AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 16 May 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- For which sector the central government has introduced new scheme of providing interest subvention of 2% per annum for working capital loans (in May 2020)?
1) Pharmaceutical sector
2) Tourism sector
3) Mining sector
4) Dairy sector
5) Education sectorAnswer-4) Dairy sector
Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying has introduced a new scheme “Interest subvention on Working Capital Loans for Dairy sector” for supporting Dairy Cooperatives and Farmer Producer Organizations (SDC&FPO) engaged in dairy activities. A budgetary provision of Rs 100 Crore earmarked for this and will be implemented during 2020-21.The scheme has made provisions for providing interest subvention of 2% per annum, with an additional incentive of 2% per annum interest subvention to be given in case of prompt and timely repayment/interest servicing.The scheme will be implemented through National Dairy Development Board (NDDB), Anand, Gujarat.
- Name the ministry which has launched initiative named GOAL – Going Online As Leaders in partnership with Facebook.
1) Ministry of Science and Technology
2) Ministry of Tribal Affairs
3) Ministry of Social Empowerment and Social Justice
4) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
5) Ministry of External AffairsAnswer-2) Ministry of Tribal Affairs
Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Shri Arjun Munda launched the ‘GOAL’ – Going Online As Leaders of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs(MoTA) in partnership with Facebook at a Webinar in New Delhi. GOAL is designed to provide mentorship to tribal youth with digital mode.
- The Union Health and Family Welfare minister Harsh Vardhan has dedicated which COVID-19 testing machine to the nation recently?
1) COBAS 8600
2) COBAS 6900
3) COBAS 6800
4) COBAS 7100
5) COBAS 6400Answer-3) COBAS 6800
Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare dedicated the COBAS 6800 COVID-19 testing machine to the nation during a visit to the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) in New Delhi. The machine has been placed at the NCDC because it requires a minimum BSL2+ (Biosafety Level Two Plus) containment level for testing, and cannot be placed at just any facility. COBAS 6800 can also detect other pathogens like Viral Hepatitis B and C, HIV, Mtb, Papilloma, CMV, Chlamadiya, Neiserreia, etc. About COBAS 6800: The COBAS 6800 is a fully automated, high-end machine for performing Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) tests for COVID-19. The machine will provide high-volume and quality testing and will be able to test around 1200 samples in 24 hours. This will help to increase the testing capacity in the country.
- The AYUSH ministry and CSIR has announced that they are working together to validate which among following formulations of AYUSH?
5) All the aboveAnswer-5) All the above
Minister of State(Independent/Charge) for ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy(AYUSH), Shripad Yesso(Y) Naik has announced that AYUSH ministry & Council of Scientific & Industrial Research(CSIR) are working together to validate 4 Ayush formulations Ashwagandha, Yashtimadhu (Mulethi), Guduchi Pippali(Giloy) and AYUSH-64(poly herbal formulation) against COVID-19 & and the trials will start within a week.
- The central government has declared the ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ system completely to roll out in all UTs and states from _________.
1) June 2020
2) August 2020
3) March 2021
4) January 2021
5) July 2021Answer-3) March 2021
The Centre has declared that the technology driven ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ system will be fully rolled out in all states and Union Territories (UTs) by March 2021. Currently, 20 states have implemented this inter-state ration card portability.
- The government has announced to provide Interest subvention of 2% for prompt payees for a period of 12 months for Shishu MUDRA loanees. What is the maximum limit of loan under MUDRA – Shishu?
5) 1,00,000Answer-1) 50,000
The small businesses under MUDRA have been mostly disrupted by lockdown and also impacted their capacity to pay Equated Monthly Installments (EMIs). Already loan moratorium has already been granted by RBI. The current portfolio of MUDRA-Shishu loans is Rs 1.62 Lakh crore (Maximum loan amount of 50,000 Rs). To tackle with this situation the Government of India will provide Interest subvention of 2% for prompt payees for a period of 12 months.
- The police of which state/UT got India’s first ‘Thermal Corona Combat Headgear’ to ensure the safety of frontline warriors and enforce social distancing?
3) Tamil Nadu
5) PuducherryAnswer-4) Delhi
Delhi Police launched India’s first ‘Thermal Corona Combat Headgear’ to ensure the safety of frontline warriors and enforce social distancing. The initiative has been launched by the Delhi police in collaboration with Indian Robotics Solution. This equipment helps police personnel to detect the temperature of a large number of people from a distance of 10-15 metres.
- What is the fall in amount of CO2 emission in India in the fiscal year ended in March 2020, as per environmental website, Carbon Brief?
1) 15 metric tonnes
2) 30 metric tonnes
3) 35 metric tonnes
4) 20 metric tonnes
5) 40 metric tonnesAnswer-2) 30 metric tonnes
According to analysis by the environmental website, Carbon Brief, India’s Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions fell by 30metric tonnes(1.4%) in the fiscal year ending March, which is the first annual decline in four decades. Furthermore, emission fell by 15% during the month of March and is likely to fall by 30% in April.The analysis is done by Lauri Myllyvirta and Sunil Dahiya of Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air(CREA).
- Which Indian state’s education department has partnered with Doordarshan to provide school education to students of the state through video lectures?
1) West Bengal
5) ChhattisgarhAnswer-2) Jharkhand
In Jharkhand, the State Education Department (dept) in collaboration with Doordarshan (DD) started online classes and educational programmes to provide school education to students of the state through video and thematic lectures. The special educational lectures are designed for students from class 1 to 12 with special slots allotted for each class.
- Name the country which has named one of its streets after Indian poet Rabindranath Tagore on his 159th birth anniversary recently.
1) United Kingdom
2) United States
5) IsraelAnswer-5) Israel
Israel named a street in Tel Aviv after Indian poet Rabindranath Tagore on his 159th birth anniversary to honor his valuable contributions in the field and to mankind. He was born on May 7, 1861, in Calcutta. In Bengal Rabindra Jayanti is celebrated on the 25th day of the Bengali month of Boishakh.
- Gujarat government has launched ‘Atmanirbhar Gujarat Sahay Yojna’ to provide loans to small businessmen. Who is the CM of Gujarat?
1) Ashok Gehlot
2) Kamal Nath
3) Hemant Soren
4) Vijay Rupani
5) Mamata BanerjeeAnswer-4) Vijay Rupani
In a bid to help people start a normal life which has been affected due to the coronavirus (Covid-19) lockdown , the Gujarat state government has launched a ‘Atmanirbhar Gujarat Sahay Yojna (AGSY)’ under which small businessmen and a cross- section of people falling under the lower middle-income group can take a guarantee-free loan of Rs 1 lakh from banks at a 2 % annual interest rate for a period of 3 years. Vijay Rupani is the CM of Gujarat.
- Name the Indian state which has launched ‘Sneher Porosh’ and ‘Prochesta’ schemes.
1) West Bengal
5) ChhattisgarhAnswer-1) West Bengal
The Chief Minister of West Bengal Mamata Banerjee launched two schemes ‘Sneher Porosh’ and to provide support for the migrant workers and ‘Prochesta’ to help the workers of the unorganised sector of Bengal to enable them to earn their living in the lockdown situation.
- What is the grant approved for India ‘s COVID-19 social protection program by world bank (in May 2020)?
1) USD 1 billion
2) USD 500 million
3) USD 2 billion
4) USD 750 million
5) USD 5 billionAnswer-1) USD 1 billion
World Bank approves Rs 7500 crore (1 billion USD) to increase India’s COVID-19 Social Protection response Program to help the nation’s efforts in providing assistance for the poor and needy who are affected by the pandemic.
- As per a report titled “Updated Assessment of the Potential Economic Impact of COVID-19”, global economy is expected to lose between $ 5.8 trillion to $ 8.8 trillion. Name the organisation which released the report.
1) New Development Bank
2) Work Bank
3) International Monetary Fund
4) Asian Development Bank
5) SAARC BankAnswer-4) Asian Development Bank
According to a report “Updated Assessment of the Potential Economic Impact of COVID-19” released by Asian Development Bank (ADB), global economy is expected to lose between $ 5.8 trillion to $ 8.8 trillion (equal to 6.4 % to 9.7 % of global gross domestic product (GDP)) due to the outbreak of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Roberto Azevedo has announced step down (resignation) from the director-general of which world organisation?
5) WTOAnswer-5) WTO
At the World Trade Organisation(WTO) members virtual meeting, the 6th Director-General Roberto Azevedo(62-year-old), a former Brazilian diplomat & 1st Latin American director announced that he will step down from the 7-year tenure(since 2013) on 31st August on personal grounds, cutting his second term in office short by exactly one year.
- The Union Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal participated in trade and investment ministers conference of which organisation (in May 2020)?
5) G20Answer-5) G20
Union Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal participated in a video conference of trade and investment ministers of G20 countries following the G20 trade ministers meet on March 30, 2020 to discuss on COVID-19 situation.This meeting was called upon by India to discuss and ensure that the use the Trade Related Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPs) of flexibilities under a World Trade Organisation(WTO) pact to enable the access of medicine, treatment and vaccines at affordable price among the G20 nations.
- Union health minister Harsh Vardhan participated the 32nd commonwealth health ministers’ meeting recently. Where is the secretariat of Commonwealth located?
2) New Delhi
5) SydneyAnswer-1) London
Union Health & Family Welfare Minister Harsh Vardhan participated in the 32nd Commonwealth Health Ministers’ Meeting through Video Conference. The theme of the meeting is- ‘Delivering a co-ordinated Commonwealth COVID-19 response’.About Commonwealth: Secretariat’s office(Headquarters)– London, United Kingdom.
- Name the Indian Coast Guard ship which was commissioned by Defence minister Rajnath Singh along with Interceptor Boats (IB’s) C-450 and C-451.
5) VishwastAnswer-3) Sachet
Union Defence minister Rajnath Singh has commissioned the indigenously-built Indian Coast Guard(ICG) Ship(ICGS) Sachet, the 1st in the series of five offshore patrol vessels (OPVs), and Interceptor Boats(IB’s) C-450 and C-451 in Goa by video conference from New Delhi. For the 1st time in Indian maritime history that a ship was commissioned through digital medium by maintaining strict protocol of social distancing due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- Name the IIT which has developed interactive dashboard named “MIR AHD Covid-19 Dashboard” to help contain COVID-19 community infection post lockdown.
1) IIT Roorkee
2) IIT Mandi
3) IIT Gandhinagar
4) IIT Kanpur
5) IIT CoorgAnswer-3) IIT Gandhinagar
Researchers at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)- Gandhinagar (IITGN), Gujarat, have developed an interactive COVID-19 dashboard named “MIR AHD Covid-19 Dashboard”, that can help administrators, hospitals as well as public in planning optimised testing for the novel coronavirus and containing community infection in various post-lockdown scenarios.
- Name the country which has won the 1st edition of FIDE Chess.com online Nations Cup 2020 (India – 5th).
5) United StatesAnswer-2) China
China has won the 1st edition of FIDE Chess.com online Nations Cup 2020 chess tournament took place from 5-10 May 2020, through a chess.com platform. China’s team, which won the prize money of $48,000, became the champion on the basis of scoring the most points in the league stage despite playing a 2–2 draw against the US (United States) in the final.
- Veteran author Debesh Roy who passed away in May 2020 is a writer in which language?
5) KannadaAnswer-4) Bengali
Veteran Bengali author Debesh Roy passed away at 84 due to massive cardiac attack in a private hospital in Baguihati. He was born on December 17, 1936 in Pabna(present day Bangladesh).He won the Sahitya Akademi award for his novel ‘Tista Parer Brittanto’ in 1990.
- Padma Bhushan recipient and National Professor Anisuzzaman who passed away recently, belongs to which country?
5) IraqAnswer-1) Bangladesh
Padma Bhushan recipient and Bangladesh’s National Professor Anisuzzaman passed away at the age of 83 in Dhaka, Bangladesh. He was born on February 18, 1937, in Calcutta, Bengal Presidency, British India and shifted to Bangladesh soon after the partition in 1947.He made an immense contribution to Bangla language & literature through his research and writings.
- Little Richard who passed away recently is the architect of which musical genre?
3) Rock n Roll
5) Hip HopAnswer-3) Rock n Roll
Little Richard, architect of rock ‘n’ roll, has passed away at the age of 87 years in Tullahoma, Tennessee due to bone cancer, who was a Grammy Award winner and an inductee to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.
- The theme for International Day of families is “Families in Development: Copenhagen & Beijing + 25”. The Day was observed annually on _____.
1) May 15
2) May 21
3) May 9
4) May 3
5) May 27Answer-1) May 15
International Day of Families is observed every year on May 15 globally. The day provides an opportunity to promote awareness of issues relating to families and to increase the knowledge of the social, economic and demographic processes affecting families. Theme for the year 2020: “Families in Development: Copenhagen & Beijing + 25”.
- The National Endangered Species Day 2020 is observed on May 15. As per the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) at least_____ % of species of animals, plants, and insects are at the risk of extinction.
5) 50Answer-4) 40
In order to raise awareness about endangered species and wildlife in India, National Endangered Species Day is celebrated every year on the 3rd Friday of May. This year the day falls on May 15, 2020.As per the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), at least 40 % species of animals, plants, and insects are at the risk of extinction.
- Name the ministry which has launched the SAMARTH an e-Governance platform.
1) Human Resource Development ministry
2) Science and Development ministry
3) Tribal Affairs ministry
4) External Affairs ministry
5) MSME ministryAnswer-1) Human Resource Development ministry
The Ministry of Human Resource Development has developed an e-Governance platform, SAMARTH Enterprises Resource Planning (ERP) under National Mission of Education in Information and Communication Technology Scheme(NMEICT) to provide quality education to students across all Universities & Higher Education Institutes(HEIs), which is the mission of the Department of Higher Education.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is the HQ of International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) located?
5) GlandAnswer-5) Gland
The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) is a membership Union composed of both government and civil society organisations. It harnesses the experience, resources and reach of its more than 1,400 Member organisations and the input of more than 15,000 experts. The HQ of IUCN located at Gland, Switzerland.
- What is the currency of Bangladesh?
5) RufiyaaAnswer-4) Taka
The Capital and Currency of Bangladesh is Dhaka and Taka respectively.
- What is the capital of Israel?
5) ManamaAnswer-3) Jerusalem
The capital and currency of Israel is Jerusalem and Israeli Shekel respectively.
- Where is the HQ of Fédération Internationale des Échecs (FIDE) located?
5) GlandAnswer-1) Lausanne
FIDE has moved its headquarters from Athens, Greece to Lausanne, Switzerland. FIDE new headquarters are located within the “Maison du Sport International”.
- Who is the present governor of Maharashtra?
1) Acharya Devvrat
2) Jagdeep Dhankhar
3) Draupadi Murmu
4) Anil Baijal
5) Bhagat Singh KoshyariAnswer-5) Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Bhagat Singh Koshyari is a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party from Uttarakhand serving as the Governor of Maharashtra presently.