Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Word Usage, which is BASED ON SOME NEW PATTERNS which have been asked in many banking exams recently.
Directions : For each of the words below, a contextual usage is provided. Pick the word/phrase from the alternatives that is most the appropriate substitute in the given context and mark its number as your answer.
- Tedious: the work was tedious and physically demanding.
Answer – 2) boring
Explanation:tedious: too long, slow, or dull; tiresome or monotonous..
- Ordinance: the president issued a series of ordinances in 1944.
Answer – 5) law
Explanation:ordinance: an authoritative order.
- Relevant: what small companies need is relevant advice.
Answer – 4) applicable
Explanation:Relevant : closely connected or appropriate to what is being done or considered..
- Detention : the fifteen people arrested were still in police detention.
Answer – 4) restraint
Explanation: Detention : the action of detaining someone or the state of being detained in official custody.
- Dismal: The show was a dismal failure
Answer – 3) dingy
Explanation: Dismal: causing a mood of gloom or depression.
- Enactments : the enactment of equal pay legislation.
Answer – 2) ratification
Explanation:Enactments : the process of passing legislation.
- Redundant : many churches have become redundant over the last twenty years.
5) calculableAnswer – 2)inessential
Explanation: Redundant : not or no longer needed or useful; superfluous.
- Overhaul : the steering box was recently overhauled.
Answer – 2) service
Explanation: Overhaul : take apart (a piece of machinery or equipment) in order to examine it and repair it if necessary.
- Provisions: the President condemned the provision of weapons to guerrillas.
Answer – 2) supply
Explanation:provisions: the action of providing or supplying something for use.
- Obsolete : this remarkable aircraft will render all other fighters obsolete.
Answer – 2) outdated
Explanation: obsolete: no longer produced or used; out of date.