The 8th edition of the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards was held in New Delhi to honour the finest in Indian journalism in print and TV across languages.
- Union Minister for Finance, Corporate Affairs and Information & Broadcasting Arun Jaitley presented the awards to journalists selected by an eminent jury.
- During function winners of 2013 and 2014 were honoured. There were 29 winners from 2013 and 27 from 2014.
5 member jury comprised of – Supreme Court Judge B N Srikrishna , HDFC Ltd Chairman Deepak Parekh, Founder of Asianet TV Channel and Chairman of Asian College of Journalism Sashi Kumar, Former Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi and journalist Pamela Philipose.
Lifetime Achievement Award
Veteran journalist, columnist and author Kuldip Nayar was honoured with Lifetime Achievement Award for his contribution to journalism.
- Nayar is former editor of the Indian Express.
- During Emergency he was jailed under the Maintenance of Internal Security Act (MISA) for leading a protest against the excesses of the administration.
Prakash Kardaley Memorial Award for Civic Journalism
Radheshyam Bapu Jadhav of Times of India bagged the Prakash Kardaley Memorial Award for Civic Journalism for 2014 for his reports on illegal buildings in Pune and the fear of the residents.
Sanjiv Sinha Memorial Award for excellence in Reporting
Priya Chandrashekhar Memorial Award for excellence in Editing
About Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards
These awards are instituted by the Ramnath Goenka Foundation to celebrate the legacy of the iconic founder of The Indian Express Group, recognise and honour excellence in journalism and showcase outstanding contributions and individuals every year.
- Categories cover the print and broadcast media spectrum, investigative, political and sports journalism, to books, feature writing and regional language.
- The individual awards include prize money of Rs 1 lakh.