On May 31, 2019, Asian Development Bank(ADB) approved $350 million loan to rehabilitate and upgrade two state highways and 23 major district roads totaling about 850 kilometers in Chhattisgarh. It will improve the connectivity and access to basic services and livelihood opportunities in the state.
- The total cost of the project is $521.69 million. The state government will provide $171.69 million.
- Chhattisgarh, rich in natural resources, is the largest producer of minerals like coal and iron ore.
- As per the data of 2011 census, poverty levels in the state were at 38% of the population.
- The number of registered vehicles have doubled from 2.1 million in 2009 to 4.8 million in 2016.
- Earlier, ADB had extended loan amount of $180 million for 1,700 km state highways (Closed in 2012) and $300 million, granted in 2012, covered additional 916 km state highways.
- The project is estimated to complete in mid-2024.
♦ Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Manila, Philippines
♦ President: Takehiko Nakao
♦ Founded: 19 December 1966
♦ Membership: 68 countries