The Medical and Health Department of Rajasthan was conferred with the World Health Organization’s (WHO) Tobacco Control Award for 2019 in recognition of its achievements in the field of tobacco control. It was presented on the occasion of World No Tobacco Day(WNTD) celebrated on May 31, 2019 in an event held in New Delhi.
- It was received by Rohit Kumar Singh, Additional Chief Secretary, Medical and Health Department of Rajasthan.
- It was the only government body in country to receive the award for its tobacco-free initiatives.
- WHO had selected 33 institutions and individuals across world for this award. It included 5 organizations from the South-East Asian (SEA) region namely India, Thailand and Indonesia. The 2 institutes selected from India (in SEA region) were Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute, New Delhi and Rajasthan’s Health Department.
- Rajasthan Government had launched various initiatives against tobacco consumption. Health Department with the help of other departments had developed tobacco-free premises near anganwadi centres, educational institutions and health facilities to ensure that no tobacco product was sold within 100 yards of these places.
- As a part of the initiative, on January 30, 2019 which is celebrated as Martyrs’ Day or Sarvodaya Day, 1.13 crore people took pledge against tobacco consumption at events held in 1.56 lakh government institutions.
♦ Capital: Jaipur
♦ Chief Minister: Ashok Gehlot
♦ Governor: Kalyan Singh
♦ National Parks: Mukundra Hills (Darrah) National Park, Desert National Park, Keoladeo Ghana National Park, Ranthambhore National Park, Sariska National Park
♦ Wildlife Sanctuaries: Mount Abu WLS, Nahargarh WLS, Kesarbagh WLS, Sariska WLS, Van Vihar WLS, Sawai Man Singh WLS etc