The central government has formed a 5 member committee to oversee the construction of the new Parliament house. The committee will also ensure that the design elements are followed and the heritage character of the old Parliament building is maintained.
- After the request from Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla, the committee is being formed
i.The committee will comprise joint secretaries from the Lok Sabha Secretariat, CPWD(Central Public Works Department), and the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs(MoHUA).
ii.Along with them, there will be representation from Tata Projects and HCP.
About the New Parliament Building Project:
- The construction of a new Parliament is a part of redevelopment of the entire 3-km Central Vista from Rashtrapati Bhavan till India Gate.
- It was proposed by the Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry.
- CPWD is the nodal agency of the construction.
It is constructed under the Central Vista redevelopment project.
Estimated Cost, Consultant and Constructed by
- The estimated cost of the project is around Rs 971 crore.
- Tata Projects Limited will construct the new parliament at a cost of Rs 861.90 crore.
- HCP is the design consultant of the project.
The construction is expected to be completed by November 2022.
The work will be monitored by Lok Sabha Secretariat, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC)and CPWD.
The committee will act as the bridge between the Lok Sabha Secretariat and private contractors.
Key Info about the New Building
i.The new parliament building, a triangular complex will be built on approximately 60,000 metre square.
ii.It will be situated at Plot No.118, New Delhi, India
iii.The new parliament design will accommodate 120 offices.
iv.It has 6 separate entrances for members of the public, MPs and VIPs, including the Speaker and the vice president.
v.It house larger chambers for the Rajya Sabha and the Lok Sabha
vi.The central foyer will have a Constitution Hall that displays an original copy of the Constitution for public viewing.
vii.Near the central foyer a library will also come up. The public gallery will seat more than 336 persons.
- In 2010 a proposal was introduced to revamp Central Vista and re-build or relocate a number of administrative buildings.
- The Govt in October 2019, selected HCP Design to design the new Parliament and redevelop the area around the Central Vista.
About Existing Indian Parliament Building:
- The building is a British era building.
- It was designed by Edwin Lutyens and Herbert Baker who were responsible for planning and construction of New Delhi.’
- Foundation Stone was laid on February 12, 1921 and the construction of the building cost Rs 83 lakh.
- The then Governor-General of India, Lord Irwin performed the opening ceremony on January 18, 1927.
Recent Related News:
i.Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ Union Minister of Education informed K. Somaprasad, Member of Parliament(MP) in Rajya Sabha, that All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has constituted a Committee to Prepare the Professional Engineers Bill. The committee is chaired by M.S. Ananth, Former Director of Indian Institute of Technology Madras(IIT-M).
ii.On October 14, 2020, the Central Government has formulated a panel of secretaries under cabinet secretary Rajiv Gauba to streamline telecom spectrum allocation process and examine the possibility of making the auction of spectrum an annual calendar event.