On August 30, 2019, The Prime Minister (PM) of India, Shri Narendra Modi conferred Yoga awards for the year 2019 to the winners of PM’s Award for Outstanding Contribution for Promotion and Development of Yoga at New Delhi. Winners were announced during the International Day of Yoga, on June 21, 2019 at Ranchi, Jharkhand along with the 2 winners of 2018 in an event organized by the Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy (AYUSH). Winners were selected under different categories out of 79 nominations for 2019 and 186 nominations for 2018.
Winners of the year 2019 Yoga Awards are as follows:
|Individual-National category||Swami Rajarshi Muni of Life Mission, Gujarat|
|Individual-International category||Ms. Antonietta Rozzi, Italy|
|Organisation-National category||Bihar School of Yoga, Munger, Bihar|
|Organisation-International Organisation category||Japan Yoga Niketan, Japan|
Winners of 2018 Yoga Awards are as follows:
|Individual- National category||Shri Vishwas Mandalik, Nasik|
|Organisation – National category||Yoga Institute, Mumbai|
Each of them will be felicitated with a Cash Award of Rs. 25 lakh, Trophy and a Certificate.
Launch of 12 commemorative postal stamps
i. The PM Narendra Modi released a set of 12 commemorative postal stamps on 12 modern masters complementing the commitment of the Ministry of AYUSH to acknowledge the great work and achievements of the great Master Healers of AYUSH Systems.
ii. The 12 modern AYUSH masters include:
- Dinshaw Mehta, who was a close confidant of and personal physician to Mahatma Gandhi;
- Hakim Mohammad Abdul Aziz Lakhnawi, who established a medical school in Lucknow in 1902;
- Swami Kuvalayananda, who made Yoga more acceptable to the modern world;
- Hakim Mohammad Kabiruddin, one of the most prolific writers and a great academician of Unani medicine in the 20th century;
- Dr K G Saxena, an eminent homeopathic doctor;
- Vaidya Shastri Shankar Daji Pade;
- T V Sambasivam Pillai who authored the ‘Siddha Cyclopaedic Medical Dictionary’, a work of unprecedented scale and erudition.
- Vaidya YadavJi TrikamJi Acharya, a bright luminary and successful practitioner of Ayurveda, who founded the Ayurveda Granthamala Trust.
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
- Bhaskara Vishwanath Gokhale
- K Raghavan Thirumulpad
- Brihaspati Dev Triguna
i. The Prime Minister Modi launched 10 AYUSH Health and Wellness Centres (AYUSH HWCs) located in Haryana.
ii. Government has set a target of setting up 12,500 Ayush centres across India, to be functional in next 3 years, 4000 of which will be set up in 2019.
About the PM’s Award for Outstanding Contribution for Promotion and Development of Yoga:
The PM’s award for outstanding contribution for Promotion and Development of Yoga had been institutionalized and announced during 2nd International Day of Yoga (IDY) event held at Chandigarh on June 21, 2016 and since then the awards are conferred to the notable contributors in the field.