In the 70th Santosh Trophy Football Championship Tournament Services beat Maharashtra 2-1 to clinch title for fifth time. Riding on Arjun Tudu’s double strike helped the side to lift the trophy.
- Services on Sunday retained the Santosh Trophy National Football Championships title after beating hosts Maharashtra 2-1 in the title clash inthe Final at the SEC Railway Stadium Nagpur .
- Tudu, a national camper for the SAFF Cup last year, scored twice in the space of 11 minutes to help Services clinch their fifth title has been adjudged as Man of the Match.
- Services the Winners of the Trophy along with a Cheque of Rs. 5 lakh and the runners-up received a prize of Rs. 3 lakhs from Mr.Devendra Fadnavis, the Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
Santosh Trophy Football Championship:
- The trophy instituted in 1941 is an annual Indian football tournament which is contested by states and government institutions.
- The trophy as named after the late Maharaja Sir Manmatha Nath Roy Chowdhary of Santosh presently in West Bengal.
- Santhosh Trophy was the leading football competition in the country before theNational Football League started in the year 1996.
- Bengal being the most successful side in the tournament with 31 titles.