The four-day-long World Ocean Science Congress (WOSC) has been concluded (February 5 to February 8) at Kerala. More than 450 technical papers were presented in 13 sessions by 86 Indian institutions and 14 foreign institutions. At the WOSC, scientists, oceanographers and marine experts urged the NDA Government to form a separate ministry that would bring together all agencies and institutions working in the fields of ocean research and fisheries research under one roof.
The theme for 2015 WOSC is Protect Oceans for Posterity.
Knowledge is Wealth
- World Oceans Day is observed on June 8.
- The Pacific Ocean is the largest and deepest of the world ocean basins.
- The Kerguelen Plateau – a large submerged continent in the southern part of the Indian Ocean.
- Some of the deep oceanic trenches (Pacific Ocean) are,
- Mariana Trench – 11,034 m
- Tonga Trench – 10,882 m
- Philippine Trench – 10,545 m