On November 17, 2017, Punjab State Cabinet approved ‘Punjab Victim or Their Dependents Compensation Scheme’which stipulates to provide minimum compensation of Rs three lakh to an acid attack victim.
- Every year, Punjab State Government’s department of home affairs and justice, will allocate a separate budget to the department of legal and legislative affairs to provide compensation under this scheme.
- As per the order of Supreme Court, the state government would provide a minimum compensation of Rs three lakh each to the victims of acid attack. In case of death of such victim, the family will be provided an assistance of Rs. 5 lakh.
Punjab introduces ‘Connect With Your Roots’ scheme for Punjabi youth living abroad
Punjab State Cabinet has approved the “Connect with Your Roots” (CYR) programme to reach out to youngsters of Punjabi origin whose parents, grandparents or great grandparents have settled abroad.
- This programme will give such youngsters an opportunity to connect with their ancestral roots and glorious cultural heritage of Punjab.
- Punjab’s NRI Affairs Department is expecting first group of such youngsters (group of 15 youngsters in the age bracket of 16-22) around January 9, 2018, to coincide with the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (NRI Day).
Punjab CM launched an Electronic Total Station (ETS)
On November 17, 2017, Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh launched an Electronic Total Station (ETS) programme aimed at simplifying the complex process of land demarcation.
- ETS programme was launched in the five districts – Amritsar, Jalandhar, Ludhiana, Patiala and Mohali.
Punjab Cabinet approves Cloud-based National Generic Document Registration System (NGDRS)
Punjab State Cabinet has given its approval for a state-of-the-art Cloud-based National Generic Document Registration System (NGDRS), an online interface for citizens to register revenue-related documents across the state.
- On November 17, 2017, Punjab CM Amarinder Singh launched the system through a video conference in Moga and Adampur. This system will be implemented in all 22 districts by March 2018.
- NGDRS will enable automatic calculation of stamp duty, registration and other fees based on collector rates and will thereby reduce dependency on deed writers.