On Monday 25th May 2015, Power secretary Mr Pradeep Kumar Sinha, was appointed by the government as the next Cabinet Secretary. He would be succeeding Mr Ajith Singh, who was holding the post for the last four years. According to an official release, Pradeep Sinha a 1977 batch IAS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre has been asked to take over as officer on special duty OSD in Cabinet secretariat .
- Pradeep Sinha would take over the new charge on 13th June 2015 as per the official release .
- Indian PM Mr Narendra Modi, has approved the appointment of Mr Sinha as the next Cabinet secretary from June 13th.
- Since July 2013 . Mr Pradeep Sinha has been serving as power secretary.
- Mr Sinha held several positions in Union government and in his cadre state Uttar Pradesh apart from the services he rendered as shipping secretary.
- Mr Seth,a 1974 batch IAS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre, took over as Cabinet Secretary on June 14th 2011 with a tenure of two years till June 13th 2013.
- The UPA government extended his tenure by a year.. The present BJP led NDA government had given 6 month extension to Seth in June and then a third extension in December 2014.
- Prime Minister directly controls the entire Cabinet secretariat.
- The administrative head of secretariat is the Cabinet secretary who also is an ex-officio chairman of civil services board.
- Cabinet secretariat helps in making decisions by ensuring coordination between ministers, removing the differences amongst ministries.
About Cabinet Secretary
- Cabinet Secretary is the senior most civil servant in the Indian government.
- He is the ex-officio chairman of the civil services board.
- Cabinet secretary directly reports to the Prime Minister
- Formed in the year 1950 .
- Its inaugural holder is Mr NC Pillai.
- Some functions of CS are providing assistance to ministers,handle senior appointemtents,prepare agenda of the cabinet, advisor to PM etc.
Officer on special duty OSD
- OSD is an officer that is considered between Secretary and Under Secretary.
- He is a IAS officer on central deputation.
- British colonial rule in india even had this post.
- Two major criteria in appointing OSD are economic benefit to the government that OSD brings and also when there is an obligation on government to take action for the benefit of larger good.