HRD Minister Smriti ZubinIrani launched a portal for registration and allotment of International Standard Book Number (ISBN) at a function held in New Delhi
- The portal was launched by Education Minister which will simplify the process and shorten the time period for procuring ISBN, which normally takes a few months.
- The proposed portal seeks to completely automate the process of seeking application, their examination and allotment of ISBNs.
- This initiative will pave the way for centre’s ambitious Digital India campaign, the HRD Ministrywill ensure ease of registration, enhanced accessibility, wider transparency, trust and credibility and greater efficiency in the move.
- Using this portal, publishers and self-publishing authors will be able to get ISBN in a week’s time. The hard copy of documents will also be not needed unless they are required for establishing the applicant’s identity.
ISBN Agency in India:
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy National Agency for ISBN is responsible for ISBN registration in India.It is nodal agency affiliated with UK based international ISBN agency.
- The International Standards Organization (ISO) changed the length of the International Standard Book Number (ISBN) from 10 to 13 digits, effective January 1, 2007.
- ISBN is displayed in barcode format, ISBN is a 13 character identification allotted by International ISBN Agency through the National ISBN Agency
- ISBN is free in India unlike other countries like US and UK where publishers need to pay huge money for its registration.