United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) has conferred Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri Kiren Rijiju with Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Champion for the Asia Region.
- Margarete Wahlstrom, Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary General for Disaster Risk Reduction presented the award during the inaugural session of the Asia Leaders’ Meeting towards Implementation of the Sendai Framework for DRR in Asia at New Delhi.
- Shri Rijiju is the first regional champion for DRR after the Sendai Agreement.
- He is also the first Indian to be conferred with this honour.
About Kiren Rijiju
He was born on 19 November 1971 in Nafra in West Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh in India. He has a graduate degree in Law from Campus Law Centre (DU). As a student he participated in the “Festival of India in USSR” held in Moscow in 1987.
Nickname – “voice of North East India”
- He is considered the face of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in North East India.
- He is in Narendra Modi’s best of 45 Cabinets’ list.
- He was elected as a member of the 14th and 16th Lok Sabha representing the constituency of Arunachal West in the Indian Parliament.
- He was made Union Minister of State for Home Affairs of India on 26 May 2014.