On Thursday 28th May 2015, at the Amba Vilas Palace in Mysuru, Yaduveer Raj Urs was crowned as the new” Maharaja of Mysuru’‘. The enthronement was private affair but symbolic of continuing the family tradition of Wadiyars. It was devoid of anything consequent to the abolition of institution of the maharajas and the Privy Purse after independence.
- Large number of well wishers including royal family members,senior political leaders and other important people of Bengaluru and Mysuru attended the coronation.
- Such large people present showed the contributions made by Wadiyars in the development of Mysuru and public affection towards them.
- The coronation was held at a kalyana mandapa at Amba Vilas Palace that was decked up for the function.
- Wadiyar dressed in traditional attire, was escorted by priests and palace officials at9:05 am, to the main courtyard.
- Priests conducted elaborate rituals and Yaduveer walked around the silver throne ofBhadrasana thrice then later he ascended the throne at 9:40 am.
- Wadiyar was decorated withtraditional headgear on which golden ”patta” inscribed with the history of Wadiyars or the Yaduvamsha in sanskrit, a caving of god Chamundehswari and decorated with slokas of Bhagavad Gita.
- Wadiyar is a 23 year old graduate from the University of Masachusetts,USA.
- After his coronation, he was rechristened with full title name of ”Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamraja Wadiyar”.
- He also became conservator of 1500 acres of lands and palaces of Wadiyar dynasty in Karnataka.
- Yaduveer Raj succeeds his uncle Srikantadatta Wadiyar who died in december 2013.
- Srikantadatta was the last hereditary heir Wadiyar dynasty and was childless.
- After the death of Srikantadatta, his wife Pramadadevi Wadiyar adopted Yaduveer Raj as heir of Wadiyar dynasty.
- Wadiyar dynasty was an Indian Hindu dynasty, who ruled Kingdom of erstwhile Mysuru from 1399 to 1947.
- Dynasty was established by Yaduraya Wadeyar in 1399 and he ruled Mysore till 1423 under Vijayanagara Empire.
- The kingdom was succeeded by many Wadiyar rulers after Yaduraya, including Wadiyars of Vijaya’s dynasty belonging to Arasu Wadiyar community of Karnataka.
- Jaya Chamaraja Wadiyar was the last ruler from 1940 to 1947 and after the independence in 1947, this kingdom was included into the territory of India.
- 26th Constitutional Amendment Act 1971 scrapped this rulership with privy purses and privileges.
Privy Purse– what it means??
- It is payment given to royal families of princely states as part of their agreement first to integrate with India in 1947 and to merge their states in 1949 after losing all ruling rights.
- For the 565 princely states the Privy Purses ranged from 5000 per annum to millions.
- Some Princely states examples are Hyderabad, Mysore,Baroda,Jaipur,Patiala Travancore etc.