BRICS nations have agreed for co-investment of resources for supporting multilateral Research and Development (R&D) Projects in mutually agreed areas signed by Union Minister for Science and Technology and Earth Sciences Harsh Vardhan at third meeting of the BRICS Ministers for Science, Technology and Innovation held in Moscow on October 28.
BRICS STI Minister agreed on the collaboration for
- Cooperation within large research infrastructures, including mega-science projects.
- Coordination of the existing large-scale national programme of the BRICS countries
- Development and implementation of a BRICS framework programme for funding multilateral joint research projects, technology commercialisation and innovation.
- Establishment of BRICS Research and Innovation Networking Platform.
BRICS Action Plan 2015-18 :
- Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Disasters led by Brazil.
- Water resources and pollution treatment led by Russia
- Geospatial technology and its application for development led by India.
- New and renewable energy, and energy efficiency with focus on Solid-state lightning led by China.
Key points :
- BRICS nations : Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa
- BRICS Headquarters : Shanghai, China.
- BRICS President : V. Kamath