The 134th Edition (127th staging of the Ladies’ Singles Championship event, the 53rd in the Open Era) of Wimbledon Championships 2021 was held at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, UK from 28th June – 11th July, 2021.
- It is one of the 4 Grand Slam tennis tournaments (others being Australian Open, French Open and the US Open) and takes place in Grass court.
- It has been held since 1877. The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (AELTC) & International Tennis Federation (ITF) organized the tournament.
- The 2020 Wimbledon Championships were cancelled due to COVID-19 (1st cancellation of the Tournament since World War II).
Novak Djokovic wins 6th Wimbledon Title & Overall 20th Grand Slam Title
Novak Djokovic (Serbia) defeated Matteo Berrettini (Italy) to win the Men’s Singles Title of Wimbledon. It is Djokovic’s 6th Wimbledon Title (3rd consecutive one) & 20th Grand Slam Title.
- With 20 Grand Slam Titles, he has equalled the men’s record for most Grand Slams won by a man, which is jointly held by Roger Federer (Switzerland) and Rafael Nadal (Spain).
- Djokovic is the only man since Australia’s Rod Laver (1969) to win the first 3 major Grand Slams (Australian Open, French Open & Wimbledon) of a season in a single year.
- Djokovic’s 1st Wimbledon Title came in 2011. He won his 1st Grand Slam Title at the Australian Open in 2008.
- Marija Cicak (Croatia) who officiated the final became the 1st female chair umpire for a Men’s final.
Ashleigh Barty wins Women’s Single Title of Wimbledon 2021
Ashleigh Barty (Australia) defeated Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) to win the Women’s Single Title of Wimbledon. This is her maiden Wimbledon Title and became the 1st Australian Woman to win the Wimbledon Title after Evonne Goolagong Cawley (1980).
- This is Barty’s 2nd Grand Slam Title after the victory at French Open in 2019.
Nikola Mektic & Mate Pavic win Men’s Doubles Title
Croatian Pair of Nikola Mektic & Mate Pavic defeated Marcel Granollers (Spain) & Horacio Zeballos (Argentina) to win the Men’s Doubles Title of Wimbledon.
- With this, they became the 1st Croatian Pair to win a Grand Slam men’s doubles title.
Elise Mertens, Hsieh Su-wei win Women’s Doubles Title
Elise Mertens (Belgium) & Hsieh Su-wei (Chinese Taipei) defeated Russian pair of Veronika Kudermetova and Elena Vesnina to win the Women’s Doubles Title of Wimbledon.
Neal Skupski & Desirae Krawczyk win Mixed Doubles Title
Neal Skupski (UK) & Desirae Krawczyk (US) defeated Joe Salisbury (UK) & Harriet Dart (UK) to win the Mixed Doubles Title of Wimbledon.
Indian-origin Samir Banerjee wins Boys Singles Title at Wimbledon
India-origin Samir Banerjee who represents US defeated Victor Lilov (US) to win the Boys Singles Title of Wimbledon 2021. He is the 1st American Junior Champion at Wimbledon since Reilly Opelka in 2015.
- Till now, 4 Indian players have won Junior Grand Slam Titles – Yuki Bhambri (2009 Australian Open), Leander Paes (Wimbledon 1990 and US Open 1991), Ramesh Krishnan (French Open and Wimbledon 1979) and Ramanathan Krishnan (Wimbledon 1954).
|Men’s Singles||Novak Djokovic
|Women’s Singles||Ashleigh Barty (Australia)||Karolina Pliskova
|Men’s Doubles||Nikola Mektic & Mate Pavic
|Marcel Granollers (Spain) & Horacio Zeballos (Argentina)|
|Women’s Doubles||Elise Mertens (Belgium) & Hsieh Su-wei (Chinese Taipei)||Veronika Kudermetova & Elena Vesnina
|Mixed Doubles||Neal Skupski (UK) & Desirae Krawczyk (US)||Joe Salisbury & Harriet Dart (UK Pair)|
About All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club (AELTC)
Chairman – I.L Hewitt
Location – London, UK
About International Tennis Federation (ITF)
President – David Haggerty
Headquarters – London, UK