AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 31 December 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Where was India’s highest Meterological Center, recently inaugurated by Minister of Earth Science Harsh Vardhan on December, 2020?
1) Shillong, Meghalaya
2) Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
3) Ooty, Tamil Nadu
4) Leh, Ladakh
5) Darjeeling, West Bengal
Answer-4) Leh, Ladakh
On December 29, 2020, Union Minister of Earth Sciences, Dr Harsh Vardhan virtually inaugurated India’s Highest Meteorological (Met) Centre at Leh, Ladakh (UT). It is situated at a height of 3500 metres from the mean sea level. Radha Krishna Mathur, Lieutenant Governor (LG) of Ladakh & Jamyang Tsering Namgyal, MP from Ladakh were the Guest of Honour at the event. The Met centre has been established to prevent losses due to weather events such as Cloud bursts, Flash Floods, Avalanches & Glacial Lake Outbursts & to strengthen the Early Warning System in Ladakh.
- Where was India’s 1st Pollinator Park inaugurated in December 2020?
1) Ramnagar, Uttarakhand
2) Kolhapur, Maharashtra
3) Haldwani, Uttarakhand
4) Bhiwandi, Maharashtra
5) Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu
Answer-3) Haldwani, Uttarakhand
On December 29, 2020, India’s 1st Pollinator Park was inaugurated at Haldwani in Nainital district, Uttarakhand by Peter Smetacek, a butterfly expert & Sanjiv Chaturvedi, Chief Conservator of Forest (Research), head of Research Wing, Uttarakhand India was also present during the inauguration. The park has been developed by the Research Wing of Uttarakhand’s Forest Department.
- Which oil company launched India’s 1st Remote Monitoring & Operation Centre for Tracking of Refinery Gas Turbines across all its refineries in Hyderabad, Telangana?
1) Mangalore Refinery
2) Chennai Petroleum
3) Bharat Petroleum
4) Indian Oil
5) Hindustan Petroleum
Answer-4) Indian Oil
On December 29, 2020, Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) launched India’s 1st Remote Monitoring & Operation Centre for Tracking of Refinery Gas Turbines across all its refineries in Hyderabad, Telangana. The project has been implemented by BHEL-GE Gas Turbine Services (BGGTS), a joint venture of Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited-General Electric (BHEL-GE). It was inaugurated by Union Minister for Petroleum & Natural Gas, Dharmendra Pradhan.
- Which institution partnered with Common Services Centers(CSC) to set up “Design and Innovation in VLE’s Indigenous Network Ecosystem(DIVINE) Lab” providing services and products to Village Level Entrepreneurs (VLE)?
1) IIT Bombay
2) IIT Madras
3) IISc Bangalore
4) NIT Warangal
5) IIT Delhi
Answer-5) IIT Delhi
On 29th December 2020, the Common Services Centers(CSC) under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology(MeitY) partnered with the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi to set up a design and innovation lab named “Design and Innovation in VLE’s Indigenous Network Ecosystem(DIVINE) Lab”, which will research on new products and services for Village Level Entrepreneurs (VLE).
- Which state government recently announced its Solar Power Policy 2021, with No cap on solar power production capacity for Individuals or Industries, on December, 2020?
1) Madhya Pradesh
2) Tamil Nadu
4) Andhra Pradesh
On December 29, 2020, Gujarat Chief Minister (CM) Vijay Rupani unveiled the ‘Gujarat Solar Power Policy 2021’ which will be effective from 2021-2025. Any individual or industry can produce solar power in their premises as per their requirements, there will be no cap on the capacity of Solar power production. Consumers can lease their roof or premises to a third party for generation & consumption of power on the same premises.
- Connecting which cities, India’s 1st bullet train project was designed and with a completion target of 2023?
1) Mumbai – Pune
2) Kolkata – Bhubaneshwar
3) Chennai – Lucknow
4) Mumbai – Ahmedabad
5) Delhi – Lucknow
Answer-4) Mumbai – Ahmedabad
First visuals of the ES5 Series Shinkasen or the bullet train that will ply between Mumbai and Ahmedabad have been released by the Japanese embassy. The train will be modified for use as rolling stock of the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail project (MAHSR). The MAHSR project of 508-kilometer length has been sanctioned with a completion target of 2023.
- Where was the 4th International Folklore Festival held, on December, 2020?
1) Lovely Professional University
2) IIT – BHU
3) Chandigarh University
4) Delhi University
5) Jawaharlal Nehru University
Answer-3) Chandigarh University
The fourth International Folklore Festival commenced at Chandigarh University (CU), which was inaugurated by Kazakhstan’s ambassador to India Alimbayev Yerlan, Punjabi singer and actor Dr Satinder Sartaj and Dr Baljit Singh Sekhon, joint secretary of the Association of Indian Universities. More than 1,000 participants from 40 countries will present their traditional and folk dances during the three-day cultural extravaganza.
- Who recently became the youngest Mayor of India, on December, 2020?
1) Arya Rajendran
2) Chandrani Murmu
3) Pritam Munde
4) Dushyant Chautala
5) Aditya Thackeray
Answer-1) Arya Rajendran from Kerala
Twenty-one-year-old Arya Rajendran was sworn in as the Mayor of the Thiruvananthapuram city Corporation, Kerala after she secured 54 votes in the 100-member Council in the election held on December 28. She is the youngest to become Mayor till date in India.
- What was the desired inflation rate of India need to be maintained as per RBI paper authored by one of the Deputy Governor of RBI as of December, 2020?
In accordance with the paper authored by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Deputy Governor Michael Debabrata Patra and another official Harendra Kumar Behera, an inflation rate of 4% is appropriate for India. A lower rate could impart deflationary bias to the monetary policy while a higher trend renders monetary policy too expansionary and prone to inflationary shocks. As per the paper, there is a steady decline in trend inflation to 4.1-4.3% since 2014.
- Which bank topped in India as per the Banking, financial services and insurance (BFSI) Movers and Shakers 2020 Report released by Wizikey?
1) Indian Bank
2) State Bank of India
3) ICICI Bank
4) HDFC Bank
5) Punjab National Bank
Answer-4) HDFC Bank
In accordance with the Banking, financial services and insurance (BFSI) Movers and Shakers 2020 Report by Wizikey, Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited (HDFC), Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India (ICICI), and State Bank of India (SBI) are the top three banks of 2020 in India. Among wallets, Google Pay has emerged as topper followed by Phone Pe.
- Which private bank has collaborated with Salesforce to build a next generation technology platform for retail lending business in December, 2020?
1) UCO Bank
2) ICICI Bank
3) YES Bank
4) State Bank of India
5) HDFC Bank
Answer-3) YES Bank
On December 22, 2020 YES Bank collaborated with Salesforce to build a next generation technology platform for retail lending business. YES BANK is among the first banks in India to partner with Salesforce for Loan origination and processing. The platform is developed in accordance with the strategy of the bank to further scale up its retail assets portfolio. A ‘Salesforce Loan Origination System’, is being deployed to provide personalized solutions and connected banking experiences
- Which bank India has introduced ‘Travel Now’, a one-stop travel marketplace on its digibank app?
1) Deutsche Bank
2) DBS Bank India
3) Lakshmi Vilas Bank
4) SBM Bank India
5) Federal Bank
Answer-2) DBS Bank India
On December 29, 2020 DBS Bank India introduced ‘Travel Now’, a one-stop travel marketplace within the digibank app. This new feature allows the customer to browse and book flights, bus tickets and hotels across many destinations within and outside of India. The customers also have the option to choose travel insurance, offered by Bharti AXA General Insurance, along with an automated claims process for flight cancellation, and flight departure and arrival delays of over 60 minutes.
- As per the recent amendments to the GST Rules, businesses with monthly turnover of over _____ are liable to pay at least 1% GST liability in cash, w.e.f January 1, 2021.
1) Rs. 1 Crore
2) Rs. 10 Crore
3) Rs. 10 lakhs
4) Rs. 25 lakhs
5) Rs. 50 lakhs
Answer-5) Rs. 50 lakhs
On December 24, 2020, the Ministry of Finance made amendments in the Goods and Services Tax (GST) Rules on the recommendations of the GST Council’s Law Committee in order to curb evasion by fake invoicing. The changes have been notified by the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC). GST Rules w.e.f. January 1, 2021, which restricts use of input tax credit (ITC) for discharging GST liability to 99% for businesses with monthly turnover of over Rs 50 lakh. Means these businesses will have to mandatorily pay at least 1% of their GST liability in cash.
- Where will India’s 1st ethanol plant be set up under the MoU signed between BSSUKM, a sugar mill and NKJ Biofuel Ltd Under Public Private Partnership?
5) West Bengal
On December 30, 2020 Bhoramdeo Sahakari Sakhar Utpadak Karkhana Maryadit (BSSUKM), a sugar mill signed Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with NKJ Biofuel Ltd, a subsidiary of Chhattisgarh Distillery Limited(CDL) to set up India’s 1st ethanol plant under Public-Private Partnership(PPP) model at BSSUKM in Kabirdham(Kawardha), Chhattisgarh. The agreement is valid for 30 years. This plant will make ethanol from sugarcane.
- Which organisation signed an MoU with Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation(PCMC), Pune to create India’s 1st Social Impact Bond (SIB), on December, 2020?
1) UNEP India
2) UNICEF India
4) World Bank
5) UNDP India
Answer-5) UNDP India
Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation(PCMC), Pune has signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with United Nations Development Programme(UNDP) India to co-create India’s 1st Social Impact Bond(SIB). As part of this investment tool, if the pre-defined project targets are fulfilled, the PCMC administration will bear only the public welfare project cost associated with the bond. This SIB will support PCMC to upgrade its healthcare services particularly regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, while incurring minimum investment risks.
- Who was appointed as the Chairman of the advisory committee to use futuristic and new age technologies for conservation of Indian heritage conservation, in December, 2020?
1) Santanu Chaudhury
2) Renu Swarup
3) Ashutosh Sharma
4) Hardik Somani
5) Rajiv Kumar
Answer-1) Santanu Chaudhury
On December 23, 2020 The Department of Science and Technology(DST) under Frontier and Futuristic Technologies (FFT) Division constituted an advisory committee to use futuristic and new age technologies for conservation of Indian heritage conservation, documentation, and digital restoration. The committee will be chaired by Santanu Chaudhury, Director, IIT Jodhpur Rajasthan. With a focus on technical inputs to advance the heritage domain from Hardik Somani, Director and Chief Operating Officer of Sapio Analytics
- Name the Indian Union Minister who was recently nominated by GAVI, the vaccine alliance as a member of the GAVI Board, on December, 2020?
1) Dr. Jitendra Singh
2) Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad
3) Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey
4) Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani
5) Dr. Harsh Vardhan
Answer-5) Dr.Harsh Vardhan
On December 29, 2020 GAVI (formerly theGlobal Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation), the vaccine alliance nominated Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare as a member on the GAVI Board. He will represent the South East Area Regional Office(SEARO)/ Western Pacific Regional Office (WPRO) constituency on the GAVI Board. He will succeed MyintHtwe, Union Minister of Health and Sports, Govt of Republic of the Union of Myanmar. He will be on the board from January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2023.
- Which organisation recently bought additional 32.67% stake in AirAsia India Limited to increase its stake holdings to 83.67%, on December, 2020?
1) Mahindra Group
2) Tata Sons
3) State Bank of India
Answer-2) Tata Sons
On December 29, 2020 Tata Sons acquired an additional 32.67% stake in AirAsia India Limited from AirAsia Investment Ltd (AAIL), subsidiary of AirAsia Group Berhad for USD 37.66 million (about Rs 275 crore). Earlier Tata Sons was holding 51% in AirAsia India, with this acquisition Tata Sons will hold 83.67% stake.
- Which was Myanmar Navy’s 1st & only Submarine that was handed over by India under its SAGAR initiative as of December 2020?
1) INS Kalvari
2) INS Shishumar
3) INS Arighat
4) INS Arihant
5) INS Sindhuvir
Answer-5) INS Sindhuvir
Myanmar officially inducted the Kilo Class Submarine, ‘INS Sindhuvir’ into its Navy under the name ‘UMS Minye Theinkhathu’. The submarine was handed over by India to Myanmar in October, 2020. It is the 1st & only submarine of the Myanmar Navy. It is also the 1st time that India has given a Submarine to any other country. It was given to Myanmar under India’s vision of SAGAR (Security and Growth for All in the Region). The Submarine was inducted during 73rd anniversary (December 25) of the Myanmar Navy. M
- Which wing of DRDO successfully developed the Quantum Random Number Generator (QRNG), on December, 2020?
1) Aeronautical Development Establishment
2) Aerial Delivery Research & Development Establishment
3) Young Scientist Laboratory
4) Armaments Research & Development Establishment
5) Advanced Systems Laboratory
Answer-3) Young Scientist Laboratory
The DRDO (Defence Research & Development Organisation) Young Scientist Laboratory for Quantum Technologies (DYSL-QT) has successfully developed the Quantum Random Number Generator (QRNG). QRNG has the capability to detect random quantum events & convert them into a stream of binary digits. DYSL-QT has developed a fiber-optic branch path based QRNG. Random Numbers play important roles in the fields of Quantum communication & cryptography applications.
- Who had developed the Ruthenium plaque therapy which used for the 1st time to treat eye cancer patients?
1) Indian Space Research Organisation
2) Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
3) Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research
4) Defence Research and Development Organisation
5) Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research
Answer-2) Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
On December 29, 2020, an eye cancer therapy namely “Ruthenium plaque therapy” developed by Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) has been successfully used for the first time for the treatment of patients with ocular tumors in All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)-Delhi. The therapy used Ruthenium 106 plaque for treatment of a patient with choroidal hemangioma (benign tumor in blood vessels).
- Which gene was identified by IISER researchers as a potential gene responsible for Green pigmentation of leaves?
Researchers at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) have identified a gene that facilitates in the greening of plants by playing a crucial role in regulating the levels of protochlorophyllide — an intermediate in the biosynthesis of the green pigment chlorophyll. They identified the gene ‘BBX11’ is responsible for pigmentation.
- How many teams will be playing in Indian Premier League (IPL) from 2022?
The BCCI’s all-powerful general body will give approval to a 10-team Indian Premier League during its Annual General Body Meeting but it will only materialise in 2022 instead of the coming year 2021. A 10-team IPL means 94 games and nearly two and half month window which can throw the international calendar into disarray.
- Which Russian player was banned by Badminton World Federation for 5 years, on December, 2020?
1) Nikita Khakimov
2) Konstantin Abramov
3) Andrey Antropov
4) Darren Hall
5) Vladimir Ivanov
Answer-1) Nikita Khakimov
Russian doubles badminton player Nikita Khakimov has received a five-year ban from the Badminton World Federation (BWF) after being found guilty of offenses relating to “betting, wagering and irregular match results”.
- Which sport did late Nikhil Nandy represent India in Olympic games?
On December 29, 2020 Nikhil Nandy, former Indian footballer and olympian passed away at the age of 88 in Nagerbazar, West Bengal. He was born in 1932 at Kolkata (Calcutta), West Bengal. He played with the Blue Tigers (Indian Football team) in 1956 Summer Olympics, held in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, from 22 November to 8 December 1956.
- Where did researchers discover 2 new species of Plants: Hedychium mechukanum and Amomum arunachalense?
3) Madhya Pradesh
4) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer-4) Arunachal Pradesh
Researchers have discovered 2 new species: Hedychium mechukanum and Amomum arunachalense from Arunachal Pradesh, North East India. The Hedychium mechukanum belongs to the Hedychium genus and Amomum arunachalense belongs to the Amomum genus. The Hedychium mechukanum found in north east India and China. This species is closely related to the Hedychium coronarium.
- Which is India’s 1st of its kind Digital platform for Ocean Data Management that was virtually launched by Minister of Earth Science Harsh Vardhan on December, 2020?
1) Blue India
2) Ocean eReferral
3) Ocean eHealth
4) Ocean Data Manager
5) Digital Ocean
Answer-5) Digital Ocean
On December 29, 2020 Union Minister for Earth Science, Dr Harsh Vardhan virtually launched ‘Digital Ocean’ (www.do.incois.gov.in) a 1st of its kind Digital platform for Ocean Data Management. The platform has been developed by INCOIS (Indian National Center for Ocean Information Services) of the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES). The integration of data into a single platform will ease the difficulty of handling vast ocean data sets required to make forecasts & weather modelling.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Which state does the Ramsar site, Nalsarovar Bird Sanctuary belong?
3) Madhya Pradesh
4) Tamil Nadu
The Ramsar site, Nalsarovar Bird Sanctuary belong to Gujarat.
- Where is the Headquarters of GAVI located?
1) Paris, France
2) The Hague, Netherland
3) Rome, Italy
4) Madrid, Spain
5) Geneva, Switzerland
Answer-5) Geneva, Switzerland
The Headquarters of GAVI located at Geneva, Switzerland.
- When was Reserve Bank of India established?
Reserve Bank of India was established on 1st April 1935.
- Where is the Headquarters of India Meteorological Department (IMD) located?
5) New Delhi
Answer-5) New Delhi
The Headquarters of India Meteorological Department (IMD) located at New Delhi.
- Which of the following is the currency of Myanmar?
3) Pound sterling
The Burmese kyat is the currency of Myanmar.