AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs July 31 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas (MoPNG), Oil & Gas CPSEs and its offices celebrated Swachhta Pakhwada from 1st to 15th July, 2018. What was the theme of the celebrations?
1.Innovation and Sustainability
2.Safety and Sustainability
3.Innovation and Education
4.Innovation and Awareness
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Innovation and Sustainability
The theme of MoPNG initiatives in this Pakhwada were “Innovation” and “Sustainability”. Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan led a cleaning drive in Satyanagar, Bharatpur and Khandagiri areas of Bhubaneswar which have been adopted by Indian Oil. MoPNG organized an essay writing competition, slogan writing competition on “Meri Swachhta”, paint a poster competition, workshop on Jute Bag making. Maiden initiative of Swachhata inter-refinery competition ranking of Oil & Gas CPSEs and their 4200 attached offices was conducted in association with Quality Council of India (QCI) across 50 cities Pan-India based on their performance in Swachhta Pakhwada.
- On July 31, 2018, which Union Ministry unveiled a blueprint of Deep Ocean Mission (DOM) to explore deep ocean?
1.Union Ministry of Earth Science
2.Union Ministry of Science and Technology
3.Union Ministry of Agriculture and Foreign Affairs
4.Union Ministry of Defence
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Union Ministry of Earth Science
The Centre drew a five-year plan and allocated Rs. 8000 crore to explore the ocean and its resources. It woud focus on deep sea mining, under water robotics, underwater vehicles and ocean climate change. The goals would be achieved by : establishing offshore desalination plant for tidal energy, developing a submersible vehicle that can travel to atleast 6,000 metres with three people on board. 10 percent of the recovery from these reserves have been presumed to meet the energy requirement of India for the next 100 years with the presence of 380 million metric tonnes of polymetallic nodules in the Central Indian Ocean Basin.
- Name the desktop software launched by IT Ministry to enable editing and printing of text in scanned documents, in a conference for Indian Languages Technology Industry ‘Bhashantara’, in New Delhi, on July 31, 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.e-Aksharayan
The software e-Aksharayan was launched in 7 Indian languages. They are namely: Hindi, Bangla, Malayalam, Gurmukhi, Tamil, Kannada & Assamese. This software would scanned printed Indian language documents into a fully editable text format in Unicode encoding. This would cease the gap in Internet accessibility due to non-availability of content in Indian languages.
- On July 31, 2018, the US elevated which country’s status in the export control regime and designated it as a Strategic Trade Authorization-1 (STA-1) country?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.India
On July 31, 2018, The US has elevated India’s status in the export control regime and designated it as a Strategic Trade Authorization-1 (STA-1) country. This will allow India to buy more advanced and sensitive technologies from America. India is the only South Asian country to be on the list. Currently there are 36 countries on STA-1 list. Other Asian countries designated as STA-1 are Japan and South Korea.
- What rank has India secured in the biannual United Nation’s E-Government Index 2018 among 193 countries released by UN?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.96
On July 31, 2018, India ranks 96th in the biannual United Nation’s E-Government Index 2018 among 193 countries released by UN. India has a total score of 0.9551,it has emerged as sub-region leader. India has scored 100% in the first stage of the E-Participation sub-index, followed by 95.65% in the second stage and 90.91% in the third stage. Earlier in 2014, India was ranked at 118 and now has jumped 22 places in 4 years and 11 places in 2 years.’
- On July 31, 2018, Defence acquisitions council (DAC) approved the acquisition of the National Advanced Surface to Air Missile System-II (NASAMS-II) for $1 billion from which country?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.United States
This is a US-built advanced air defence system. It is an upgraded version of the NASAMS and features new 3D mobile surveillance radars and 12 missile launchers for quicker reaction. It has been developed by Raytheon in partnership with KONGSBERG Defence and Aerospace of Norway. It has 3D Sentinel radars, short and medium-range missiles, launchers, fire-distribution centers and command-and-control units to quickly detect, track and shoot down multiple airborne threats.
- State Bank of India has raised its interest rates on fixed deposits by 5-10 basis points on deposits of below _____ with effect from 30th July 2018?
1.Rs 10 lakh
2.Rs 1 crore
3.Rs 1 lakh
4.Rs 10 crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Rs 1 crore
For deposits of below Rs 1 crore:
Tenors Revised For Public w.e.f. 30.07.2018 For Senior Citizens 7 days to 45 days 5.75 6.25 46 days to 179 days 6.25 6.75 180 days to 210 days 6.35 6.85 211 days to less than 1 year 6.4 6.9 1 year to less than 2 year 6.7 7.2 2 years to less than 3 years 6.75 7.25 3 years to less than 5 years 6.8 7.3 5 years and up to 10 years 6.85 7.35
- Nomura has predicted Indian GDP growth to moderate to _____ per cent in the second half of 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.7.2 %
On July 31, 2018, According to Nomura , India’s GDP growth to peak to 7.8% in April-June quarter and then moderate to 7.2 per cent in the second half of 2018. This is owing to tighter financial conditions, slowing global growth and adverse terms of trade. The GDP growth was at 7.7 per cent in January-March quarter 2018. Also global oil prices and higher minimum support prices predict a hike of 25 basis points rate hike in August in the RBI’s third bi monthly meeting to be held in August 1,2018. Reserve Bank of India had increase its retail inflation projection by 0.30 per cent.
- On July 31, 2018, Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approved the implementation guidelines for the Strategic Partnership Model. Who is the chairperson of DAC?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Nirmala Sitharaman
It aims to private sector to design, develop and manufacture complex weapon systems for the future needs of the Armed Forces. This will help align the defence sector with the Make in India initiative of the Government. It also gave specific guidelines for procurement of Naval Utility Helicopters. All of the projects would be executed by specially constituted Empowered Project Committees.
- On July 31, 2018, two public-sector undertakings BEML Ltd and ____ signed pact for making mining equipment?
1.Heavy Engineering Corporation Ltd (HEC)
2.Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
3.Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
4.Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL)
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Heavy Engineering Corporation Ltd (HEC)
On July 31, 2018, BEML, HEC sign pact for making mining equipment. The MoU will result into additional Rs 150-200 crore revenue for both PSUs. It will delivery time, reduce working capital and create capability for high capacity equipment. The mining products could be co-branded and will come under ‘Make in India’ initiative. Coal India is a major client for these mining equipment.
- On July 31, 2018, which firm surpassed TCS to become India’s most valued firm by market capitalisation (m-cap)?
1.Reliance Industries Limited
3.Aditya Birla Group
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Reliance Industries Limited
On July 31, 2018, RIL surpassed TCS to become the most valued firm by market capitalisation (m-cap). The current m-cap of RIL is Rs 7,47,676.35 crore and that of TCS is: Rs 7,39,297.87 crore which is Rs 8,378.48 crore less than RIL. Shares of RIL surged 2.75 per cent to Rs 1,181.35, its lifetime high on BSE. Reliance Industries had earlier this month crossed the USD 100-billion market capitalisation mark.
- Who has been chosen for the 24th Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award for his contribution in promoting communal harmony, peace and goodwill?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Gopalkrishna Gandhi
Gopalkrishna Gandhi is a former governor of West Bengal. He will be presented with this award at an event on 20th August 2018 at Jawahar Bhawan in Delhi. The award contains a citation and a cash prize of Rs 10 lakh. The award is presented on the birthday anniversary of former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi. The award was instituted to honour Rajiv Gandhi’s remarkable contribution to promote peace, communal harmony and struggle against violence.
- Which firm has received the best performing primary lending institution in Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) for the EWS (Economically Weaker Section) and LIG (Low Income Group) category?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.HDFC
The award was presented by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. It was received by Renu Sud Karnad, Managing Director, HDFC. During FY18 HDFC approved 38 % of home loans in volume terms and 19 % in value terms to customers from the EWS and LIG category. On an average HDFC has been approving 8,200 loans per month for the EWS and LIG segment, with the monthly average approvals at around Rs. 1,312 crore.
- Name the youngster from Haryana who has successfully scaled Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest peak of Africa, in 3 days from 21st July to 24th July 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Shivangi Pathak
Shivangi Pathak is 17 years old. Recently, she became the youngest Indian woman to reach the peak of Mount Everest. She was given title ‘The Eagle of Mountain’. Now, she has scaled the 5,895m high Mount Kilimanjaro from the Marangu route in 3 days from 21st July to 24th July 2018.
- On 31st July 2018, China successfully launched _____ satellite, an optical remote sensing satellite, as part of its high-resolution Earth observation project?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Gaofen-11
The Gaofen-11 satellite was launched on a Long March 4B rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in northern Shanxi Province, China. It was the 282nd flight mission on a Long March carrier rocket. This satellite will be useful in land survey, urban planning, road network design, agriculture, and disaster relief. It will also provide data for the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). China introduced the Gaofen project in 2010.
- Name the rare blood group that has been identified by doctors from Kasturba Medical College (KMC) in Mangaluru, Karnataka?
1.pp or P null phenotype
2.ss or S null phenotype
3.rx or R phenotype
4.d or Dx phenotype
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.pp or P null phenotype
ABO and Rh D are the most common blood group systems. But over 200 minor blood group antigens apart from A, B and Rh exist. The Blood Bank of Kasturba Hospital received samples from a patient who was in urgent need of blood transfusion. The doctors couldn’t find a compatible blood unit even after cross-matching it with over 80 units. After serological test, it was confirmed that the patient’s cells contained the rare “pp” phenotype. It is the first time, P blood group null phenotype has been detected in India. The team of doctors were led by Shamee Shastry.
- Who won the 2018 RBC Canadian Open at the Glen Abbey Golf Club in Oakville in Canada, on 29th July 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Dustin Johnson
Dustin Johnson shot a 6-under par 66 and won his first RBC Canadian Open at 23-under par. He is currently in world number one position. Now he has become the first player after Tiger Woods (2005-09) with at least three wins in three consecutive seasons. Dustin Johnson was awarded $1,116,000 for the win. Byeong Hun An and Whee Kim secured second place. Mackenzie Hughes won his second consecutive Rivermead Cup. This Cup is presented to the low Canadian who finishes in a tie for 8th at 15-under par.
- Which Indian javelin thrower won a gold medal in the Savo Games in Lapinlahti, Finland, on 29th July 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Neeraj Chopra
Neeraj Chopra made a throw of 85.69 metres and won the gold medal. Chao-Tsun Cheng of Chinese Taipei made a throw of 82.52m and won a silver medal. Chao-Tsun Cheng is the only Asian to have thrown the javelin to a distance more than 90m. He achieved this feat by making a throw of 91.36m during the World University Games in Taipei in 2017.
- On 30th July 2018, John Sankaramangalam, died due to age related ailments in Thiruvalla, Kerala. What was his profession?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.film maker
John Sankaramangalam was 84 years old. He hailed from Pathanamthitta in Kerala. He had received two National and four Kerala State Film Awards. He had directed several experimental movies and documentaries. He had secured a diploma in direction and screenplay writing from FTII. Later, he became the director of FTII.
- When was World Ranger Day celebrated all over the world?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.July 31
The World Ranger Day was initiated by International Ranger Federation (IRF). It is jointly promoted by The Thin Green Foundation, the charity arm of IRF. Ranger Day was first celebrated in 2007 on the anniversary of IRF’s foundation day. This day is celebrated to honour Rangers killed or injured during duty. It also honours the work of Rangers in safeguarding earth’s natural treasures and cultural heritage.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Karimpuzha National Park located?Kerala
- Who is the President of International Ranger Federation (IRF)?Seen Willmore
- Where is Tau Devi Lal Stadium located?Gurgaon, Haryana
- Where is the headquarters of Heavy Engineering Corporation (HEC)?Ranchi, Jharkhand
- When was Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) launched?2015