindustan Techno Trainer-40
2.Hindustan Terminal Trainer-40
3.Hindustan Turbo Trainer-40
4.Hindustan Transit Trainer-40
5.Hindustan Task Trainer-40
Answer – 3.Hindustan Turbo Trainer-40
HTT-40 programme aims to achieve its operational clearance by 2018, and towards this, HAL will be manufacturing three prototypes and two static test specimens. HTT-40 will replace Hindustan Piston Trainer (HPT)- 32 ‘Deepak’ that was being used by the IAF for primary training.
- Which state has launched e-textbook portal for school students?
Inaugurating the website, Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar said, as of now, 26 textbooks of classes IX to XII have been uploaded on the portal and these can be easily converted into audio files. These included 11 books of class IX, nine books of class X and three books each of classes XI and XII.
- A new study has found a steady growth of moss in Antarctica over the last _____ years as temperatures increased due to climate change.
Answer – 1.50 years
A study published in the journal ‘Current Biology’, shows that Antarctica will be much greener in the future. Researchers looked at 150 years’ worth of data and found clear “changepoints” in the last 50 years that showed the increase of moss cover.
- On May 18, 2017, who among the following won the All India Open Rapid FIDE Rating Chess Tournament in Kolkata?
1.V N Rajan
2.R R Laxman
3.L J Menon
4.V G Chauhan
5.N P Krishnamurthy
Answer – 2.R R Laxman
Grand Master R.R. Laxman of Integral Coach Factory finished on top with 9.5 points winning the All India Open Rapid FIDE Rating Chess Tournament at the Kshudiram Anushilan Kendra in Kolkata on May 18, 2017. Fide Master Mitrabha Guha racked up 8.5 points to finish second in the 10-round tournament.
- Chris Cornell, who passed away on May 17, 2017, was a renowned:
1.American Basketball player
2.American Baseball player
3.American Film Director
4.American Musician, Singer and Songwriter
Answer – 4.American Musician, Singer and Songwriter
Chris Cornel the renowned American musician, singer and songwriter, passed away in Michigan, United States. He was 52. He was best known as the lead vocalist, primary songwriter and rhythm guitarist for Seattle rock band “Soundgarden”.
- Indian men’s archery team beat ________ to win the gold medal in the World Cup in Shanghai
Answer – 4.Colombia
The Indian men’s compound team defeated Colombia to win gold on the penultimate day of the archery World Cup stage 1 championship in Shanghai, China on May 20, 2017. India was represented by Abhishek Verma, Chinna Raju Srither and Amanjeet Singh.
- Who among the following released two-part book series titled “M.S. Swaminathan: The Quest For A World Without Hunger” written by the eminent agricultural scientist Dr. M.S. Swaminathan.
1.Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
2.President Pranab Mukherjee
3.Vice President Hamid Ansari
4.Prime Minister Narendra Modi
5.Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Radha Mohan Singh
Answer – 4.Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Dr. M S Swaminathan is known as the Father of the Green Revolution in India for his leadership and success in introducing and further developing high-yielding varieties of wheat in India. He is the founder and Chairman of the MS Swaminathan Research Foundation, Chennai.
- Books ‘Jnan, A-Janan and Bijnan: Popper-er Jnantatta’ and ‘Samudra Banijjer Prekshite Sthala Banijjya, Bharat Mahasagar Anchal, 1500-1800’ have been authored by:
1.Sushil Chaudhury and Mahasweta Chaudhury
2.Arindam Bose and Sushila Bose
3.Abhijeet Sen and Mridula Sen
4.Surojit Ghosh and Meeta Ghost
5.Vasu Bhattacharya and Divya Bhattacharya
Answer – 1.Sushil Chaudhury and Mahasweta Chaudhury
Main thrust of “Jnan, A-Janan and Bijnan: Popper-er Jnantatta” is to acquaint people with the concept of knowledge – especially scientific knowledge in the context of Popper’s conception. ‘Samudra Banijjer Prekshite Sthala Banijjya, Bharat Mahasagar Anchal, 1500-1800’ tries to explode some of the myths which prevailed for long in the historical world.
- What was the theme for ‘World Metrology Day’ celebrated on May 20, 2017?
1.“Measurements for Navigation”
2.“Measurements for Aviation”
3.“Measurements for Transport”
4.“Measurements for Engineering”
5.“Measurements for Architecture”
Answer – 3.“Measurements for Transport”
Metrology is the scientific study of measurement. World Metrology Day is an annual celebration to mark the signing of the Metre Convention on May 20, 1875, by representatives of 17 nations. This Convention set the framework for global collaboration in the science of measurement and in its industrial, commercial and societal applications.
Thanks for choosing AffairsCloud. If you like our services, kindly suggest our site AffairsCloud.com to all your aspirant friends.