UP Govt approved a policy for senior citizens recently under which it will establish old age homes for them. The Govt has also declared to raise monthly pension from Rs. 300 to Rs. 400.
- The policy will come into effect from 1 April 2016 and the social welfare department has been made the nodal agency for this new policy.
- The policy was formulated under which old age homes and juvenile homes would be set up under one roof
- The policy reserves 25 percent seats in these old age homes for the BPL families who will be provided free residence and food
- Any offence against senior citizen, like throwing them out of their houses by children, would be punishable for up to three years of jail and 10000 rupees fine
- A tribunal would be set to hear the cases related to the atrocities against the senior citizen
- The schools and colleges would be asked to celebrate Dada-dadi and nana-nani diwas on regular basis.
The Govt has also approved the Kanpur Metro Rail Project. The details of which are below:
- The project would cover 32 km through two corridors spanning over 31 stations, including 19 elevated and 12 underground ones
- The project, as on August 2015, is estimated to cost Rs 13,721