On June 27, 2020, Union HRD (Human Resource Development) Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ participated in group of 20 (G20) Extraordinary Virtual Education Ministers’ Meeting which was focused on the effects of the COVID 19 pandemic on the education sector. The meet discussed how different nations have dealt with it and how the Member States can collaborate to further the cause of education in these difficult times. Ramesh Pokhriyal also shared information about efforts of the HRD Ministry to promote digital learning during Covid-19 crisis which is as follows:
Initiatives by India
-Government is providing digital education Indian content on various platforms like DIKHSA, SWAYAM (Study Webs of Active-Learning for Young Aspiring Minds), Virtual labs, e-PG Pathshala and National Digital Library, among others.
-For the students who do not have access to digital means of education, govt is extensively using TV channels SWAYAM PRABHA, a group of 34 DTH channels, and Radio including Community Radio.
-The HRD ministry also going to launch Prime Minister eVIDYA programme which include:
- One Nation One Digital Platform– All educational e-resources will be brought on one platform under the concept of One Nation One Digital Program, with easy navigation through single integrated search.
- One Class One Channel– There will be one dedicated TV channel per grade for classes 1 to 12 to provide quality educational material. The PM eVidya programme is expected to benefit nearly 25 crore school children.
- Online Programmes in Universities- 100 top ranked universities in the country are soon going to start full-fledged Online programmes.
- SWAYAM MOOCS COURSES– SWAYAM MOOCS (Massive Online Open Courses) courses are being mapped with university curriculum and Higher Education Institutions are being encouraged to make it part of curriculum.
- Regional Languages– E-learning resources are being prepared in eight regional languages.
- DAISY– Study material for the differently abled is being developed on Digitally Accessible Information System (DAISY) and in sign language.
- MANODARPAN– Manodarpan is an initiative by the Education Ministry for psychosocial support of students, teachers and families for their mental health and emotional wellbeing. A National Helpline has been set up to provide counselling.
About G20 or Group of Twenty:
Members– Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Republic of Korea, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, United Kingdom (UK), United States (US), and European Union (EU). Spain is a permanent guest invitee to the G20 meetings.
Current Presidency– Saudi Arabia
2020 G20 Presidency theme– Realizing Opportunities of the 21st Century for All
Chairman– Saudi Arabian King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud (2020)