Hello Aspirants. Welcome to Online Quantitative Aptitude Section in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Time and Distance with Explanation, which is common for all the IBPS,SBI,SSC and other competitive exams. We have included Some questions that are repeatedly asked in bank exams !!!
- A truck covers a distance of 376 km at a certain speed in 8 hours. How much time would a car take at an average speed which is 18 kmph more than that of the speed of the truck to cover a distance which is 14 km more than that travelled by the truck ?
A. 6 hours
B. 5 hours
C. 7 hours
D. 8 hoursAnswer – A. 6 hours
Speed of the truck = Distance/time = 376/8 = 47 kmph
Now, speed of car = (speed of truck + 18) kmph = (47 + 18) = 65 kmph
Distance travelled by car = 376 + 14 = 390 km
Time taken by car = Distance/Speed = 390/65 = 6 hours.
- Two cars start together in the same direction from the same place. The first goes with uniform speed of 10 kmph. The second goes at a speed of 8 kmph in the first hour and increases its speed by 1/2 kmph each succeeding hours. After how many hours will the second car overtake the first, if both cars go non stop?
A. 8 hours
B. 7 hours
C. 6 hours
D. 9 hoursAnswer – D. 9 hours
The second car overtake the first car in x hours
Distance covered by the first car in x hours = Distance covered by the second car in x hours
10x = x/2[2a + (x-1)d]
10x = x/2[2*8 + (x-1)1/2]
x = 40 -31 = 9
- A car runs at the speed of 50 km per hour when not serviced and runs at 60 kmph when serviced. After servicing the car covers a certain distance in 6 hours. How much time will the car take to cover the same distance when not serviced?
A. 8 hours 12 minutes
B. 6 hours 15 minutes
C. 8 hours 15 minutes
D. 7 hours 12 minutesAnswer – D. 7 hours 12 minutes
Time = 60*6 / 50 = 7 hours 12 mins
- Two cars namely A and B start simultaneously from a certain place at the speed of 40 kmph and 55 kmph, respectively.The car B reaches the destination 2 hours earlier than A. What is the distance between the starting point and destination?
A. 8 hours 12 minutes
B. 6 hours 15 minutes
C. 7 hours 20 minutes
D. 7 hours 12 minutesAnswer – C. 7 hours 20 mins
Let the time taken by car A to reach destination is T hours
So, the time taken by car B to reach destination is (T – 2) hours.
S1T1 = S2T2
=> 40(T) = 55 (T – 2)
=> 40T = 55T -110
=> 15T = 110
T = 7 hours 20 minutes
- A thief is spotted by a policeman from a distance of 200 metre. When the policeman starts chasing , the thief also starts running. If the speed of the thief be 16kmph and that of policeman be 20kmph, how far the thief will have run before he is overtaken?
A. 800 m
B. 700 m
C. 650 m
D. 750 mAnswer – A. 800 m
d = 200 m, a = 16kmph = 40/9 m/s, b = 20kmph = 50/9 m/s
Required Distance D = d*(a/b-a)b= 200*(40/9/10/9) = 800m
- A bus travels at the rate of 54 kmph without stoppages and it travels at 45 kmph with stoppages. How many minutes does the bus stop on an average per hour?
A. 8 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 10 minutes
D. 4 minutesAnswer – C. 10 minutes
Due to stoppages, the bus can cover 9 km less per hour[54 -45 = 9]
Time taken to cover 9 km =(9/54) x 60 = 10 minutes.
- The ratio between the rate of speed of travelling of A and B is 2:3 and therefore A takes 20 minutes more than time taken by B to reach a particular destination. If A had walked at double the speed, how long would he have taken to cover the distance?
D.30 minutesAnswer – D.30 minutes
Let B and A takes T minutes and (T + 20) minutes respectively.
Speed Inversely proportional to time, So time taken by A and B is
(T + 20) : T = 1/2 : 1/3 = 3 : 2
=> (T + 20)/T = 3/2
=> 2T + 40 = 3T
T = 40
A takes (T + 20) = (40 + 20) = 60 min. If A had walked at double the speed then the time taken by A is 30 minutes.
- Anu normally takes 4 hours more than the time taken by Sachin to walk D km. If Anu doubles her speed, she can make it in 2 hours less than that of Sachin. How much time does Sachin require for walking D km?
A. 10 hours
B. 4 hours
C. 8 hours
D. 9 hoursAnswer – C. 8 hours
Let Sachin takes x hours to walk D km.
Then, Anu takes (x + 4) hours to walk D km.
With double of the speed, Anu will take (x + 4)/2 hours.
x – (x + 4)/2 = 2
=> 2x – (x + 4) = 4
=> 2x – x – 4 = 4
x = 4 + 4 = 8 hours
- Sohail covers a distance by walking for 6 hours. While returning, his speed decreases by 2kmph and he takes 9 hours to cover the same distance. What was his speed while returning?
A. 2 kmph
B. 5 kmph
C. 4 kmph
D. 7 kmphAnswer – C. 4 kmph
The speed of Sohail in return journey = x
6(x + 2) = 9x
=> 6x + 12 = 9x
=> 9x – 6x = 12
x = 4kmph
- A car reached a certain place ‘Q’ from ‘P’ in 35 min with an average speed of 69 kmph. If the average speed is increased by 36 kmph, then how long will it take to cover the same distance?
A. 25 minutes
B. 23 minutes
C. 27 minutes
D. 29 minutesAnswer – B. 23 minutes
Distance between P and Q = 69 x (35/60) km = 161/4 km
New speed = (69 + 36) kmph = 105 kmph
Required time = 161/(4 x 105) hours
= (161 x 60)/(4 x 105) min
= 23 minutes.