Bhagwanth Khuba, the Minister of State (MoS) for New and Renewable Energy, Chemicals and Fertilizers inaugurated the 1st International Conference on Hydrogen Energy – Policies, Infrastructure Development and Challenges in New Delhi, Delhi.
- The event was organised by Central Board of Irrigation and Power (CBIP) on 24th -25th November 2021 with the support of Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE), Central Electricity Authority, and NTPC (formerly known as National Thermal Power Corporation Limited).
- The conference discussed about future challenges for Hydrogen Energy to find solutions for production of Hydrogen Energy to reduce the cost of production for eletrolysers.
i.The conference was formed to move a step ahead towards achieving the following 5 ambitious targets for India, which were set by the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi in the 26th Conference of Parties (COP26) of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) which was held in Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom (UK).
ii.The 5 ambitious targets set for India to combat climate change:
- To increase India’s non-fossil capacity to 500 gigawatt by 2030
- To fulfil 50 percent of India’s energy requirements with renewable energy by 2030
- To reduce 1 billion tonnes of the total projected carbon emission between 2021 and 2030
- To reduce the Indian economy’s carbon intensity to less than 45% by 2030
- To achieve the target of net zero emissions by 2070
iii.All aspects of the Hydrogen Policy, Road Map for adoption, Technologies, Applications, Issues & Challenges, and Research & Innovations, are deliberated during the Conference.
iv.Around 200 participants from 60 organizations from India and 3 international experts from Germany, Japan, and Sweden have participated in the Conference.
v.The conference has highlighted the vast developments that have taken place in India over the last few years in the field of Hydrogen.
vi.The conference has been sponsored by NHPC Ltd., SJVNL (Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam) as Platinum Sponsor and by POWERGRID (Power Grid Corporation of India Limited) and THDC India Ltd. as Silver Sponsors.
vii.Participants: Gurdeep Singh, CMD (Chairman and Managing Director), NTPC, KVS Baba, CMD, POSOCO (Power System Operation Corporation), G B Patel, Director, CPIB (Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau) have participated in the conference.
- The conference involves experts from MNRE; DST, CEA, SECI; IOCL; NTPC; BARC, TCE; Reliance Industries; Steel Industry; Leading Academic Institutions, State Power Organization; Consultants, experts from Private sector organizations; Speakers from Germany ; Japan and Sweden for the conference.
Recent Related News:
A webinar was held on the occasion of World Biofuel Day i.e. on August 10, 2021 where ‘Organic Waste Streams for Industrial Renewable Energy Applications in India’, a GEF-MNRE-UNIDO project, launched its financial scheme and GIS (Geographic Information System) Waste Mapping tool.
About Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE):
Union Minister – Raj Kumar Singh (Constituency – Arrah, Bihar)
Minister of State – Bhagwanth Khuba (Constituency – Bidar, Karnataka)