On September 3, 2020, the virtual US (United States)-India-Israel summit was held to focus on trilateral partnerships in the strategic, technology and development arenas. There it was decided that these trio nations will collaborate in 5G technology. The keynote address during the summit was provided by Ms. Bonnie Glick, Deputy Administrator USAID (United States Agency for International Development). The summit was also addressed by Israeli Ambassador to India Ron Malka and his counterpart Sanjeev Singla.
- This trilateral summit was initiated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his historic visit to Israel three years ago in July 2017, community leaders on the basis of tech-triangle (Silicon Valley-Tel Aviv and Bangalore) concept which was presented by M R (Madhavan) Rangaswami to PM Modi.
- Notably, Silicon Valley (US), Bengaluru (Karnataka, India) and Tel Aviv (Israel) are leading innovative technology hubs.
Israel is the 3rd largest defence supplier to India. It accounts to 40% of defence exports of Israel including Barack missiles, powerful Phalcon radar on Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS).
India and US have developed strong defence ties in the recent years. In 2018, India became the third country to receive clearance in purchasing license-free space and defence technology under Strategic Trade Authorisation.
- There is Defence Technology Trade Initiative (DTTI) between both nations to ease technology transfer and to explore possibilities in co-development.
- India and the United States also signed COMCASA (Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement) allowing both nations to share encrypted communication equipment.
- US designated India as STA-1. STA is Strategic Trade Authorization that allows country to buy advanced cutting edge technology from the US.
Recent Related News:
Experts from India and Israel have collaborated to develop rapid testing for COVID-19 in under 30 seconds by merging the technological expertise of Israel with Indian development and production capabilities. They have started to conduct trials at a special testing site at Dr Ram Manohar Lohiya (RML) Hospital on a large sample of patients for 4 different kinds of technologies namely, Voice test, Breath analyser test, Isothermal testing and Polyamino acid testing.
Currency– Israeli Shekel
About United States Agency for International Development (USAID):
Acting Administrator– John Barsa
Headquarter– Washington, D.C., United States (US)