AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 5 May 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Name the webinar, which was organised by National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG-Jal shakti ministry) and National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA- housing and urban affairs ministry) on theme “The future of River Management”.
1) Dekho Apna Desh
2) Citizen Engagement
3) Educate people
By taking the above factors in consideration, on May 1, 2020, the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) under the Ministry of Jal Shakti and National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) organized an IDEAthon, a webinar on a theme “The future of River Management” to formulate River Management strategies for the future by learning lessons for river management from the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown positive impact on rivers.
- What is the name of train which ran from Labour day to move migrant workers, pilgrims, tourists, students and other persons stranded at different places due to lock down.
1) Boat Mail
2) Ahimsa Special
3) Shramik Special
4) Circular Special
5) Amaravati Special
Answer-3) Shramik Special
As per the guideline issued by Ministry of Home Affairs, it has been decided to run “Shramik Special” trains from “Labour Day” today, to move migrant workers, pilgrims, tourists, students and other persons stranded at different places due to lock down. These special trains will be run from point to point on the request of both the concerned State Governments as per the standard protocols for sending and receiving such stranded persons. The Railways and State Governments shall appoint senior officials as Nodal Officers for coordination and smooth operation of these “Shramik Specials”.
- Name the Indian state which has decided to launch ‘Mukhya Mantri Shahari Rojgar Guarantee Yojna’ for urban employment (120 days of employment).
1) Himachal Pradesh
4) Tamil Nadu
Answer-1) Himachal Pradesh
In a bid to revive the economy of the state affected by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic, the Himachal Pradesh (HP) state government has decided to launch employment guarantee scheme called “’Mukhya Mantri Shahari Rojgar Guarantee Yojna” that will provide 120 days of employment to those living in urban areas. The decision was taken during the cabinet meeting held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister(CM) Jai Ram Thakur.
- RBI has cancelled the license of 105yr old CKP Co-operative Bank Ltd under Section 5 (b) read with Section 56 of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949. The Bank is located in which city?
After the closure of Punjab and Maharashtra Co-operative (PMC) Bank, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has cancelled the license granted to the 105-year-old CKP Co-operative Bank Ltd located in Mumbai (Maharashtra) to conduct banking business which includes acceptance of deposits and repayment of deposits as defined in Section 5 (b) read with Section 56 of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 with immediate effect. The order has come into effect after the working hours of 30 April, 2020 in order to save investors’ decision.
- Which IIT has collaborated with Hongkong based New Frontier Capital Management company to create venture capital?
1) IIT Hyderabad
2) IIT Madras
3) IIT Delhi
4) IIT Bombay
5) IIT Ropar
Answer-1) IIT Hyderabad
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Hyderabad, collaborated with New Frontier Capital Management, a financial firm based in Hong Kong with offices in Tokyo & Singapore, to establish a global network of ventures as well as to create a venture ecosystem.
- What is the rank of India in the scientific publication as on National Science Foundation (NSF) database for the year 2018?
In 2018, India ranks 3rd globally in the scientific publication as National Science Foundation (NSF) database. The first two ranks were occupied by the USA and China, respectively.
- US based silver lake partners has bought 1.15% stake in which among the following company recently?
1) Aerovoyce Telecom Limited
2) Bharti Airtel Limited
3) Vodafone-Idea Limited
4) Tata Sky Limited
5) Jio Platforms Limited
Answer-5) Jio Platforms Limited
US(United States) private equity company Silver Lake partners has bought a 1.15% stake in Jio Platforms Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) for Rs 5,655.75 crore ($750 million).
- Name the Indian company which has signed an agreement with Trafigura Pvt Ltd, Singapore to acquire 50% stake in Ryker Base Private Limited (RBPL).
1) Finolex Cables
2) Havells India
3) V-Guard Industries
4) Polycab India
5) RR Kabel
Answer-4) Polycab India
Polycab India Limited (PIL) has signed an agreement with Trafigura Pte Ltd, Singapore (Trafigura) to acquire 50% stake in Ryker Base Private Limited (RBPL) thereby terminating the existing joint venture (JV). In this regard, PIL has acquired 2,60,10,000 (i.e. balance 50% equity shares) of face value of Rs.10/- each held by Trafigura, Singapore (‘Trafigura’) in Ryker Base. The purchase consideration is likely to be around US $ 4 Million (Rs 300 million).
- Name the country which plans to launch its 1st satellite to monitor Arctic climate & environment named “Arktika-M” by December 2020.
5) United States
Russia will launch its 1st Arktika-M satellite by December 9, 2020 to monitor the Arctic climate and environment. It will be launched from Baikonur space center (Kazakhstan) using a Soyuz-2.1b carrier rocket with a Fregat booster. This announcement was made by General Director of Lavochkin aerospace company of Russia,Vladimir Kolmykov on May 04, 2020. The 2nd Arktika-M satellite is still under development and will be launched in 2023.
- The researchers at National Institute of Animal Biotechnology (NIAB) developed a biosensor “eCovSens” to detect the covid-19 within 30 sec using 20 microliters of the sample of saliva. The NIAB is located at which city?
2) New Delhi
The researchers from the Department of Biotechnology(DBT), National Institute of Animal Biotechnology(NIAB) developed a biosensor “eCovSens” to detect the novel coronavirus within 30 seconds using 20 microliters of the sample of saliva The Biosensors is currently used to detect toxins, narcotic drugs and used as a reliable tool to detect infectious diseases.Headquarters– Hyderabad, Telangana.
- Indian Institute of Geomagnetism (IIG) has developed 1D fluid simulation code to study electric field structure in Earth’s Magnetosphere. Where is IIG located?
1) Bengaluru, Karnataka
2) Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
3) Hyderabad, Telangana
4) Mumbai, Maharashtra
5) Kolkata, West Bengal
Answer-4) Mumbai, Maharashtra
Scientists, under the guidance of Dr. Amar Kakad, at the Indian Institute of Geomagnetism (IIG) located in Mumbai, Maharashtra an autonomous institution of the Department of Science and Technology have developed a generalized one-dimensional (1D) fluid simulation code capable of studying a wide spectrum of coherent electric field structures in near-earth plasma environment or earth’s magnetosphere. This development will help in planning of future space missions.
- The Swimming Federation Internationale de Natation (FINA) has postponed the 2021 aquatics world championships, Fukuoka, Japan to 2022. Where is HQ of FINA located?
4) New York
On 4th May,following the postponement of 2020 Tokyo Olympics to 2021 the governing body of swimming Federation Internationale de Natation (FINA) has postponed the 2021 aquatics world championships, Fukuoka, Japan to May 13 to May 29 of 2022 due to the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic. FINA Headquarters– Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Sandeep Kumari who has been banned for 4 year by World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) is associated with which sports?
1) Discus Throw
2) Shot Put
3) Javelin Throw
4) Middle distance runner
Answer-1) Discus Throw
Discus thrower Sandeep Kumari, 27 years old, has been given a 4-year ban by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) after failing a drug test, despite her sample previously being deemed clear by the National Dope Test Laboratory (NDTL).
- COVID KATHA- A Multimedia Guide for Mass Awareness”, a multimedia guide on COVID-19 was launched on occasion of 50th Department of Science and Technology Foundation Day. Who is the science and technology minister of India?
1) Harsh Vardhan
2) Prakash Javadekar
3) Ravi Shankar Prasad
4) Arjun Munda
5) Nitin Gadkari
Answer-1) Harsh Vardhan
Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Science & Technology, Health & Family Welfare and Earth Sciences, launched “COVID KATHA- A Multimedia Guide for Mass Awareness”, a multimedia guide on COVID-19 on the occasion of the 50th DST (Department of Science and Technology) Foundation Day. The Golden Jubilee Celebrations were also launched, initiating myriad activities in different parts of the country throughout the year.
- K. S. Nissar Ahmed who passed away recently is ______.
Veteran Poet and Kannada writer Padma Shri Kokkare Hosahalli Shekh Haider Nissar Ahmed popularly known as K S Nissar Ahmed passed away in his residence at Bangalore at the age 84 due to various old age related problems.
- Ajay Kumar Tripathi who passed away recently is the judicial member of which among the following?
1) National Company Law Tribunal
2) Income Tax Appellate Tribunal
4) Central Vigilance Commission
5) National Human Rights Commission
Lokpal member Justice Ajay Kumar Tripathi passed away at the age of 62 in AIIMS (All India Institutes of Medical Sciences), New Delhi due to COVID- 19 (Coronavirus). He was born on November 12, 1957.
- The World Press Freedom Day was celebrated annually on May 3. What is the theme of the day for the year 2020?
1) “Keeping Power in Check: Media, Justice and The Rule of Law”
2) “Critical Minds: Media’s role in advancing peaceful, just and inclusive societies”
3) “Journalism without Fear or Favour”
4) “Media for Democracy: Journalism and Elections in Times of Disinformation”
5) “Access to Information and Fundamental Freedoms – This Is Your Right!”
Answer-3) “Journalism without Fear or Favour”
May 3rd of Every year is organised as World Press Freedom Day by the United Nations(UN) General Assembly with the recommendation of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) all over the world since 1993 to commemorate the Declaration of Windhoek and to provide broader public discussion of the challenges of press freedom and journalist’s safety of the Journalists, civil society representatives, national authorities, academics. The theme of this year’s World Press Freedom Conference is Journalism without Fear or Favour.
- The World Laughter Day for the year 2020 was celebrated on which date?
1) May 1
2) May 2
3) April 29
4) May 3
5) April 30
Answer-4) May 3
Every first Sunday of May is celebrated as the World Laughter Day to raise awareness about laughter and the healing properties of laughter and this year the day falls on 3rd May. More than 70 countries around the world are celebrating the world laughter day on this occasion. The first World laughter day was celebrated on 10th May 1998 in Mumbai, India organised by Dr Madan Kataria, the founder of the Worldwide Laughter Yoga movement.
- The International Firefighters’ Day (IFFD) was observed annually on _____.
1) July 8
2) May 4
3) May 15
4) April 14
5) June 2
Answer-2) May 4
On May 4, International Firefighters’ Day (IFFD) is observed every year to recognize and honor the sacrifices that firefighters make to ensure that their communities and environment are as safe as possible.
- What is the name of voice-based applications which was launched by BharatPe recently to avail facilities without touching mobile phones.
1) Paisa Bolega
2) BharatPe Balance
3) BharatPe Paisa
4) Both 1) and 2)
5) Both 2) and 3)
Answer-4) Both 1) and 2)
BharatPe, a Merchant payment and a leading network provider launched two voice-based applications Paisa Bolega and BharatPe Balance for the account holders to access transactions and balance using without touching the phones in the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Aarogya Setu Mitr launched in private public partnership initiativewill be available in the Aarogaya Setu app. Who has developed the Aarogya Setu app?
1) Hyperlink InfoSystem
2) National Informatics Centre
3) Brainvire Infotech Inc
5) Indus Net Technologies
Answer-2) National Informatics Centre
Aarogya Setu Mitr launched in a new private-public partnership (PPP) initiative will be available in the Aarogya Setu app offering consultation regarding COVID-19 from the Tata group, Tech Mahindra and Swasth, a collaboration of other related entities. This initiative was facilitated by the offices of the Principal Scientific Advisor to the Prime Minister and Niti Aayog.Aarogya Setu: Developed by– National Informatics Centre (NIC).
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the country which has announced ban on sale of assault weapons recently (for 2 weeks)?
3) New Zealand
4) United States
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced an immediate ban on the sale and use of assault-style weapons in Canada, two weeks after a gunman killed 22 people in Nova Scotia.
- Name the highest civilian award given in India for promoting unity and integrity.
1) Sardar Patel National Unity Award
2) APJ National Unity Award
3) Radhakrishnan National Unity Award
4) Jawaharlal Nehru National Unity Award
5) Mahatma Gandhi National Unity Award
Answer-1) Sardar Patel National Unity Award
The central government has extended the last date of invitation of nominations for Sardar Patel National Unity Award till June 30, 2020. The Government of India instituted Sardar Patel National Unity Award as the highest civilian award in the name of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, for contribution in promoting unity and integrity of India.
- Which space telescope built by NASA (with contribution of ESA) has completed its 30years in orbit recently?
1) Swift Gamma
In 2020, the Hubble Space Telescope achieves its 30th year in orbit. Hubble’s unique design, allowing it to be repaired and upgraded with advanced technology by astronauts, has made it one of NASA’s longest-living and most valuable observatories, beaming transformational astronomical images to Earth for decades.
- Who is the 1st chairman of Lokpal in India (he is also the present chairman)?
1) Sharad Arvind Bobde
2) Ranjan Gogoi
3) Dipak Misra
4) Pinaki Chandra Ghose
5) KK Venugopal
Answer-4) Pinaki Chandra Ghose
Retired Supreme Court judge Pinaki Chandra Ghose was appointed as the first Lokpal of India by a committee consisting of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi and Loksabha speaker Sumitra Mahajan and Eminent Jurist Mukul Rohatgi on 17 March 2019.
- Where is the HQ of World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) located?
1) Lausanne, Switzerland
2) Budapest Hungary
3) Port Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
4) Montreal, Canada
5) Beijing, China
Answer-4) Montreal, Canada
World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) is a strong defender of ethical sports and guarantees athletes’ legal protection. WADA also aims to harmonise antidoping work all over the world. WADA was established in 1999, and its head office is located in Montreal, Canada.
- What is the Currency of Russia?
The capital and currency of Russia is Moscow and Russian Rouble respectively.