Kerala has achieved the maximum number of enrollment and registrations under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime when compared to other states of India.The state has recorded nearly 60 percent registration of an estimated 2.5 lakh traders in Kerala migrating to the new platform.
- As per the statistics by the taxation department of the state, the outstanding performance by the state is even more significant since the these registrations are complete in all respects, including the crucial provision of digital signatures
Deadline for Registration
The Commercial Taxes Department of Kerala has also given some relaxation to the migration and has extended the enrollment and registration dates till March 15 as to give easy time for traders to migrate in a proper manner who have not been able to do it until now.
- Propreitorship businesses have been provided the facility of E-sign using the Adhaar number to register without digital signatures. This facility is available on the GST portal (www.gst.gov.in).
Help Line Number
The department has set up help numbers 0471-155300 (BSNL) and 0471-2115098 (all other networks) for clarifying the doubts of traders with respect to registrations.
- Help desks have also been set up at all offices of the Deputy Commissioner (Commercial Taxes) in districts.
- All traders with concurrent registrations with the Kerala Value-Added Tax Information System (KVATIS) are expected to upload their individual and business details at the official website of the department www.keralataxes.gov.in with the username and password provided.
About Goods and Services Tax (GST)
Goods and Services Tax (GST) is a proposed system of indirect taxation in India merging most of the existing taxes into single system of taxation. GST would be a comprehensive indirect tax on manufacture, sale and consumption of goods and services throughout India, to replace taxes levied by the central and state governments.
About GST Registration
A business entity that is currently registered under any of the existing tax regimes is compulsorily required to enroll under GST law irrespective of the threshold limits.
- The tax regime includes Central Excise duty, Service Tax, State VAT, Central Sales Tax, Entry Tax (all forms), Luxury Tax, Entertainment and Amusement Tax (except when levied by the local bodies), Purchase Tax, State Surcharges and Cesses so far as they relate to supply of goods and services, Taxes on lotteries, betting and gambling.
- However, if the business is supplying goods and services but is not registered under any existing tax legislative then it will be liable to register only if the aggregate turnover in any financial year exceeds the threshold limit.
- The existing threshold limit specified by the GST council is 20 lakhs for all the states except for North Eastern States where the limit is 10 lakhs.
Benefits of GST Registration
Legally recognized as supplier of goods or services.
- Proper accounting of taxes paid on the input goods or services which can be utilized for payment of GST due on supply of goods or services or both by the business.
- Legally authorized to collect tax from his purchasers and pass on the credit of the taxes paid on the goods or services supplied to purchasers or recipients.