In terms of military prowess, India has ranked 4th out of 133 countries on the Global Firepower (GFP) list 2017.
Details about Global Firepower List 2017:
Ranking in Global Firepower List is based on Country’s Power Index Score, which is arrived at by assessing the countries on 50 parameters.
- Available manpower is the most important parameter and thus countries with large population tend to rank higher.
- Geographical factors, natural resources, logistical efficiency and local industry also affect the final ranking.
- Although nuclear stockpiles are not taken into consideration, recognised/suspected nuclear weapons possession fetches a bonus.
- More importantly, ranking does not solely rely on number of weapons available, rather it focuses on weapons diversification.
- The ranking formula does not penalise landlocked nations for lack of navy. Besides, it allows smaller, though more technologically-advanced, nations to compete with larger, lesser-developed ones.
Global Firepower List 2017 – Highlights:
India at 4th rank, trails behind only US, Russia and China.
- India and China’s high rank can be largely attributed to a sizeable number of armed personnel, which is the most important ranking parameter.
- With 4207250 total armed personnel, India is ahead of China, which has 3712500 total armed personnel. However, China has 2260000 active troops as compared to India’s 1362500.
- Besides, in terms of defence budget allocation, China is much ahead of India. China’s defence budget allocation is over three times higher as compared to India.
- When compared with Pakistan (13th Rank), India is superior on all parameters except the number of attack helicopters, self-propelled artillery and waterway coverage.
Global Firepower List 2017:
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification