On 29th august ,2017, BRICS Innovative Competitive Report 2017 was released by China Science and Technology Exchange Centre. The report says India is expected to surpass China in innovation competitiveness between 2025-2030. At present, China is the leading BRICS nation in innovation competitiveness. The report is a huge confidence booster for Indian government’s efforts at improving the innovation environment in the recent years.
- The report predicts that growth rate of Russia would also fall in coming years and India would take over Russia in terms of its comprehensive STI (Science Technology and Innovation) competitiveness by 2030.
- BRICS countries have evolved as leading centres of Science and Technology development among developing countries. These countries- Brazil, Russia, China, India and South Africa – have also become a “globally important STI force”
- The report calls for an international collaboration among BRICS countries.
About BRICS: –
- The BRICS members are all leading developing or newly industrialized countries, but they are distinguished by their large, sometimes fast-growing economies and significant influence on regional affairs.
- South Africa was inducted in this group in 2010.
- 2016 BRICS summit was held at Goa.
- 2017 BRICS summit will take place at Xiamen,China on 3-5 September 2017.