World Vegan Day is annually observed by vegans across the globe on November 1st to encourage people to follow a vegan lifestyle which is beneficial to one’s health as well as good for the environment.
- The day is celebrated to create awareness about the benefits of consuming a plant-based diet.
- November 1st also marks the formation of the Vegan Society in the United Kingdom(UK).
i.On 1st November 1994, Louise Wallis, the chair of The Vegan Society, UK, established the observance of World Vegan Day.
ii.World Vegan Day was established to mark the golden jubilee of the establishment of the Vegan Society, UK.
The Vegan Society(UK):
i.The Vegan Society was formed on 1st November 1944.
ii.The word vegan was coined by Donald Watson, which was chosen by combining the first and last letters of “vegetarian.”
What is Veganism?
i.Veganism is the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products, especially in the diet.
ii.Veganism is defined as a way of living that attempts to exclude all forms of animal exploitation and cruelty, be it from food, clothing, or any other purpose.
i.The individual who follows the diet or philosophy of veganism is known as a vegan.
ii.Vegans avoid animal products for ethical, health, or environmental reasons or a combination of these three.
- Ethical vegans: people who believe that all creatures have the right to life and freedom.
- Health: people who chose veganism for the potential health benefits.
- Environment: people who choose to avoid animal products due to the impact of animal agriculture on the environment.