AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs quiz May 18 to achieve more marks in Banking , insurance, UPSC, SSC,CLAT ,railway and all other competitive Exams.We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- On May 17, 2017, first meeting of the National Steering Group and other knowledge partners was held in NITI Aayog. This meeting was co-chaired by:
1.Arvind Panagariya and Amitabh Kant
2.Amitabh Kant and Ratan Watal
3.Ratan Vatal and Bibek Debroy
4.Bibek Debroy and V K Saraswat
5.V K Saraswat and Ramesh ChandAnswer – 2.Amitabh Kant and Ratan Watal
This meeting was the first ever initiative to bring the large number of institutions from diverse domain to deliberate together on the road map for inclusive development in India. Representatives of four State Governments viz. Assam, Kerala, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh also attended the meeting.
- As per the report of a survey carried out by the Quality Council of India, ____________has been adjudged as the cleanest railway station among busiest stations in India
1.Visakhapatnam Railway Station
2.Jammu Railway Station
3.Secunderabad Railway Station
4.Surat Railway Station
5.Varanasi Railway StationAnswer – 1.Visakhapatnam Railway Station
As per the report of a survey carried out by the Quality Council of India, Visakhapatnam railway station in Andhra Pradesh has been adjudged as the cleanest, whereas Darbhanga railway station in Bihar is the dirtiest among busiest stations in India. The report of the survey was released by Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on May 17, 2017.
- Seeking to give a fresh impetus to India’s domestic nuclear power production, the Union cabinet has cleared a proposal to indigenously build ______atomic reactors
1.7 atomic reactors
2.8 atomic reactors
3.9 atomic reactors
4.10 atomic reactors
5.11 atomic reactorsAnswer – 4.10 atomic reactors
Once completed, the 10 reactors of 700 MW each will give much needed fillip to the domestic nuclear industry. The Pressurised Heavy Water Reactors (PHWRs) will be developed by the Department of Atomic Energy.
- Which among the following will soon become 100 per cent LED-lit airport?
1.Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport, Ahmedabad
2.Jay Prakash Narayan International Airport, Patna
3.Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport, Guwahati
4.Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport, Nagpur
5.Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, HyderabadAnswer – 5.Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) at Hyderabad
The Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) at Hyderabad is about to become 100 per cent LED-lit airport as 75 per cent work on the project has been completed. GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd. (GHIAL), which operates the airport, announced that it has converted the entire taxiway edge lights from halogen lamps to energy efficient LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes).
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA)has approved a mission for development of bio pharmaceuticals. This mission entails an investment of Rs ______ crore by the central government over a period of five years.
1.Rs. 1500 crore
2.Rs. 1600 crore
3.Rs. 1700 crore
4.Rs. 1800 crore
5.Rs. 1900 croreAnswer – 1.Rs. 1500 crore
The mission will provide a holistic and integrated approach to strengthen and support the entire product development value chain for accelerating the research leads to product development. The programme would focus on development of specific products such as vaccines, bio therapeutics, medical devices and diagnostics.
- Who among the following has won the prestigious $50,000National Geographic Bee competition?
5.Raxit RajanAnswer – 2.Pranay Varada
Pranay Varada, the 14-year-old Indian-American student, has won the prestigious $50,000 National Geographic Bee competition. He was declared the winner as he won the first tie breaker question when he correctly identified the Kunlun Mountains as the 1,200 mile range that separates the Taklimakan Desert from the Tibetan Plateau. As a result, he gets $50,000 in scholarship and other prizes.
- As per a latest report released by Brand Finance,which among the following is the most valuable brand of India?
1.State Bank of India
5.Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) of IndiaAnswer – 3.Tata Group
Tata retained top position as India’s most valuable brand despite 4% reduction in its brand value as compared to 2016. The total brand value of India’s top 100 brands grew by 15% in 2017. This growth is higher than the global average of 11%.
- Which telecom operator has inked agreements with Facebook and MobiKwik to popularise its internet and value added services among customers?
5.BSNLAnswer – 5.BSNL
The pacts were signed to commemorate the World Telecommunication and Information Society Day. Under the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Facebook, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) will provide connectivity for the Facebook’s ‘Express Wi-Fi Program’. Under another MoU, BSNL will work with digital payments firm Mobikwik to co-create a BSNL mobile wallet to facilitate payment for its products and services.
- India has imposed anti-dumping duty on a _________ chemical used in pharma industry and aluminium foil to protect domestic industry from cheap imports.
5.GermanAnswer – 1.Chinese
The duty on both the products would be effective for a period of five years. While an anti-dumping duty of up to $1.63 per kg was imposed on aluminium foil, up to $8.71 per kg duty was slapped on imports of amoxicillin, used in pharmaceuticals.
- On May 16, 2017,Indian Meteorological Department(IMT) issued orange alert – a warning for severe heat wave, across which state?
5.Madhya PradeshAnswer – 2.Odisha
As the temperature rose beyond 45 degrees in five towns and 40 degrees in other 16 places on May 15, 2017, the Bhubaneswar met office issued the alert. The state Special Relief Commissioner office informed that by far, it has received complaints of 38 deaths, allegedly caused by sunstroke.
- Who among the following are among the six winners of this year’s prestigious Whitley Awards, which are popularly referred to as ‘Green Oscars’?
1.Sanjay Tulli and Purnima Barman
2.Sanjay Gubbi and Surekha Sen
3.Sanjay Gubbi and Purnima Barman
4.Sanjay Tulli and Surekha Sen
5.Nilesh Joshi and Santosh RajawatAnswer – 3.Sanjay Gubbi and Purnima BarmanExplanation :
Two wildlife conservationists from India, Sanjay Gubbi of Karnataka and Purnima Barman of Assam are among the six winners of this year’s prestigious Whitley Awards, which are popularly referred to as ‘Green Oscars’. The award honors outstanding contribution towards wildlife conservation outside the developed world.
- Indian scientist _____________ has won the prestigious Dan David prize for his contribution in the field of astronomy.
5.Manikandan IyerAnswer – 4.Shrinivas Kulkarni
Shrinivas Kulkarni is a professor of astrophysics and planetary science at California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. Prof. Kulkarni is a pioneer and leading figure in time-domain astrophysics across the electromagnetic spectrum who built and conducted the Palomar Transient Factory, a large-area survey of the night sky in search of variable and transient phenomena.
- Who among the following has won Mark Twain Prize 2017 for American humour on 17thMay, 2017?
5.Mike HarperAnswer – 1.David Letterman
David became the 20th humorist to receive the prize. He is also a past recipient of Kennedy Centre Honours for his influence on American culture. He has hosted over 6000 late-night shows in 33 years.
- Anil Madhav Dave, who passed away on May 18, 2017, was holding which portfolio in current Union Cabinet?
3.Social Justice and Empowerment
4.Environment, Forest and Climate Change
5.Law and JusticeAnswer – 4.Environment, Forest and Climate Change
Union environment minster Anil Madhav Dave passed away in Delhi on May 18, 2017. He was 60. Dave, a member of the Rajya Sabha since 2009, was sworn in as a minister with independent charge of environment, forest and climate change last year.
- Who among the following has been given the additional charge of Environment Ministry, due to the sudden demise of Anil Madhav Dave.?
5.Nitin GadkariAnswer – 2.Harsh Vardhan
President Pranab Mukherjee, as advised by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has directed that Cabinet Minister Harsh Vardhan shall be assigned the charge of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, in addition to his exiting portfolios.
- Indian army has recently received two M777 Ultra Lightweight Howitzer artillery guns from:
5.UKAnswer – 3.US
These two guns have been procured under Indian Government’s deal with US Government for total 145 M777 guns. The deal for M777 guns was initiated with US Govt. in 2010. Indian Govt. announced the deal to buy 145 M777 guns in June 2016. This government-to-government deal under the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) route was completed in November 2016.
- A new study has found that an Earth-Like Planet called _______, orbiting the closest neighbouring Star, Proxima Centauri may have water and the potential to support alien life.
5.Proxima AAnswer – 4.Proxima B
The planet Proxima B was discovered in August last year, and is thought to be of similar size to Earth, creating the possibility that it could have an ‘Earth-like’ atmosphere. Scientists from the University of Exeter in the U.K. have embarked on their first, tentative steps to explore the potential climate of the exoplanet.
- On May 15, 2017, The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) officially launched the _____________, in Geneva, Switzerland.
1.“Year of Glaciers”
2.“Year of Doldrums”
3.“Year of Polar Prediction”
4.“Year of Equinox”
5.“Year of Northern Lights”Answer – 3.“Year of Polar Prediction”
The project concerns a two-year international effort, aiming to close gaps in polar forecasting capacity. It is expected to lead to better forecasts of weather and sea-ice conditions to improve future environmental safety at both poles. Improved forecasts in Polar Regions are also expected to result in better weather prediction at lower latitudes, where most people live.
- Who among the following Indian Grandmaster registered his first win at the Moscow FIDE Grand Prix?
5.Kinchit MehtaAnswer – 2.Pentala Harikrishna
Indian Grandmaster Pentala Harikrishna registered his first win at the Moscow FIDE Grand Prix after getting the better of English GM Michael Adams. With this win, Harikrishna has now maintained his unbeaten run against Adams this year and recorded his second successive victory against him.
- Reema Lagoo, who passed away on May 18, 2017, was a veteran:
5.HistorianAnswer – 2.Actress
Veteran actress Reema Lagoo passed on 18thMay 2017 at Kokilaben Hospital in Mumbai. She had suffered a massive cardiac arrest. She was 59. She had appeared in several Hindi and Marathi films and had also acted in numerous television shows like TuTu Main Main and Shrimaan Shrimati.
- What was the 2017 theme of ‘World Hypertension Day, observed on May 17, 2017?
1.’Know Your Numbers’
2.’Yoga for preventing Hypertension’
3.’Eat right to prevent Hypertension’
4.’Work-Life balance to prevent Hypertension’
5.’Preventive measures against Hypertension’Answer – 1.’Know Your Numbers’
World Hypertension Day is a day designated and initiated by The World Hypertension League (WHL), which is itself an umbrella to organizations of 85 national hypertension societies and leagues. The day was initiated to increase the awareness of hypertension. This was especially important because of the lack of appropriate knowledge among hypertensive patients.
Thanks for choosing AffairsCloud. If you like our services, kindly suggest our site AffairsCloud.com to all your aspirant friends.