Hello Aspirants. Welcome to Online Quantitative Aptitude Section in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Time and Distance with Explanation, which is common for all the IBPS,SBI,SSC and other competitive exams. We have included Some questions that are repeatedly asked in bank exams !!!
Questions Penned by Yogit
- Excluding stoppages, a train can travel with a speed of 60km/hr but with stoppages it can travel at an average 45km/hr. For how many minutes the train stops in one hour.
e) None of theseAnswer – c) 15min
due to stoppages 15km less is travel by train so,
15 = 60*t, t = 15 minutes – train stops in one hour
- Two trains are travelling towards each other. The distance between the trains initially is 400km. After some time they meet at a distance of 150 km from one end. Find the ratio of the speed of the trains.
e) None of theseAnswer – b) 3:5
At some tine T they meet each other so,
150/a = 250/b (a and b are the speeds of the train respectively)
So, a:b = 3:5
- A thief steals a car at 3 pm and drives at 75 km/hr. He got discovered by the police at 4 pm Then the police start chasing him in another car travelling at 100km/hr. When will the policeman catch the thief?
e) None of theseAnswer – c) 7pm
In one hour thief will travel 75 km. Now let after x distance thief get caught, then
x/75 = (75+x)/100
u will get x = 225, so to travel 225 + 75 = 300 km by police, he will take 3 hours i.e at 7 pm
- A journey of 800 km is done in a total of 10 hours, If 320 km is travel by train and remaining by bus. The same journey is done in 8 hours if 240 km is travel by train and remaining is done by bus. Find the ratio of the speed of train to bus.
e) None of theseAnswer – c) 1:11
10 = 320/st + 480/sb and
8 = 240/st + 560/sb
st and sb are the speeds of train and bus respectively
- If a man walks to his office at 5km/hr, he will be late by 30 minutes. If he walks at 6km/hr, he will be
late by 10minutes. Find the distance between his home and office?
e) None of theseAnswer – b) 10km
Let distance be D km, then,
D = 5*(t + 1/2) and D = 6*(t+ 1/6) solve both question and we get D = 10km
- Rakesh travelled 1800 kilometre by air which formed 3/5 of the total journey. He travels 1/4 of the trip by car and the remaining trip by train. Find the distance travelled by train.
e) None of theseAnswer – b) 450
3/5 of D = 1800. So D = 3000 km,
so distance travelled by train = 3000 – 1800 – 1/4 of 3000 = 450
- Arya starts cycling along the boundaries of the squares. She starts from a point A and after 90 minutes she reached to point C diagonally opposite to A. If she is travelling with 20km/hr, then find the area of square field.
e) None of theseAnswer – b) 225
D = 20*3/2 = 30 km. So side of square is 15km, so area – 225km^2
- The distance between two cities P and Q is 300km. A train starts from station P at 10 am with speed 80 km/hr towards Q. Another train starts from Q towards P with speed 40km/hr at 11 am . At what time do they meet?
b) 12.40 pm
c) 12.50 pm
d) 1 pm
e) None of theseAnswer – c) 12.50 pm
First train starts at 10am so in one hour it covers 80 km in one hour. Now distance b/w P and Q is 220. Suppose at some’ x’ km they meet. So,
x/80 = (220-x)/40
x = 440/3. The time after which they meet = (440/3)/80 = 11/6 i.e = 1hr 50 min.
- A walks with a speed of 6 km/hr and after 5 hr of his start, B starts running towards A at a speed of 8 km/hr. At what distance from start will B catch A.
e) None of theseAnswer – c) 120
In 5hrs, A will cover 30 km. Now, at some distance ‘x’. So A will cover X distance and B will cover 30 + X.
x/6 = (30+x)/8
x = 90. So distance from start after which B will catch A = 120km
- Two guns were fired from the same place at an interval of 13 minutes but a person travelling in a train approaching the place hear the second sound after 12 minutes than the first. Find the speed of the train. Consider sound travels at a speed of 330 meter per sec.
e) None of theseAnswer – c) 99km/hr
Sound travels at 330m/sec. In one minute sound travel = 330*60 meter.
So speed of train = (330*60)/720 = 330/12 m/sec or 330/12 of 18/5 = 99 km/hr