Raj Kamal Jha, Indian Author and the Chief Editor of The Indian Express wins 3rd Edition of Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize 2020 for his literary fiction novel ‘The City and the Sea’which was published by Penguin Random House India Private Limited. This is Raj Kamal Jha’s 5th novel.
His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Said, late Sultan of Oman and The People of Oman and Sandip Soparrkar a renowned dancer choreographer from India named as the winner of TagorePrize for Social Achievement 2020.
Due to COVID-19 pandemic, The name of the winners were announced virtually on December 7th 2020 from Copenhagen, Denmark.
i.The winners will receive a amount of USD 5,000 along with a Rabindranath Tagore statuette. The amount will be delivered in USD 1000 monthly installments & Rabindranath Tagore statuette will be awarded.
ii.The previous winners received USD 10,000, the amount was decreased due to COVID-19 pandemic.
About ‘The City and the Sea’
- The novel is based on the December 2012 Nirbhaya rape and murder case
- It was published by Penguin Hamish Hamilton
TagorePrize for Social Achievement 2020
i.His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Said named as the winner of the prize for his peacemaking efforts.
ii.Rabindranath Tagore statuette will be awarded to his successor His Majesty Haitham bin Tariq Al Said, Sultan of Oman.
iii.Sandip Soparrkar from India named as the winner of this prize for his contribution to the betterment of society through his initiative ‘Dance for a Cause’.
- He used dance as a medium to bring awareness on the values of the society, consequently serving humanity by alleviating global problems such as domestic violence, acid attacks, drug abuse, AIDS, cancer care, care for seniors, adoptions, and animal protection, etc.
About Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize & Social Achievement Prize:
i.The annual Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize was instituted in 2018 to honour the legacy of Rabindranath Tagore by Peter Bundalo of US-based independent and non-profit publishing house Maitreya Publishing Foundation (MPF).
ii.In 2019, the prize was split into 2 fold as Literary Prize and Social Achievement Prize
- The Literary Prize is awarded to the finest in Indian literature.
- The Social Achievement Prize is awarded to recognise a person who has made a positive and lasting impact on society.
Chair of the Awarding Committee and Founder of Rabindranath Tagore Literary Prize– Peter Bundalo
Recent Related News:
On 7th November 2020, the book “Moustache” (original Malayalam title – “Meesha”) authored by Malayalam writer S. Hareesh and translated to English by Jayasree Kalathil won the JCB Prize for Literature 2020 worth Rs.25 lakhs. The book was published by HarperCollins India in 2020. This is the 2nd Debut novel and 2nd Malayalam Translation to Win the JCB prize for Literature.