Hello Aspirants. Welcome to Online Current Affairs January 2017 Quiz in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating quiz covering important event in Current Affairs, which is common for all the bank exams and other competitive exams.
- On January 14 2017 SEBI tightened the norms for Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) for unlisted companies with listed companies. Based on the rules public shareholding of the resultant entity has to be more than ______percent?
D.25 PercentAnswer – D.25 Percent
The Capital market regulator of India, Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) on January 14 tightened the norms associated to Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) of Indian companies. The public shareholding of the resultant entity created by the merger of an unlisted and a listed company has to be more than 25 per cent. The decision is based on the instances where Mergers was being used indirectly by unlisted companies to become listed by merging with small listed companies. Besides, some of the listed companies were issuing securities to only favored people.
- Which Indian city has been listed in the Global Cities Talent Competitiveness Index 2017?
D.BangaloreAnswer – A.Mumbai
For the first time the Global Cities Talent Competitiveness Index 2017 has been released by Global Index regulator on the basis of their reputation and growing efforts in attracting, growing, and retaining global talent. Among the Indian cities, only Mumbai was listed in the index which was topped by Copenhagen.
- Who has been conferred with The Hindu Prize 2016 at the 7th edition of the Hindu Lit for Life festival 2017?
D.Anil MenonAnswer – C.Kiran Doshi
Kiran Doshi won The Hindu Prize 2016 on January 15, 2017 at the 7th edition of The Hindu Lit for Life festival 2017 held in Chennai from January 14-16, 2017. The festival was inaugurated by contemporary artist Gulamohammed Sheikh at Sir Mutha Venkatasubba Rao Concert Hall in Chennai. A retired diplomat and educationist from Gujarat, Kiran Doshi won for his third major work of fiction, Jinnah Often Came to Our House. He was conferred with a citation and a cash prize of Rs. 5 lakh.
- Social Network Facebook is set to launch Fake News Tools for the Facebook network of which country to combat the spread of false news?
D.BrazilAnswer – B.Germany
World’s largest social networking platform, Facebook on January 15, 2017 announced to introduce Fake News Tools for Germany Facebook to help the residents in combating the spread of unrealistic news stories. Under the fake news tool would pass the story that is believed to be false for testing. It will be send to a German non-profit body of investigative journalists, “Correctiv” to check the fact. If they find the story to be false, it will be marked on Facebook as “disputed” and will appear lower in users’ news feeds.
- According to a data released by the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) on January 13, 2017 which year was recorded to be the hottest in India in past 116 years?
D.2015Answer – C.2016
The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) on January 13, 2017 released its statement of climate of India, 2016 and informed that the year 2016 was the hottest year since 1901 for the country. The director general of IMD, Dr K J Ramesh informed that the annual mean land surface air temperature was above normal by 1.04 degree Celsius in the last two years. The reasons cited for the warmer temperatures were a strong El-Nino effect and global warming.
- Which city in Kerala has been declared as the first Elderly-Friendly City of the state on January 14, 2017?
D.KollamAnswer – C.Kozhikode
Kozhikode Corporation was declared as the first Elderly-Friendly Corporation in Kerala. The state government has planned to setup Senior citizen’s club, Day care centres as a part of Vayomitram project for the welfare of the elder people in the state. Kozhikode Corporation has started to collect basic details of all the senior citizens through its 543 Anganwadis, in 75 wards. Senior citizen’s club will be set up under every Anganwadi and it will be running through a ward-level apex committee. The Corporation has allocated Rs. 1.75 crore for the project.
- American President Barack Obama on January 13, 2017 has declared to celebrate January 16 as __________ day.
B.Religious Freedom Day
C.Women Empowerment Day
D.Poverty Elimination DayAnswer – B.Religious Freedom Day
Outgoing US President Barack Obama has signed a proclamation to declare January 16 Religious Freedom Day on January 13, 2017. Religious Freedom Day should be observed to reject politics that seeks to target people because of their religion.
- What is the rank of India in the Global Talent Competitiveness Index (GTCI) 2017?
D.98Answer – B.92
India dropped to 92nd rank in the Global Talent Competitiveness Index (GTCI) released by INSEAD in partnership with The Adecco Group and the Human Capital Leadership Institute of Singapore (HCLI). Last year India stood at 89. The global index of talent competitiveness measures the ability of the countries to grow, attract and retain talent. The list was topped by Switzerland.
- Which famous Chinese linguist died on January 14, 2017 who was well known as father of Pinyin?
D.Fu MaojiAnswer – C.Zhou Youguang
Zhou Youguang, Chinese linguist known as the “father of Pinyin” died on January 14 2017 in Beijing. He was 111. In 1955, the Chinese government appointed Zhou to reform the traditional Chinese language to simply Chinese language. He created the writing system Pinyin that turns Chinese characters into words using letters from the Roman alphabet.
- Which country has signed an agreement with Indonesia on January 15 2017 for bilateral cooperation on maritime security and build defence ties?
D.JapanAnswer – D.Japan
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Indonesian President Joko Widodo on January 15, 2016 agreed upon their commitment to deepen cooperation on maritime security and deepen defence ties. Japan will encourage cooperation on maritime security and encourage the development of the remote islands of Indonesia as both nations face dispute with China over maritime issues. Japanese investment in Indonesia had nearly doubled from 2015 to about $5 billion in 2016. Japan has won bids to construct Indonesia’s largest coal-fired power plant and a mass rapid transit system for Jakarta.
- The new Adoption Regulation 2017 of Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015 seeks to replace which Law?
A.Adoption Regulation 2007
B.Adoption Guidelines 2015
C Adoption Regulation 2003
D Adoption Guidelines 1999Answer – B.Adoption Guidelines, 2015.
The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development on January 4, 2017 issued a guideline regarding the Adoption Regulations 2017. These new rules will be effective from January 16, 2017. The Adoption Regulation 2017 implements the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015. It has been framed by the Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) to be mandatory under section 68 I of the Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015 and will replace the existing Adoption Guidelines, 2015.
- China on January 15, 2017 provided two new ships to which country’s navy to ensure joint security across the economic corridor of the two countries?
D.PakistanAnswer – D.Pakistan
China has handed over two ships to Pakistan Navy on January 15, 2017 in order to ensure joint security along the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) and the Gwadar port. The two ships were received by the Pakistan Navy Vice Admiral Arifullah Hussaini at a ceremony held at Gwadar port. The ships named Hingol and Basol gets its name from nearby rivers in Pakistan. China will provide two more ships to Pakistan Navy named Dasht and Zhob after two districts in Balochistan.
- India has signed a Financing Agreement worth USD 48 Million with which bank for “Nagaland Health Project”?
A.Asian Development Bank
B.Reserve Bank of India
D.State Bank of IndiaAnswer – C.World Bank
The Joint Secretary of Department of Economic Affairs, Mr. Raj Kumar and Acting Country Director of the World Bank Mrs. Genevieve Connors are signed s financing agreement for IDA credit of US$ 48 million for the ‘Nagaland Health Project’ on January 16, 2017. The Nagaland Health Project has approved by the World Bank on December 19, 2016. The deadline of Nagaland health Project is 31st March, 2023.
- IRDAI on January 16 2017 formed an eight member panel to review life insurance product norms. Who will be the head of the committee?
D.K S GopalakrishnanAnswer – A.Amitabh Chaudhary
The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has formed a 8 member committee headed by Amitabh Chaudhry, CEO of HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company to review life insurance product regulations on January 16, 2017. The committee will analysis the existing framework of IRDA-linked and non-linked insurance product regulations. They will review other key aspects like changing economic and insurance market environment, customers’ needs and expectations and insurance product flexibility and innovations.
- The Wholesale Price Index (WPI) Inflation increased to _______ percent in December 2016 compared to 3.15 percent WPI Inflation in November 2016.
D.3.33 PercentAnswer – B.3.39 Percent
Wholesale Price Index (WPI) inflation rose to 3.39 percent in December 2016 breaking the record of last three months. The rise was due to increase in prices of manufactured items. In November 2016 the WPI inflation was 3.15 percent. However, the overall food inflation witnessed contraction in December 2016 as against previous month November 2016. It declined by -0.70 percent from 1.54 percent in November.
- Which Firm has commissioned a 500 MW Thermal Unit In West Bengal on January 16 2017?
D.L&TAnswer – A.BHEL
Government owned Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited(BHEL) has commissioned new 500 MW Thermal Unit in West Bengal on January 16, 2016. This was the second 500 MW at Sagardighi Thermal Power Station (TPS) Phase II project in Murshidabad district of West Bengal. The first unit of the 1,000-MW project was commissioned in December, 2015. BHEL has so far contributed 83 per cent of the total coal-based generating capacity of WBPDCL.
- Who has been named to be appointed as the interim CEO of the public broadcaster Prasar Bharati to be effective from February 2017?
D.Sanjeev ShuklaAnswer – C.Rajeev Singh
Rajeev Singh, Member of Prasar Bharati Board will take charge as interim CEO of the public broadcaster Prasar Bharati in February, 2017. He will replace S C Panda. Rajeev was elected as Interim CEO during the Prasar Bharati Board meeting held in Hyderabad on January 15, 2017.
- Recently a team of scientists has discovered bacteria named ________ which is resistant to all antibiotics available for treatment of infection caused by drug-resistant organism.
D.Staphylococcus aureusAnswer – A.Klebsiella pneumonia
According to a research work published in CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), a multidrug-resistant organism has been indentified known as carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) which is resistant to all available antibiotics. Commonly identified as Klebsiella pneumonia, the organism leads to high rate of death as thus has been labeled as “night mare” bacteria. The work was based on a case where-in a 70 year old American lady was infected by a superbug biting on her tour to India and eventually died due to the resistant capacity of the organism.
- The first event of the 2017 Khelo India National level Competitions for under 14 and under 17 year children was inaugurated in which city on January 15, 2017?
D.PuneAnswer – C.New Delhi
The Minister of State (I/C) for Youth Affairs and Sports Shri Vijay Goel inaugurated the Khelo India National level Competitions on various sports for Under-14 and Under-17 children on January 15, 2017 in New Delhi. The competition was organized by Sports Authority of India under aegis of Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports in Swimming, Cycling and Wrestling at the Dr. Syama Prasad Mukherjee Swimming Pool Complex at Talkatora.
- Which renowned Physiology Nobel Prize Winner of 2007 died on January 10, 2017 who was known for introducing the technique behind knockout mice?
C.Alexander G. Ogston
D.Oliver SmithiesAnswer – D.Oliver SmithiesExplanation :
Dr. Oliver Smithies, faculty member of the University of North Carolina was passed away. He was 91. Oliver was a renowned giant in the field of gene targeting and “knockout mice,” which are used to study how specific genes worked. He created the first animal model of cystic fibrosis in 1992, and his technique of creating designer mice advanced the understanding of many diseases, including cancer, obesity and heart disease.