In accordance with the Hurun Report 2016, India introduces 27 new billionaires, thereby sat at 3rd position in the list of billionaires, raising the number to 111. The Hurun Global Rich List 2016 ranked 2,188 billionaires from 68 countries.
- India ranked behind China which stood as chart lead with 568 billionaires and United States which positioned at 2nd with 535 billionaires.
In a comparison with last year, combined wealth of India’s billionaires upgraded with 25% to Rs 211 lakh crore.
Other Highlights of report:
- The manufacturing, pharmaceuticals and technology sectors produced 22, 20 and 15 billionaires, respectively.
- Mumbai remained the headquarters of most Indian billionaires.
- The richest Indians list topped by Mukesh Ambani with a wealth of $26 billion, followed by Sun Pharma’s Dilip Shanghvi ($18 billion) and Pallonji Mistry ($13 billion) at number three.
- Founders of e-commerce giant Flipkart, Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal also made their name in the list.
The total wealth increased by 9% to $7.3 trillion which is more than the gross domestic product of Germany and the UK combined and close to half of the US.
About Hurun Global Rich List
Established in 1999 by Rupert Hoogewerf, also known by his Chinese name Hu Run, born in 1970 in Luxembourg, is the publisher of the Hurun Report, a monthly magazine.
- He is a qualified chartered accountant, graduated in Chinese and Japanese from Durham University, UK in 1993 and went to Eton College.