Every year on the first tuesday of the May month,World Asthma Day is celebrated all over the globe. The main purpose is to increase the awareness about this disease among the people. The May month is also known as Asthma Awareness Month.
GINA or Global Initiative for Asthma, organises this annual event to create awareness and promote ways to cure the disease around the world.
- Theme of GINA this year is ”You can control your Asthma” and the sub-theme would be ” its time to control your Asthma”.
- The main challenge of this disease is diagnosis of this disease, that affects the lungs.
- It has been predicted that by 2025, there will be 100 million cases more in asthma than that is present now which is about 235 million.
- Also it is said that the diagnosis of asthma in children is very tough as the symptoms are similar to other diseases that occurs in them.
- Stress induced asthmais now common in the children,software professionals etc.
- It is achronic inflammatory disease that affects the airways.
- Some causes for asthma are indoor allergens like house dust in beds, carpets etc, outside allergens, tobacco smoke,chemical irritants at work spots,air pollution,extreme emotional outbursts etc.
- Some of the symptoms of asthma are coughing,wheezing,chest tightness etc.
- Medications used to treat asthma fall into 2 categories namely quick relief ones and long term control ones.
- Quick relief comes from the use ofSalbutamol which are beta- adrenoceptor agonists, anticholinergic medications also provide good relief.
- Corticosteroids,salmeteroletc play effective relief in case of long term.
About GINA or Global Initiative for Asthma
- It is anmedical guidelines organisation that works with public health officials and health care professionals to reduce asthma prevalence,morbidity and deaths.
- It was formed in the year1993 as collaboration between WHO,National Institutes of Health, National Heart,Lung and Blood institute.
- Its an specialized agency of United Nations concerned with public health.
- Its headquarters is inGeneva,Switzerland.
- WHO was formed on7th April 1948.
- The current head isMargaret Chan.