The Italy National Football Team won the 16th Edition of ‘2020 UEFA European Football Championship (UEFA Euro 2020)’ by defeating England on penalties in the finals held at Wembley Stadium, London, UK. This is Italy’s 2nd European Championship Title (1st one was in 1968).
- Leonardo Bonucci (Italy) won the Star of the Match Award.
- For the 1st time, The UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) Euro 2020 was held across Europe, with 11 host cities in all.
- 24 European National Teams participated in the Tournament which took place from 11th June-11th July, 2021.
- UEFA European Championship is a Quadrennial men’s football championship event (held once in 4 years) organized by UEFA.
- Portugal who won the 2016 UEFA EURO Cup held at France were the Defending Champions.
Awards – UEFA EURO 2020
|Alipay Top Scorer Award
(Also known as Golden Boot Award)
|Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)|
|Player of the Tournament
(Also known as Golden Ball Award)
|Gianluigi Donnarumma (Italy)|
|Young Player of the Tournament||Pedro González López (Spain)|
Italian Football Team
Manager – Roberto Mancini, Nickname – Azzurri
- Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini became the oldest EURO-winning captain & Leonardo Bonucci who scored in the finals became the oldest goalscorer in the finals.
- Italy lifted their 2nd EURO Trophy after 53 years (1968) – the longest gap between titles for any nation in the competition’s history.
- During the Tournament, Cristiano Ronaldo equalled the world record for international goals, taking his tally to 109 to go level with Iran’s Ali Daei.
- Italian Goalkeeper Donnarumma who won the Golden Ball Award is only the second goalkeeper ever to win the award, Kasper Schmeichel (Denmark in 1992) was the first.
- The Silver Boot award (2nd best scorer) went to Czech Republic’s Patrick Schick, while the Bronze Boot award went to France’s Karim Benzema.
About Union of European Football Associations (UEFA)
President – Aleksander Čeferin
Headquarters – Nyon, Switzerland