Shri M. Hamid Ansari, Vice President of India presented GUJAR MAL MODI AWARD 2015 to Prof. Mustansir Barma for his commendable contribution in the field of Science and Technology.
- The Gujar Mal Modi Science Foundation has announced the name of Professor Mustansir Barma as the recipient of this Award for the year 2015.
- Prof. Mustansir Barma, age 65, a distinguished Professor and former Director, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai has made immense contribution in the field of Statistical Physics in India.
- He has published numerous papers on the topic and is one of the best recognized names in the discipline internationally.
- He has contributed to the research and training in new areas of Science with the establishment of a new campus of TIFR in Hyderabad and he gave his support and encouragement to younger scientists in exploring new areas is commendable.
- He has been elected to the Fellowship of the Indian National Science Academy, the Indian Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Sciences, India and the Academy of Sciences of the Developing World (TWAS).
Awards and honours of Mustansir Barma:
• Young Scientist Award of the Indian National Science Academy (1980).
• Associate of the Indian Academy of Sciences (1983 – 86).
• Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for the Physical Sciences awarded by the CSIR (1995).
• Honorary faculty member, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientiﬁc Research, Bangalore (1998 – 2001).
• DAE Raja Ramanna Prize Lecture in Physics (2004).
• S.N. Bose Birth Centenary Award of the Indian Science Congress (2007).
• J.C. Bose Fellowship of the Department of Science and Technology (2007).
• Seventh Abdus Salam Memorial Lecture, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi (2009).
• R.S. Goyal Prize for Physics (2006), awarded in 2010.
• Padma Shri Award (2013).
• Gujar Mal Modi Award (2015).
Gujar Mal Modi Award:
• Gujar Mal Modi Innovative Science and Technology Award is among the highest cash awards in the country in the field of Science and Technology.
• The award was instituted in 1988 in the memory of the great industrialist of India, late Rai Bahadur Gujar Mal Modi of Modinagar.
• It is given each year to a person who has demonstrated the qualities of excellence and innovation through outstanding research and providing leadership in the development and promotion of Science and Technology in India.
The Award consists of:
• Cash prize of Rs 2.01 lakhs.
• A silver shield.
• A scroll of honour.