United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has inscribed Kumbh Mela (the mass Hindu pilgrimage of faith) on its Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
About Convention for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage:
Practices, expressions, representations, as well as skills and knowledge that communities, groups and, in some cases, individuals recognise as part of their cultural heritage are defined as intangible cultural heritage by UNESCO’s Convention for Safeguarding the Intangible Cultural Heritage.
- Intangible Cultural Heritage comprises oral traditions, social practices, performing arts, rituals, knowledge and practices concerning nature and the universe, festive events and traditional craftsmanship knowledge and techniques.
- The convention was adopted by the UNESCO General Conference in 2003 and came into force in 2006.
Kumbh Mela recognised as an Intangible Cultural Heritage
Kumbh Mela was inscribed in this list at 12th session of UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage held in Jeju, South Korea.
- Kumbh Mela which is held in Allahabad, Haridwar, Ujjain and Nasik has been adjudged by UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Committee as the largest peaceful congregation of pilgrims on earth.
- Before Kumbh Mela, yoga and Nouroz were the two latest inscriptions in the list from India.
Naples pizza twirling wins coveted UNESCO ‘intangible’ status
On December 7, 2107, the art of ‘pizzaiuolo’, which has been handed down for generations in Naples (southern Italian city) was inscribed in UNESCO’s Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
- The art of “pizzaiuolo” is a culinary practice consisting of four different phases including twirling of the dough and its baking in a wood-fired oven.
- Nearly 2 million people had signed a petition to support Naples’ application for including “pizzaiuolo” in the list.
Quick Facts about UNESCO:
- Formed in – 1945
- Headquarters – Paris, France
- Current Director General – Audrey Azoulay