Vietnam President Tran Dai Quang was on an official visit to India from 2nd – 4th March 2018.
- Tran Dai Quang visited India at the invitation of Indian President Ram Nath Kovind.
- Vietnam is an important pillar in India’s Act East Policy and is currently the country coordinator for India with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
India, Vietnam ink three MoUs on nuclear, economic and trade cooperation
On March 3, 2018, India and Vietnam signed following three Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs) after talks between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang.
- MoU between Global Centre for Nuclear Energy Partnership, India (GCNEP) and the Vietnam Atomic Energy Institute (VINATOM) to strengthen the technical cooperation in the field of atomic energy for peaceful purposes.
- MoU on economic and trade cooperation aimed at establishing a framework for enhancing economic and trade promotion.
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development of Vietnam signed a work plan for the years 2018-2022.
Vietnamese Prez inaugurates art exhibition
On March 3, 2018, President of Vietnam Tran Dai Quang inaugurated ‘Vietnam Days in India’ exhibition at the India International Centre in New Delhi, showcasing different forms of arts and culture of Vietnam.
- ‘Vietnam Days in India’ showcased traditional costumes and handicrafts of Vietnam.
- Photographs of landmark events in the bilateral relations between India and Vietnam were also displayed at this exhibition.
India, Vietnam to take steps to achieve USD 15 billion trade target
After the signing of above stated MoUs, a joint statement was issued mentioning that India and Vietnam will take concrete measure to achieve the bilateral trade target of USD 15 billion by 2020.
- In context of this news, it is to be noted that, for 2016-17, India-Vietnam trade stood at $6.24 billion.
- As per the joint statement, India and Vietnam have agreed to hold the next Meeting of the Joint Sub-Commission on Trade in Vietnam’s capital city Hanoi in 2018.
Quick Facts about Vietnam:
♦ Capital – Hanoi
♦ Currency – Vietnamese Dong
♦ Current President – Tran Dai Quang
♦ Important Rivers – Red River, Perfume River