AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs January 21 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019
- Current Affairs January 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs December 2018 PDF
- Where did Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurate the Global Trade Show on 17th January 2019?
1) Jaipur, Rajasthan
2) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
3) Gandhinagar, Gujarat
4) Mumbai, Maharashtra
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Gandhinagar, Gujarat
On 17th January 2019, the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the Global Trade Show at the Mahatma Mandir Exhibition cum Convention Centre in Gandhinagar, Gujarat in the run up to the start of the Vibrant Gujarat Summit. The Global trade show was spread over an area of 200,000 sq. mts, with more than 25 industrial and business sectors showcasing their ideas, products and designs under one umbrella. Prime Minister also inaugurated the Ahmedabad Shopping Festival 2019 during the event. The Summit witnessed the launch of a completely new set of forums aimed at diversifying the nature of knowledge sharing at the Summit, and intensifying the level of networking between participants. During the Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit 2019,28,360 Memorandums of Understanding were signed and it was expected to generate over 21 lakh jobs.
- Centre advised the states on 18th January 2019, to increase the spending under District Mining Fund (DMF) because only 24 % of _____ rupees allocated for Pradhan Mantri Khanij Kshetra Kalyan Yojana (PMKKKY) is spent until now?
1) Rs. 12,678 crore
2) Rs. 23,606 crore
3) Rs. 42,560 crore
4) Rs. 33,420 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Rs. 23,606 crore
On 18th January 2019, Centre has advised States to increase the spending under District Mining Fund (DMF) because only 24 percent of the Rs. 23,606 crore allocated for Pradhan Mantri Khanij Kshetra Kalyan Yojana (PMKKKY) is spent until now. PMKKKY is announced to provide welfare to those affected by mining operations. Under PMKKKY scheme, Government has to spend a portion of revenue for the development activities in the mining regions. Ministry of Mines directed to states to ensure that the rate of expenditure for development works improves while ensuring timely audit of the spending.
- Where was the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, a super-speciality public hospital built at a cost of Rs 750 crore, inaugurated on 17th January 2019?
1) Ahmedabad, Gujarat
2) Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
3) Ranchi, Jharkhand
4) Dispur, Assam
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Ahmedabad, Gujarat
On 17th January 2019, the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Institute of Medical Sciences and Research a super-speciality public hospital in Ahmedabad, Gujarat which will strengthen the efforts to provide quality healthcare to the poor. The institute which is built by Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation at the cost of Rs 750 crore, is equipped with all modern amenities including an air ambulance and is linked with Ayushman Bharat to provide services at an affordable price. The institute will run by the Ahmedabad municipal corporation and consists of a 17-floor, 1,500-bed hospital. Out Of 1500 beds, 1300 beds are in General Ward and 200 beds are in the executive class. Besides there are 32 high class Operation Theatres with 139 ICU bed. The OPDs will have 90 consultation rooms with 20 specialists to serve.
- Which union ministry will organize a fortnight of events named Shehri Samridhi Utsav focused on urban livelihoods all over India from 1st to 15th February 2019?
1) Ministry of Home Affairs
2) Ministry of Culture
3) Ministry of Tourism
4) Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
On 18th January 2019, Housing and Urban Affairs Minister, Hardeep Singh Puri announced that Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs will organize a fortnight of events named Shehri Samridhi Utsav from 1st February to 15th February 2019. The Shehr Samridhi Utsav focusing on urban livelihoods will be celebrated all over the country with active participation from states and cities. The event is aimed at extending the outreach of Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana –National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY – NULM).
- Where did Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurate the Larsen & Toubro (L&T) facility called Armoured Systems Complex (ASC) on 19th January 2019, which is the first private facility in India where K9 Vajra self-propelled Howitzer guns will be manufactured?
1) Dehradun, Uttarakhand
2) Pune, Maharashtra
3) Hazira, Gujarat
4) Hyderabad, Telangana
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Hazira, Gujarat
On 19th January 2019, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Larsen & Toubro (L&T) facility called Armoured Systems Complex (ASC), the first private facility in the country where the K9 Vajra self-propelled Howitzer guns will be manufactured at Hazira near Surat in Gujarat. Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman was also present on the occasion. The ASC is a state-of-the-art facility to manufacture and integrate advanced armoured platforms such as self-propelled artillery Howitzers, future infantry combat vehicles (FICV), future ready combat vehicles (FRCV) or future main battle tanks. The ASC is spread over 40 acres, within L&T’s 755-acre Hazira manufacturing complex. The facility at Hazira came after Larsen & Toubro had won the Rs. 4,500-crore contract to supply 100 units of the K9 Vajra-T 155 mm/52 calibre Tracked Self-Propelled gun systems to the Indian Army in 2017 under the Centre’s ”Make in India”initiative. It is the largest contract awarded to a private company by the Ministry of Defence which involves delivery of 100 K9 Vajra systems in 42 months with an associated engineering support package (ESP) covering spares, documentation and training and maintenance transfer of technology (MToT) to the Army Base Workshop to support Howitzer regiments throughout their life cycle. To manufacture it in India, L&T had signed a transfer of technology contract for guns with South Korean company Hanwha Corporation. It is the first manufacturing facility in the private sector to produce advanced armoured platforms for the defence sector besides being the 10th manufacturing unit of the technology, engineering, construction, defence and services conglomerate.
- Government has decided to induct ____% women in military police and they will be appointed for the first time in Personnel Below Officer Rank (PBOR)?
1) 30 %
2) 25 %
3) 20 %
4) 40 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 20 %
On January 19,2019, government decided to induct 20% women in military police. This decision is taken with motive to represent women in the armed force ,they will be appointed for the first time in Personnel Below Officer Rank, PBOR. Their job criteria would be investigating offences like rape cases,policing cantonment and extending support to the civil police whenever needed.
- Which state government has released ‘Startup & Innovation policy 2018-2023’ to provide an innovative ecosystem for startups registered in the state and to make the state a ‘Global Innovation hub for startups’ by 2023?
2) Tamil Nadu
3) Himachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Tamil Nadu
On January 18, 2019,Tamil Nadu government released ‘Startup & Innovation policy 2018-2023’ with a mission to provide an innovative ecosystem for startups registered in the State and to make Tamil Nadu a ‘Global Innovation hub for startups’ by 2023. The government formed a 5-point plan to implement the policies which include creating ecosystems, ensure resources availability for Startup ecosystem, enable skill development and job creation, support social entrepreneurship and establish global accessibility and partnerships. The State is to set up Tamil Nadu Startup Fund of Funds for Rs.250 crore which is to be registered as an Alternative Investment Fund (AIF) managed by Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI), for investment in startups and MSMEs. The government will invest Rs.75 crore in the fund with the first tranche of Rs. 25 crore be allotted in FY 2019-2020. The government also created Tamil Nadu Startup Seed Grant Fund (TNSSGF) of Rs.50 crore with a estimate amount of Rs.5 crore in the first year in partnership with financial institutions for supporting early stage financing requirements of the startups.
- What was the theme of the 9th edition of Vibrant Gujarat Summit held in Gandhinagar, Gujarat, from 18th to 20thJanuary 2019?
1) Towards a Better India
2) Shaping a new India
3) Innovation and Development
4) Digital India
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Shaping a new India
On 17th January 2019, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi embarked on a three day visit to Gujarat. He participated in various events and also inaugurated the ninth edition of the flagship bi-annual global investors summit Vibrant Gujarat. The Theme of the 9th edition of Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors Summit 2019 was “Shaping a new India”. The Visit concluded on 19th January 2019. On 18th January 2019, the 9th edition of Vibrant Gujarat Summit was inaugurated by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi at Mahatma Mandir Exhibition cum Convention Centre in Gandhinagar, Gujarat. The three-day investors’ meet will last till 20thJanuary 2019.
- How many MoUs did Gujarat government sign with investment commitments worth over Rs 56,000 crore in various sectors during the Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit held in Gandhinagar from 18th to 20th January 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 130
On 17th January 2019, Gujarat government signed around 130 MoUs with investment commitments worth over 56,000 crore rupees in various sectors during the three-day Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit. A majority of the MoUs, also called Investment Intentions (IIs), were signed in the port and transport sector. Tsingshan group of China committed to invest Rs 21,000 crore to set up a steel plant and a facility to manufacture car batteries in Dholera Special Investment Region (SIR). MoUs worth over 35,000 crore rupees were signed during the opening day of the three-day business conclave besides this mega agreement. Some of them are explained below. A MoU was signed with Petronet LNG Ltd with an intended investment of Rs 2,100 crore for expansion of their existing LNG Port Terminal at Dahej. HPCL Rajasthan Refinery Ltd signed a MoU with an intended investment of Rs 1,400 crore for development of Single Point Mooring System and Crude Oil Terminal at Mandvi. Furthermore HPCL signed another MoU of Rs 1,350 crore for LPG import facilities along with a jetty at Dahej Port and LPG cavern and pumping facilities at Ankleshwar. Adani Group Signed MoU with an intended cumulative investment of Rs 3,500 crore across three projects – development of a captive jetty at Kori Creek, cargo handling terminal at Mundra and Ro-Ro ferry facility at Mundra. Essar Group intended to cumulatively invest Rs 7,485 crore across two projects – development of port-based Smart City and an LNG terminal at Hazira.
- An agreement was signed between Export-Import Bank of India and the Government of Uzbekistan on a Line of Credit of ____ dollars, supported by the Indian Government for financing housing and social infrastructure projects in Uzbekistan, on 18th January 2019?
1) USD 200 million
2) USD 250 million
3) USD 150 million
4) USD 300 million
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) USD 200 million
On 18th January 2019, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and President of Uzbekistan Mr. Shavkat Mirziyoyev held a meeting while attending “Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit-2019” in Ahmadabad. President Shavkat Mirziyoev mentioned that he is looking to attract investment from India in sector like IT, education, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, agri-business and tourism for Uzbekistan. The exchange of contracts between the Department of Atomic Energy of India and the Novoi Minerals and Metallurgical Company of the Republic of Uzbekistan for long-term supply of Uranium Ore Concentrate for India’s energy requirements took place in presence of both the leaders. Agreement were signed between the Export-Import Bank of India and the Government of the Republic of Uzbekistan on a Line of Credit of USD 200 million supported by the Government of India for financing housing and social infrastructure projects in Uzbekistan.
- Name the state/union territory government that launched the first round-the-clock Animal Health Care Services at a government hospital, a helpline number for animal health care assistance and the first Animal Health and Welfare Policy, recently?
1) Tamil Nadu
2) Daman & Diu
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Delhi
On 16th January 2019, Delhi Development Minister Gopal Rai inaugurated a round-the-clock Animal Health Care Services in a Government Veterinary Hospital in Tis Hajari here and also a helpline number for animal health care assistance. It is the first 24×7 animal health care service in a government veterinary hospital. The Animal Husbandry Department has also launched helpline number 011-23967555 for animal health care assistance to people in Delhi. The Delhi government last week had launched first Animal Health and Welfare Policy for the national capital and the round-the-clock veterinary health care hospitals were part of the scheme.
- Where did Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveil a statue of Dr Vikram Sarabhai, the father of Indian space programme, on 17th January 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Ahmedabad
On 17th January 2019, the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi unveiled a statue of Dr Vikram Sarabhai, the father of Indian space programme at Sabarmati Riverfront in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. The statue was commissioned by Amdavad Municipal Corporation (AMC) and was closely supervised by Kartikeya Sarabhai and Mallika Sarabhai, the son and daughter of Dr. Sarabhai. The statue was installed to mark the innovator’s birth centenary year, and to instill a scientific temperament among Gujarat’s children. The statue which has been sculpted by Ahmedabad-based artist Dhruv Shilpi is 6-ft-tall, made up of bronze statue and weighs 1,050 kg. It shows Dr Sarabhai seated on a chair and work on his table. A public gallery was also set up adjacent to the statue featuring Vikram Sarabhai’s life and work.
- Union Minister for Transport Nitin Gadkari announced at the Symposium of International Automotive Technology 2019 in Pune, that the Government has mandated _____ Emission standards for the initial launch of vehicles from 1 April 2020?
1) Euro 4
2) Euro 3
3) Euro 6
4) Euro 5
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Euro 6
On 18th January 2019 Government has taken decision to make Euro 6 Emission standards necessary for the initial launch of vehicles from 1 April 2020. Union Minister for Transport Nitin Gadkari made the announcement while addressing Symposium of International Automotive Technology 2019 in Pune. The aim of Euro 6 is to reduce the level of exhaust emissions in petrol and diesel cars including Carbon Monoxide (CO) , Nitrogen Oxide (NOx), Hydrocarbons (THC and NMHC ) and Particulate matter (PM). Transport Ministry will provide a center of excellence for Methanol at ARAI (Automotive Research Association of India). Euro 6 is the sixth series of the European Union directive to reduce harmful pollutants from vehicle exhausts.
- World Economic Forum has released “The Outbreak Readiness and Business impact white paper” in collaboration with the Harvard Global Health Institute. As per this, Pandemics will cause annual economic losses of what percent of global GDP?
1) 0.7 %
2) 0.5 %
3) 0.4 %
4) 0.3 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 0.7 %
The World Economic Forum released “The Outbreak Readiness and Business impact white paper” in collaboration with the Harvard Global Health Institute. The report says that the business risk posed by a new era of epidemic cannot be considered exclusively and all the companies operating globally should take proper actions to mitigate threats posed by epidemics. Since 2011, World has witnessed 200 epidemic events per year and the number and kind of infectious disease outbreaks have increased significantly in last 30 years. The Report also warns that the threat due to epidemic is similar to that estimated for climate change in the coming decades. As per report, the Pandemics will cause annual economic losses of 0.7 per cent of global GDP.
- Which city has been named by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) as the World Capital of Architecture for 2020?
1) Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE)
2) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
3) Kuala Lampur, Malaysia
4) Johannesburg, South Africa
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
On 18th January 2019, The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) named Rio de Janeiro, a city in Brazil as the World Capital of Architecture for 2020. Rio de Janeiro becomes the first city to receive the title under a program launched by UNESCO and International Union of Architects (UIA) after defeating Paris and Melborne. World Capital of Architecture is intended to become the global forum for debates on challenges of Culture, Cultural Heritage, Urban Planning and architecture. Rio de Janeiro will hold a series of events under the theme “All the worlds. Just one world,” and promote the internationally agreed 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development’s 11th Goal: “Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.”
- Who has become the first woman IPS DIG and Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) officer to successfully complete the South Pole expedition, on 13th January 2019?
1) Susheela Das
2) Aniksha Gupta
3) Aparna Kumar
4) Roopali Seth
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Aparna Kumar
Aparna Kumar has become the first woman IPS DIG and Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) officer to successfully complete the South Pole expedition. Ms Kumar has successfully reached the South Pole after covering 111 kilometres of walking on the snow. She also carried equipment weighing 35 Kilograms along with her. She has already scaled the top six mountain peaks of the six continents of the globe. Ms Kumar reached the South Pole on January 13 where she unfurled the National and ITBP flags. Ms Kumar is a 2002 batch UP Cadre IPS officer, who has been posted at the Northern Frontier Headquarters of ITBP in Dehradun.
- ____ was appointed the new Chairperson of Council for Leather Exports (CLE), on 18th January 2019?
1) Sanjay Leekha
2) Aqeel Ahmed
3) Anjali Kumar
4) Ranjani Lal
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Aqeel Ahmed
On January 18,2019,the Council for Leather Exports (CLE) has appointed Aqeel Ahmed as its new chairperson. The council also announced Sanjay Leekha as its new vice chairman. In global leather export,India is to have a growth of 5-6% by march 2019.India’s share in global leather exports and imports is about 3 per cent. The council is a trade promotion organisation of leather and leather products industry.It works under the aegis of Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- Competition commission of India approved which company and Witzig Advisory services’ deal to acquire Aditya Birla, on 18th January 2019?
4) Reliance Retail
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Amazon
On January 18, 2019,Competition commission of India approved Amazon and Witzig Advisory services deal to acquire Aditya Birla. According to CCI’s approval,Amazon acquired 49% of the shares and Witzig got 51% of shares in Aditya Birla. This is also seen as the US-based e-commerce major Amazon’s second investment in the Indian market after it had picked up stake in the K Raheja group’s retail arm Shopper Stop. Witzig ,a wholly owned subsidiary of Samara Alternative Investment Fund is registered with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) as category II Alternative fund. CCI gave approval to the acquisition of 99.99 per cent of the equity share capital of Aditya Birla Retail limited (ABRL) to Witzig Advisory Services Private Limited.
- SoftBank has decided to invest _____ dollars for over 40 % stake in BrainBees Solutions, which owns and operates omni-channel baby and mother care product retailer FirstCry?
1) $ 400 million
2) $ 350 million
3) $ 200 million
4) $ 160 million
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) $ 400 million
The Tokyo Headquartered investment giant, SoftBank has decided to invest $400 million for over 40 per cent stake in BrainBees Solutions, which owns and operates omni-channel baby and mother care product retailer FirstCry. SoftBank is valuing 8 years old Pune based venture, FirstCry at $600-700 million and planning to pick over 40 per cent stake whereas FirstCry Founder, Supam Maheshwari and Amitava Saha will retain 12-14 per cent stake. As per SoftBank officials the money will come in tranches linked to financial and business performance milestones. Morgan Stanley acted as the Financial advisor for this big deal.
- Which cricket team recorded the highest successful chase in Ranji Trophy history by successfully chasing a target of 372 runs in the ongoing Ranji Trophy 2018-19 at Lucknow?
1) Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Saurashtra
Saurashtra has created history by successfully chasing a target of 372 runs in the second quarter final against Uttar Pradesh in the ongoing Ranji Trophy 2018-19 at Bharat Ratna Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee International Cricket Stadium in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. aurashtra broke the record of Assam which had chased 371 runs against services in 2008-09 in Delhi. Saurashtra qualified for the semi-final with this win with a great knock from Rinku Singh who scored 150 runs.
- Jagjit Singh Chopra passed away on 19th January 2019. He was a _____?
2) Hockey Player
3) Script Writer
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Neurologist
On January 19, 2019,Padma Bhushan neurologist Jagjit Singh Chopra has died at the age of 84. He was the founder of the department of neurology at PGIMER, Chandigarh. He was the first Indian neurologist to hold chair as the secretary general of XIV World Congress of Neurology, held at New Delhi in 1989. He received lifetime achievement award by the World Federation of Neurology in 2017.
- Name the world’s oldest man who died due to natural causes in Japan at the age of 113, on 20th January 2019?
1) Masazo Nonaka
2) Hizui Sherza
3) Nami Nagamatzu
4) Jiroemon Kimura
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Masazo Nonaka
On 20th January 2019, World’s oldest man Masazo Nonaka died due to natural causes in the Japan’s northern most island of Hokkaido at the age of 113. Masazo Nonaka was born on 25 July 1905 and have lived with his four generation family. Japan has one of the world’s highest life expectancies. The Longest living man on record Jiroemon Kimura who died after his 116th birthday in June 2013 was also from Japan.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- President of Uzbekistan is _____?Answer – Mr. Shavkat Mirziyoyev
- What is the capital and currency of Brazil?Answer – Capital – Brasilia; Currency – Brazilian Real
- Who is the director of ARAI (Automotive Research Association of India)?Answer – Mrs. Rashmi Urdhwareshe
- Where is Vansda National Park located?Answer – Gujarat
- Name the Director of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)?Answer – Kailasavadivoo Sivan