The ninth BRCIS Summit is held from 3-5 September, 2017 in Xiamen, China. The participating countries are the five member nations – Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. The summit is hosted by China for the second time after the 2011 Summit.
- BRICS is made up of China, Brazil, Russia, India and South Africa.
- The first BRIC Summit was held in Yekaterinburg, Russia. Since then, the Summit has become an annual event. Till date, eight summits have been held.
- 3. In December 2010, China, as the Chair,invited South Africa to join BRIC and attend the Summit in Sanya, China. BRIC expanded to include 5 countries and the acronym changed into BRICS.
- BRICS has become an important platform for cooperation among emerging markets and developing countries.
Logo and Theme of 2017 BRICS Summit:
- The theme of the 2017 BRICS Summit is“BRICS: Stronger Partnership for a Brighter Future”.
- Thelogoof the 2017 BRICS Summit resembles both full sails and a rotating earth, painted in 5 colors representing the 5 BRICS countries. The symbolism is two-fold: BRICS countries breaking the waves in the same boat towards a brighter future; and BRICS playing an important role in the global political and economic affairs. The Logo brings out the theme of the Summit “BRICS: Stronger Partnership for a Brighter Future”, and brims with the distinct marine culture of the host city Xiamen.
At the bottom are the English words BRICS 2017 CHINA and a red seal reading China, highlighting China’s BRICS Chairmanship for 2017. The seal is engraved in Big Seal Script or Dazhuan, an ancient Chinese calligraphic style, giving the logo a specific touch of the traditional Chinese culture.
Expectations of 2017 BRICS Summit Outlined by Mr.Xi Jinping (President of China):
- Deepen BRICS cooperation for common development
- Enhance global governance to jointly meet challenges
- Carry out people-to-people exchanges to support BRICS cooperation
- Make institutional improvements and build broader partnerships
China announced $80 million funding plan for BRICS:
On 4thSeptember, 2017 Chinese President Xi JinPing announced that China will give 500 million yuan ($76.4 million) for BRICS economic and technology cooperation plan, and another $4 million for projects at the BRICS countries’ New Development Bank.
Implement 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development; Building Broader Partnerships for Development” –PM Modi:
On 5th September 2017, Indian Prime Minister Mr.Narendra Modi suggested the following ten Noble Commitments tomake a better world:
1.Creating a Safer World: by organized and coordinated action on at least three issues: Counter Terrorism, Cyber Security and Disaster Management.
2.Creating a Greener World: by taking concerted action on countering Climate Change, through initiatives such as the International Solar Alliance.
3. Creating an Enabled World: by sharing and deploying suitable technologies to enhance efficiency, economy and effectiveness.
4. Creating an Inclusive World: by economic mainstreaming of our people including in the banking and financial system.
5. Creating a Digital World: by bridging the digital divide within and outside our economies.
6. Creating a Skilled World: by giving future-ready skills to millions of our youth.
7. Creating a Healthier World: by cooperating in research and development to eradicate diseases, and enabling affordable healthcare for all.
8. Creating an Equitable World: by providing equality of opportunity to all, particularly through gender equality.
9. Creating a Connected World: by enabling free flow of goods, persons and services.
10. Creating a Harmonious World: by promoting ideologies, practices, and heritage that are centered on peaceful coexistence and living in harmony with nature.
BRICS leaders sign four agreements on mutual cooperation:
On 4th September 2017, leaders of the BRICS countries signed four agreements on mutual cooperation. They are as follows:
- BRICS Action Agenda on Economic and Trade Cooperation
- BRICS Action Plan for Innovation Co-operation (2017-2020)
- Strategic Framework of BRICS Customs Cooperation
- Memorandum of Understanding between the BRICS Business Council and the New Development Bank on Strategic Cooperation
Other Static Information:
- The President of Brazil is Mr.Michel Temer.
- The President of Russia is Mr.Vladimir Putin.
- The Prime Minister of India is Mr. Narendra Modi.
- The President of China is Mr.Xi Jinping.
- The President of South Africa is Mr. Jacob Zuma.