We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 10 August 2021, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2021 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs August 2021 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2021 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
Naval Exercise “Zayed Talwar 2021” held between India and UAE Indian Navy and United Arab Emirates (UAE) Navy undertook Bilateral Naval Exercise Zayed Talwar 2021 off the coast of Abu Dhabi.
- The Indian Navy deployed INS Kochi and 2 Integral Sea King MK 42B helicopters, whereas the UAE participated in the exercise with Al-Dhafra, a Baynunah class guided missile corvette and one AS-565B Panther helicopter.
- The ships undertook tactical manoeuvres, over the horizon targeting, search and rescue operations and electronic warfare drills to enhance interoperability and synergy between the two navies.
About Indian Navy
Chief of Naval Staff (CNS) – Admiral Karambir Singh
Integrated Headquarters of Ministry of Defence – New Delhi.
About United Arab Emirates
President – Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
Capital – Abu Dhabi
Currency – UAE dirham
>>Read Full News
Venkaiah Naidu Released Postage Stamp on Social Worker ‘Mananiya Chaman Lal’During an event in New Delhi on August 8, 2021, Vice President Venkaiah Naidu released a Commemorative Postage Stamp on the Social worker and Sangh Pracharak, ‘Mananiya Chaman Lal’.
- The postage stamp highlights the life and work of Mananiya Chaman Lal and it was proposed by Amarjiva Lochan, General Secretary, International Centre for Cultural Studies and designed by Sankha Samanta.
- The stamp was issued as a tribute to Unsung Heroes of India, by the Department of Posts, Ministry of Communications.
- The launch was a part of the initiatives of the Department for the ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’ Programme.
i.A First Day Cover (FDC) and an Information Brochure were also unveiled along with the postage stamp.
ii.Mananiya Chaman Lal: He was born on March 25, 1920, in Sialkot (now Pakistan), he worked for the people’s welfare and created an institutional mechanism for helping the Indians abroad and supported in fulfilling the strategic goals of the foreign policy of India.
About Ministry of Communications:
Union Minister – Ashwini Vaishnaw (Constituency – Odisha)
Minister of State – Devusinh Chauhan (Constituency – Kheda, Gujarat)
South Africa becomes 1st Country to grant Patent for an Invention by AI South Africa became the 1st Country in the World to grant Patent to an Artificial Intelligence (AI) System. It has granted a patent related to an Food Container system based on Fractal Geometry invented by the AI system ‘DABUS’ (Device for Autonomous Bootstrapping of Unified Sentience).
- DABUS was created by Stephen Thaler. Its main functions are Emergency warning system, spoiled food alert and others.
- DABUS is a type of AI, often referred to as ‘creativity machines’. They are capable of independent and complex functioning.
About South Africa
President – Cyril Ramaphosa
Capitals – Cape Town, Pretoria, Bloemfontein
Currency – South African RAND
>>Read Full News
IPCC’s AR6 Climate Change 2021 Report: UN Reported ‘Code Red’ WarningThe Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) Sixth Assessment Report (AR6) Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basis by the Working Group I was released. It addresses the most up-to-date physical understanding of the climate system, climate science, etc.
- United Nations(UN) secretary-general Antonio Guterres called the report ‘a code red for humanity’.
- The report states that if the emissions decline slowly, the temperature rise of 2°C, the limit set by the Paris Agreement will be breached by 2060.
- The report gave 5 scenarios for the future based on carbon emissions, as per it, the world will cross the 1.5° C warming mark in the 2030s, earlier than past predictions.
- Under the very high emission scenario with little action, temperatures are likely to rise by up to 5.7°C by the year 2100.
About Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC):
- It is a group put together by the United Nations (UN), comprising over 234 scientists from 66 nations.
- The team of scientists worked together to evaluate over 14,000 research papers over the past five years, culminating in AR6, which is the first of a three-part report.
Establishment – 1988 by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland
Chair – Hoesung Lee
>>Read Full News
BANKING & FINANCE
CBoI made Co-Lending Partnership with DFL to Offer Gold LoansIn August 2021, the Central Bank of India (CBoI) and Dhanvarsha Finvest Ltd (DFL) entered into a strategic co-lending partnership to offer loans against gold ornaments under priority sector lending to Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) borrowers.
- The loans under the co-lending partnership will be offered in the funding ratio of 80:20e. 80 percent of the gold loans with CBoI and 20 percent with DFL.
- The loans against gold ornaments will be created and processed by DFL as per the jointly formulated credit parameters and eligibility criteria.
- DFL will service the loan account throughout the life cycle of the loan.
i.As per Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) CLM, banks could co-lend with all registered Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs) including Housing Finance Companies (HFCs) to priority sector borrowers based on a prior agreement.
ii.Shares under CLM: NBFCs were required to retain a minimum of 20 percent share of the individual loans on their books whereas, the Co-lending bank will take the remaining individual loan share (maximum of 80 percent) on a back-to-back basis in their books.
About Central Bank of India (CBoI):
It was the 1st Indian commercial bank that was wholly owned and managed by Indians.
Establishment – 1911
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
MD & CEO – M. V. Rao
SEBI Amended LODR Regulations; Set Norms for Independent DirectorsIn August 2021, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) amended the SEBI (Listing Obligations and Disclosure Requirements (LODR)) Regulations, 2015 named LODR (Third Amendment) Regulations, 2021.
- It modified certain norms related to the process of appointment/removal of Independent directors (IDs).
- Objective: To enable the transparent appointment/removal of IDs and overcome corporate fraud and promoters’ mismanagement.
- Appointment/Re-appointment and Removal of IDs were now directed to be made only through a special resolution of shareholders.
- A cooling-off period of 1 year has been introduced for an ID transitioning to a whole-time director (WTD) in the same company.
Note – The amended norms would be effective from January 1, 2022.
About Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI):
Establishment – On April 12, 1992, in accordance with the SEBI Act, 1992.
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Chairman – Ajay Tyagi
>>Read Full News
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
ACC Approves Extension of Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Guaba’s Tenure The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the extension of Tenure of Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Guaba by 1 year. He will continue till August 30,2022.
- Rajiv Guaba was appointed to the post of Cabinet Secretary in 2019. He is a Jharkhand care IAS officer of 1982 batch.
- Previously, he has also served as Secretary in various Ministries like Home Affairs & Urban Affairs and Housing.
- He is known for his immense contribution in the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganization Act, 2019.
Cabinet Secretary (CS)
Cabinet secretary is the senior most cadre of the Indian Administrative Service (IAS). It is ranked 11th in the order of precedence. A Cabinet Secretary works under direct charge of the Prime Minister.
- CS is responsible for the smooth functioning of administration of the Government of India (Transaction of Business) Rules, 1961 and Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules 1961.
- Informing the President, Vice-president and Minister about the major activities of the department.
- The maximum term length of a CS is 4 years.
1st Cabinet Secretary: N R Pillai (1950-1953)
1st Women Cabinet Secretary: S S Grewal (1980-81)
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Virendra Kumar Launched ‘PM-DAKSH’ Portal and Mobile AppVirendra Kumar, the Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment has launched a ‘PM-DAKSH’ Portal and ‘PM-DAKSH’ Mobile App under the scheme PM-DAKSH (Pradhan Mantri Dakshta Aur Kushalta Sampann Hitgrahi) Yojana to ease the access of skill development schemes by the target groups.
- The portal and app were developed by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MoSJ&E), in collaboration with National e-Governance Division (NeGD).
- PM-DAKSH Yojana is the National Action Plan launched by the MoSJ&E in 2020-21 for skilling the target group.
‘PM-DAKSH’ Portal: The portal will have all information related to skill development for the target groups and provide direct access for them to register under the portal with the training institute and program of their own interest.
>>Read Full News
Part-II: Overview of Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics The 32nd Edition of Olympic Games took place in Tokyo, Japan from 23rd July, 2021 – 8th August, 2021.
- India finished with 7 Medals (1 Gold, 2 Silver, 4 Bronze) and has been ranked at 48th Position. This was India’s highest ever medals tally in an Olympics(Previous one was 6 medals at the 2012 London Olympics)
- The US topped the Medals tally with 113 Medals (39 G, 41 S, 33 B) followed by China & Japan.
Overall Medals Tally of India:
|Neeraj Chopra||Athletics||Men’s javelin throw||Gold|
|Saikhom Mirabai Chanu||Weightlifting||Women’s 49 kg||Silver|
|Ravi Kumar Dahiya||Wrestling||Men’s freestyle 57 kg||Silver|
|P. V. Sindhu||Badminton||Women’s singles||Bronze|
|Lovlina Borgohain||Boxing||Women’s WelterWeight (64-69kg||Bronze|
|India men’s national field hockey team (Captain -Manpreet Singh)||Field hockey||Men’s tournament||Bronze|
|Bajrang Punia||Wrestling||Men’s freestyle 65 kg||Bronze|
About International Olympic Committee (IOC):
President – Thomas Bach
Headquarters – Lausanne, Switzerland
>>Read Full News
Football: USMNT won CONCACAF Gold Cup 2021
The United States(US) men’s national team(USMNT) won the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup defeating Mexico 1-0 during the finals held at Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas, Nevada, US.
The 2021 championship marks the 7th Gold Cup Title of the US. The 2021 CONCACAF Gold cup was the 16th edition of the biennial international men’s football championship of the North, Central American, and Caribbean regions organized by CONCACAF.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
‘A Death in Shonagachhi: A Novel’ the Debut Book of Rijula Das A Death in Shonagachhi, the debut novel a murder mystery authored by Rijula Das features a murder of a prostitute in Shonagachhi, a red-light district in Calcutta. The book is published by Picador India, an imprint at Pan Macmillan India.
The World English rights outside India are sold to Amazon Crossing, for publication in June 2022 with the title “Small Deaths”.
About Rijula Das:
i.Rijula Das is a short story author from West Bengal based in Wellington, New Zealand.
ii.She has taught writing at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
iii.She has won the 2019 Michael King Writers Centre Residency in Auckland and the 2016 Dastaan Award for her short story ‘Notes From A Passing’.
iv.Her translation of Bhattacharya’s novel ‘Kangal Malshat’ is set to be published by Seagull Books in 2022.
- Notes From A Passing (2016)
- My Friend Finjo (2019)
- Grave of the Heart Eater (2019)
Quit India Movement Day 2021 – August 8 The Quit India Movement Day is annually observed across India on 8th August to commemorate the launch of the Quit India Movement on 8th August 1942. The day remembers the sacrifices of the martyrs of the freedom struggle and pays homage to the freedom fighters.
The 8th August 2021 marks the 79th anniversary of the Quit India movement.
The day is also known as August Kranti Diwas or India August Movement since the movement was held in August.
- National Archives of India, under the Ministry of Culture, is organizing an exhibition on the Quit India Movement as part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav being celebrated to mark 75 years of Independence.
About National Archives of India:
Director-General– Chandan Sinha
Headquarters– New Delhi
>>Read Full News
International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples 2021 – August 9 The United Nations (UN)’s International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples is annually observed across the globe on 9th August to recognise the contributions and achievements of the indigenous people across the globe, who have a vast diversity of unique cultures, traditions, languages and knowledge systems.
The day aims to promote and protect the rights of the world’s indigenous population.
The day is also known as “World Tribal Day”.
The theme of International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples 2021 is “Leaving No One Behind: Indigenous peoples and the call for a new social contract”.
i.The United Nations General Assembly(UNGA) adopted the resolution A/RES/49/214 on 23 December 1994 and proclaimed the 9th August of every year as the International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples.
ii.The first International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples was observed on 9th August 1995.
Why August 9?
The day marks the first meeting of the UN Working Group on Indigenous Populations (WGIP) of the Sub-Commission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights in 1982 in Geneva, Switzerland.
>>Read Full News
Nagasaki Day 2021 – August 9 Nagasaki Day is annually observed across the globe on 9th August to create awareness about the hazards of nuclear power and to promote world peace. The day also remembers the atomic bomb victims of Nagasaki.
The 9th August 2021 marks the 76th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Nagasaki, a city on the island of Kyushu in Japan.
9th August marks the day on which the United States of America(USA) dropped the 2nd Plutonium bomb codenamed “Fat Man” on Nagasaki, on the island of Kyushu in Japan, the bomb was dropped 3 days after the first bomb “Little boy” was dropped on Hiroshima.
- The atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki are the only recorded use of nuclear weapons in armed conflict.
Gujarat Govt Launched eNagar Mobile app & Portal Vijay Rupani, Chief Minister(CM) of Gujarat launched ‘eNagar’ mobile application and portal which covers 10 modules offering 52 services. The eNagar project aims to have efficient, transparent and scalable online citizen-centric services and a back-office operation support system.
- The Urban Development and Urban Housing Department has appointed Gujarat Development Mission as the nodal agency of the eNagar Project.
i.The 10 modules offered in the portal are, Property Tax; Professional Tax; Water & Drainage; Complaint Module / Grievance redressal; Building Permission; Fire & Emergency Services; Registration of Marriage; Land & Estate Management; License module; and Hall Booking
ii.The project covers a total of 170 locations which includes 162 municipalities and 8 Municipal Corporations.
Objectives of eNagar:
i.To unite all the Urban Local Bodies(ULBs) on a common platform concerning e-governance and m-governance.
ii.To ensure that all Government services are accessible to the general public in their locality through common service delivery outlets.
iii.To standardise e-Governance solutions across various ULBs on interoperable technology platforms with compatibility for forward and backward integration.
Governor– Acharya Devvrat
National Park– Gir National Park; Blackbuck National Park; Marine National Park
Wildlife Sanctuary– Purna Wildlife Sanctuary; Barda Hills Wildlife Sanctuary
Karnataka Became 1st State to Issue Order for Implementing NEP 2020 On August 8, 2021, the Karnataka government issued an order for the implementation of the National Education Policy (NEP) – 2020 from the current academic year 2021-2022.
- Through this, Karnataka has become the 1st state in India to issue an order on the implementation of NEP-2020.
About NEP -2020:
i.It is the 1st education policy of the 21st century launched by Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi on 29th July 2020 by replacing the National Policy on Education, 1986 (NPE, 1986).
- It proposes to increase the investment in education to reach 6 percent of total Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
- The 5 pillars of the policy include Access, Equity, Quality, Affordability and Accountability
ii.In July 2020, PM launched different initiatives such as Vidya Pravesh, SAFAL (Structured Assessment for Analysing Learning), NISHTHA 2.0 (National Initiative for School Heads’ and Teachers’ holistic Advancement) to mark the 1st Anniversary of the NEP 2020. Click here to know more
iii.NEP aims to increase the Gross Enrollment Ratio in higher education from 26.8 percent in 2018 to 50 percent by 2035 will bring in sweeping reforms in the area of education.
Benefits under NEF for Karnataka:
i.Once implemented the National Skills Qualification Framework will become part of the state’s graduation programme and they could get a maximum of 40 percent credits through official online courses and 50 percent credits from any University.
iii.They have the option to discontinue and integrate courses after a specific period. A single regulator will oversee higher education in the country.
Governor – Thawar Chand Gehlot
National Park – Kudremukh National Park, Nagarhole National Park, Anshi National Park
Wildlife Sanctuary – Arabithittu Wildlife Sanctuary, Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary, Brahmagiri Wildlife Sanctuary
Vandana Kataria appointed as Ambassador of Uttarakhand’s Women Empowerment & Child Development DepartmentUttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami appointed Indian Women’s Team Hockey Player Vandana Kataria as the Brand Ambassador of the State’s Department of Women Empowerment & Child Development.
- The Uttarakhand Government had also announced a cash reward of INR 25 Lakh to Vandana Kataria for her performance at the Tokyo Olympics.
- During the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Vandana became the 1st Indian Woman to score an Olympic hat-trick in hockey.
Governor – Baby Rani Maurya
National Park (NP) – Nanda Devi, Rajaji, Valley of Flowers
Wildlife Sanctuary (WLS) – Kedarnath, Mussoorie
KFC Announced ‘KFC Startup Kerala’, a Funding Scheme for StartupsKerala Financial Corporation(KFC), a non-banking financial company owned by the Government of Kerala has announced a comprehensive funding scheme named “KFC Startup Kerala” to support the startups in all the stages of the development.This is the first-of-its-kind scheme where all stages of startups are considered.
About KFC Startup Kerala:
i.The KFC Startup Kerala scheme will assist the startups in various stages of growth from proof of concept, prototype development, product trials, market-entry, commercialization.
ii.The assistance to set up workshops, purchase of necessary machinery, servers, software, infrastructure, purchase of raw materials, working funds and capital, market expenses, and others will be provided through the scheme.
Eligibility to get assistance:
i.Registered with Kerala Startup Mission or The Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP) and has a registered office in Kerala.
ii.At least 51% of the shares of the startup should be held by Indian promoters.
iii.A startup should use technology in core product or service
Upper Loan Limit for Each stage:
- Productisation- Rs.25 lakh
- Commercialization- Rs.50 lakh
- Scaling up- Rs.100 lakh
This will be subject to 90% of the project cost in each stage.
Mode of Repayment:
The maximum repayment period will be 60 months which includes the moratorium period of maximum 12 months.
i.The startups with firm purchase orders are eligible to get loans up to Rs 10 crore for executing orders.
ii.After the due diligence by venture capital fund registered with SEBI, the startups can get a venture debt of Rs 10 Crore.
Click here to know more about KFC Startup Kerala
About Kerala Financial Corporation(KFC):
KFC was established as the Travancore Cochin Financial Corporation in December 1953 and renamed as Kerala Financial Corporation in 1956.
Chairman & MD– Sanjay Kaul
Headquarters– Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 10 August 2021|
|1||Naval Exercise “Zayed Talwar 2021” held between India and UAE|
|2||Venkaiah Naidu Released Postage Stamp on Social Worker ‘Mananiya Chaman Lal’|
|3||South Africa becomes 1st Country to grant Patent for an Invention by AI|
|4||IPCC’s AR6 Climate Change 2021 Report: UN Reported ‘Code Red’ Warning|
|5||CBoI made Co-Lending Partnership with DFL to Offer Gold Loans|
|6||SEBI Amended LODR Regulations; Set Norms for Independent Directors|
|7||ACC Approves Extension of Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Guaba’s Tenure|
|8||Virendra Kumar Launched ‘PM-DAKSH’ Portal and Mobile App|
|9||Part-II: Overview of Ongoing Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics|
|10||Football: USMNT won CONCACAF Gold Cup 2021|
|11||‘A Death in Shonagachhi: A Novel’ the Debut Book of Rijula Das|
|12||Quit India Movement Day 2021 – August 8|
|13||International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples 2021 – August 9|
|14||Nagasaki Day 2021 – August 9|
|15||Gujarat Govt Launched eNagar Mobile app & Portal|
|16||Karnataka Became 1st State to Issue Order for Implementing NEP 2020|
|17||Hockey Player Vandana Kataria appointed as Ambassador of Uttarakhand’s Women & Child Development Department|
|18||KFC Announced ‘KFC Startup Kerala’, a Funding Scheme for Startups|