UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has been honoured with Russia’s Order of Friendship by Russian President Vladimir Putin and the honour was published on the Russian official legal information site.
About Order of Friendship Award:
State beautification of the Russian Federation
Established by: Presidential decree 442 of March 2, 1994
Purpose: To award foreign nationals whose work, deeds and efforts were aimed at the betterment of relations with the Russian Federation and its people
Presidential decree on June 8, 2016:
For special services in the strengthening of peace, friendship, cooperation and understanding among peoples, honor Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations, citizen of the Republic of Korea, with the Order of Friendship
About Awardee and his contribution:
- Special qualities in strengthening peace, friendship, cooperation and mutual understanding between peoples.
- Ban Ki Moon charged as the UN Secretary General on 01.01.2007 and re-elected in 01.01.12 for five year tenure.
Among those awarded are:
- Prince Michael of Kent, Oscar Niemeyer
- The architect of the Brazilian capital
- Former President of the International Olympic Committee, Jacques Rogge