US based aerospace company SpaceX has successfully landed a reusable rocket on an ocean mode,the Falcon 9 rocket successfully lofted the Dragon spacecraft into orbit.
- The spacecraft is an inflatable habitat called the Bigelow Expandable Activity Module, or BEAM for short.This is the fourth time SpaceX had tried to land its Falcon 9 on a drone ship.
What the Dragon Carries:
- Dragon spacecraft which is filled with7,000 pounds of cargo and an inflatable room to be delivered to the International Space Station
- The Dragon is also carrying some seeds (for the astronaut’sspace vegetable garden), live bacteria, and a student project (to study crew DNA to see how it changes in space).
- The freight including 20 mice for a muscle study, and cabbage and lettuce plants for research as well as crew consumption. This is intended to study how pathogens might affect astronauts’ health during deep-space missions.
- The expandable space hotel is a prototype for what could eventually be used as shelter during missions to Mars.
- A robotic arm will place the Bigelow Expandable Activity Module onto a free port of the space station after it arrives at the ISS. From there, the crew will inflate and test the room.